will 18,000 GTO's sell ?

CM_Ls1

at between 30-35k sticker price

What do you think of the New GTO and do you think they will sell out ?? or will they go the way of the T-Bird ?

CURRENT/EXPECTED GM OFFERINGS

The newly redesigned Mustang due in 12 months will outsell it 100:1 because its appearance is true to its heritage...the "GTO" is just another imported water-drop jelly-belly commuter egg, with a RWD V-8, with no legitimate connection to its legendary namesake.

Once again, GM has opted for expediency through its merely re-badging an Australian coupe, reminiscent of the European Opel that morphed into the Cadillac Catera for US consumption.

In a related matter, GM STILL has approx. 150 unsold 2002 Z-28s & TAs at dealerships nationwide. Why would the "GTO" fare any better, selling for around 10K more?

Only their truck, Corvette, & (some) Caddy products show any hope GM still has a pulse.

Sad...

Originally posted by CM_Ls1
at between 30-35k sticker price

What do you think of the New GTO and do you think they will sell out ?? or will they go the way of the T-Bird ?

Who in there right mind would buy a GTO for 35K when you can get a Cobra for the same or less price thats WAY faster with the ability to be even faster with a Pulley/Chip change.

I don't think heratige makes any difference what so ever, at least to me.

Look at the WRX, nobody knew what a WRX was 2 years ago, they sell like 30K of them a year now.

If you get the Performance and Price right, People will buy it. Its as simple as that.

The GTO is nothing more than what the Impalla SS was, its a heavy sedan with the same drivetrain as the Vette/Fbody and will need SERIOUS money to compete at the track.

Get a Cobra, It wouldnt even take a second thought.

I wish it were otherwise, but there's no way I'd consider it.

You might see an initial sales blip as people get excited about the new GTO, but can't really imagine the sales persisting-- they priced this one in a very competative range.

For the money I'd much rather have a 2003 cobra, Wrx STI, the new Mitsubishi Evo deal.

At that price I'd think it will also compete, to an extent with the bottom end 4-door import/luxury cars-- I'd also probably drive one of BMWs 3-series products, the A4, and the VW passat, and the Nissan Altima/Maximia.

It's hard to imagine that someone who liked GM products and was thinking about the GTO wouldn't pick up a barely used f-body-- pretty amazing prices on those.

I think the GTO will sell 18,000 copies if the stock performance is good.

I personally like the way the car looks, and I'm GLAD it's devoid of hood scoops, and other nonsense.

I would buy a GTO over a SVT Cobra because I want a powerful, and comfortable car to drive everyday. Not a drag strip queen that beats me up on my commute (Hell, that's why I own a GN).

The car even looks like a modern interpretation of the original horizontal headlamp GTO. Lutz was absolutely right about "retro-styling", it is going to get played out, and it's a flash in the pan.

The GTO is a 2004 performance car, not one that had to go back to how it looked in 1964 to get noticed again.

Originally posted by TriShield
I think the GTO will sell 18,000 copies if the stock performance is good.

I would buy a GTO over a SVT Cobra because I want a powerful, and comfortable car to drive everyday. Not a drag strip queen that beats me up on my commute (Hell, that's why I own a GN).

Ditto :)

I would buy one because It can run hard and fit a few friends/family... Comfortably. Its not a GN, not intended to be either. The GN is the racecar.

For crying out loud guys, we scream for a RWD car - and they make it. Yet we complain... Come on.
:rolleyes:

I think it's a great effort, bringing back V8 & RWD, but using GTO and saying it isn't retro is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. I think they would have done better to make it a new car for the new platform. Would be more accepted that way if they said

Hey! This is the new 2005 Pontiac A$$Grabber! More to come, stay tuned!

Something like that to reawaken interest. In a couple of years let it have it's own styling. What's killing GM is that they want every Chevy to have that chrome bar in the grille, they want every Pontiac to have a Grand Am front clip, etc. If they all look alike, why have so many models? Make the models distinctive. No one wants to buy a $35k car if it will be mistaken for the $20k car. They want it to be obvious what they spent, that's just how (most) people are now.

And bring back the F body as a mass produced kick butt car again, not as some limited production overpriced car version of the SSR.

The part that really rubs me the wrong way is the Holden Monero is the same car. It is built and marketed exclusively in Australia for the US equivilant of $18,000.

For GM to slap a GTO badge on the car, change the front bumper cover and double the price, they can cram it up their collective hind ends. :mad:

Originally posted by GN One Day...
GTO and saying it isn't retro is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. I think they would have done better to make it a new car for the new platform. Would be more accepted that way

And bring back the F body as a mass produced kick butt car again, not as some limited production overpriced car version of the SSR.

Are you kidding me? They resurrected the nameplate for the SAME type of car (midsize, V8, RWD, coupe). I'm happy as Hell it isn't retro, retro is getting immensely played out and Lutz is smart enough to realize that.

GM also doesn't have any American engineered car platforms that are V8 and RWD right now besides the C5. Modifying a GM product sold like that overseas is absolutely brilliant, and it has an American engineered powertrain with an existing aftermarket here to boot. GM saves money, and if it does well we will probably get a good redesign.

As for the F-body, nobody bought them. Why continue to produce them? They were archaic and priced out of the range of the people who actually wanted them.

If GM isn't careful, the same thing will happen to the GTO pricewise. $35k is a little high, but if it really delivers the goods on the street and track I think they will have a winner no matter how much some e-cry about it.

GTO

For that kind of money you could buy a real GTO 65 66 67 and POS beater to get back and forth to work. GM just does not get it anymore. Just MHO

Roger

Originally posted by Joe 1320
The part that really rubs me the wrong way is the Holden Monero is the same car. It is built and marketed exclusively in Australia for the US equivilant of $18,000.

For GM to slap a GTO badge on the car, change the front bumper cover and double the price, they can cram it up their collective hind ends. :mad:

Exactly. I am so tired of being stuck with rediculous prices to make up for GM's lack of efficiency. I am tired of paying for Jack Smith to take home $7 million in bonuses and stock options, and he doesnt even do anything anymore:mad:

What does this car have that a Grand Prix doesnt, besides the powertrain? Certainly not enough to justify $10000.00 more. GM has to quit the gimmicks and deals, and just drop the price of their overpriced cars to get people to buy

Commuter egg

The names you guys have given different cars and products is outstanding!!! Powerchoke, Duraslug ect. ect. I get a laugh out of all the names and use them when I can. $30,000 plus is alot of money, period. The styling of the new GTO is unremarkable at best. Other than a C5 there isn't much that GM makes that does much for me. They made the Aztek though!!!!!!!! Drew:D

Originally posted by CM_Ls1
who says it costs 18K here , it costs about 30K U.S.,

If you went to Australia and purchased a new Holden Monero, you would spend the equivilent of $18,000 US. It has been stated numerous times by several auto mags including GMHTP.