Wierd BS3 fuel situation

jpwalt1987

Guys,

Something weird is going on with my Gen1 BS3 system. While trying to dial in a street tune (93 octane no alky) I found that i was nearing VE values in the 88 range at 19-20 psi and 18* timing. I kept increasing the VE numbers trying to get the AFR down to 11.5 but it doesnt seem to budge at the higher rpms. I have the VE at 95 now at above 4700 rpm but havent got a chance to verfiy that the higher VE numbers have helped. I did notice that I have a correction factor of -10.9 even though I am commanding more fuel. Now here is where it gets stranger..... 10.9 is the maximum POSITIVE correction I have input!! The maximum negative correction is -5.5 under full load. I find it to be a strange coincidence that instead of adding fuel, it is taking out the same percentage that is in the positive correction table.

I have some 55 lb/hr injectors and a brand new DeatschWerks pump all hotwired and new filter etc. My gross injector pulswidth at 20psi/18*timing/11.3 afr was 19.2ms. It did get leaner (12.4) as it climbed to 5550 rpm. I haven't been able to spin the engine any higher than 5700 rpm. On the O2 correction it does show -10.9. Do yall think that it really is trying to ADD 10.9% even though it has a minus sign in front? I am gonna check my FP as soon as my new seals come in for my gauge. It was set at a base of 43 vac off. I would think that the DeatschWerks pump would be able to keep up regardless though. This is a "right now" tune. I have another car that I am swapping motors with soon and just want this one to be sorta fast but safe until I can get the other car ready for this motor. The motor I am trying to tune is a DLS built 3.8 with ported GN1 heads and a 218/218 roller cam. Not looking to set the world on fire right now, just want to max out these 55s and stop there. Drive it a while and prep the other car. Thanks for any help.

BTW... the wideband has never seen anything but unleaded fuel.

When you are having this problem, are you in the top 3 rows? I was wanting to know your Target A/F at the point where you are having problems. Also, what is your injector duty cycle?

Cal,
yes I am in the third row from the top on the afr scale commanding an AFR of 11.5. I put it in open loop and the car overall runs way better. I was able adjust my VE numbers to make my AFR fall in line to where I want it. When I put it in open loop I wanted to be safe so I had VE of 108 at 17-21psi of boost. The AFR numbers went pig rich. I then started decreasing the VE in that area to get the afr to 11.5. Something is wrong with the correction portion of the program or hardware. I remember Dan Strezo tell me that Joe Lubrant fought a problem like this when the gen 1 BS3 came out and that something was pinned out wrong. IDK. I do know that it runs great in open loop. As far as duty cycle goes, I am in the ball park of 85%-90% @ about 18-19 psi. It is still a bit rich though. I still have my knock detector going off at around 5300 rpm even with a super rich afr and 18* timing(verified). I believe that is valvetrain related. It is kinda noisy. Supposed to have Morrel lifters in there but not sure....sounds like Comps. ;~) Thanks for any help and ideas!! The next car will be getting an XFI for sure.