Will These 3" RF Speakers Fit My Dash?

Yankee John

I was given a pair of new-in-box Rockford Fosgate speakers by a friend who was going to put them in the 3-speaker dash of his '71 Challenger convert- but he sold the car before he installed them.

They are "fanatic" full range 3" speakers model # FRC2203 and they are speced at 15 watts RMS/30 watts peak, freq response is 80hz-22khz, and are 4 ohm. Will these fit under the dash plate in my '87 GN? I know that the factory speakers measure 3.5".

Has any one owned these speakers and can tell me how they sound? I am NOT an audiophile and only want basic, clear sounding tunes. I am going to buy a internal power AM/FM/CD head unit and a pair of compatable 6x9 speakers/adaptors for the back deck (no door speakers).

I mostly listen to talk radio and pop/rock FM. The only time I crank it is when I'm listening to KISS "Detroit Rock City, AC/DC "Highway To Hell, The Cult "Love Removal Machine", Kid Rock "I Wanna Be a Cowboy", and other like jammin' tunes.

Also, Any advice on what brand/model# head unit and rear speakers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice that you can give,
John

I think they only make a 3 1/2" but I have the same in my dash and they sound fine, much better than stock. Do yourself a favor and get some bass blockers or capacitors (same thing) to protect them from bass. I am changing them out soon however for a more elaborate system.

I have Rockford Fanatic RFR-1203 and they are 3.5".

Take about 80 watts RMS and are a midbass/midrange driver.

Awesome sound. :cool:

Not sure if yours will fit easy but they make good speakers.

You don't have to settle for second-rate sound just because you have smaller 3-1/2" openings in your dash. Rockford Fosgate's impressive FRC2203 3-1/2" 2-way speakers boast mica-filled poly woofer cones for superior mid-bass and midrange response. The 1" polyethermide dome tweeters produce clean, natural highs, so you'll enjoy excellent imaging. Grilles are not included. (Factory grilles are appropriate for most installations.)

It looks like they should fit fine. :cool:

Why salvageV6- You sound just like a commercial :D LOL!

Thanks for the input guys!
John

You don't have to settle for second-rate sound just because you have smaller 3-1/2" openings in your dash. Rockford Fosgate's impressive FRC2203 3-1/2" 2-way speakers boast mica-filled poly woofer cones for superior mid-bass and midrange response. The 1" polyethermide dome tweeters produce clean, natural highs, so you'll enjoy excellent imaging. Grilles are not included. (Factory grilles are appropriate for most installations.)

It looks like they should fit fine. :cool:

I also have FRC-1203's in my car. Just bend the mounting tabs a little to lower the speaker down some in the dash for clearance. HTH