Why these cars are worth buying and keeping!!

slowcar

Banned
The engines in the TR'S are 20 years ahead of there time... more power then most big blocks and more economical...2 years of production... can we say rarer then Hemis and anything else you can think of that demands BIG Money today?....I do recall offering to buy the two buicks that the gentleman was buying but at that time I had exactly that amount of money to spare... if he said no .. which he did.. well I got no cars... he did buy that really clean 32k mile Blue on Blue T .... he was asking more then he paid...about 3k more.. well account the shipping and maybe $1500 more... WELL GUYS I AM GONNA LET YOU IN ON SOMETHING... How many .. And I do mean HOW MANY OF THESE CARS .... CLEAN ONES ACTUALLY COME UP FOR SALE NOWADAYS???? HMMMM .... Hardly ever....NEVER.....We are not talking SRT8's Or Lexus's or GTO'S or Stangs here.. we are talking about cars which less then 35% of the original production account is gone forever.... They dont build'em anymore obviously .. in over 20 years soon.... They are for collectors and enthusiasts Period... The GN'S are notorious and the T'S and The Limiteds are known amongst us Buick fanatics and when you let a complete fool of these cars in on the rarity .... they cant believe the amount that may exist and how fast the cars were stock....My Limited for example .. well it has leather and some of the other members may own one or there may be more out there for sale...maybe 20-30 around?? But how long will someone want to wait and will it be original and clean?? Maybe a handful are like this and maybe a half a dozen come up for sale a year... GN'S?? WELL clean ones are now being sold on ebay with low miles... going for crappy bids and nobody is looking at them now...not as much as they should...We are about to hit the 20 year mark and these cars are going to fly in value.... no BS.... what other cars in the 80's had any kind of performance at all? A calloway vette? Crap..... A porche... yeah right...TA'S...maybe but they wont see any real money....TTA'S? they will start to go up but the whole Pontiac thing hurts them a little...on the other hand the TR'S were the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile car next to the Countach in the world as for as production goes... What does this mean? Serious Interest and collector status... The GNX is seeing it first and why? Because it was the highest cost and most recognized car at the end of the era of these TR'S.... All the other cars are going to follow.... There were a ton of Hemis, Shelbys, LS6'S in the early 90's available and they were just starting to take off like rockets and now going on almost 35 years ... wow...a bit more rare .... a lot more money.... It also comes down to what a person wants for their cars... The new GT500's Are stupid priced... 65k for a modified mustang... yeah at 10k units a year...no rarity on that one... only an idiot will pay that much... and a lot of people are.. they are listening to a dealer tell them that the cars are a one on production and no more to be built... 5 sec. on the net shows otherwise...But people are coughing up the dough.... think about it if someone will pay it then why not sell it to them? This kills the market all together.....Back to the Buick...19 years and counting.. the cars are only getting rarer and harder to find.... And can you live with the fact that you let a car that you may never see again in a long time for sale go because you were penny pinching on the notion that the other guy paid less?? Give me a break....you want it ... you buy it.. what are we talking about here guys ..cars that are costing us less then a base Hyundai at the local dealer???GEESH....Look at the people shelling out 50-70k for a GNX ... and you will say well those people have got the loot? Yeah right most of them are getting loans and taking out second house loans... why? Because they feel a rise in value IN THE FUTURE and it is what they want... Well I can buy 5 of my cars for the price of one of the GNX's...and all TR'S give you the same enjoyment and driving experience when stock...no substitute for the turbo 3.8!!! In comparison I have to say that again the price these cars are now should be considered cheap... and it wont be long before the market jumps and people get greedy and wont sell for less then there ASKING PRICES as the GNX'S are now...A USED 3 YEAR OLD PRIUS is selling for more then prime TR'S are selling for... this is crazy...but good time to buy that is for sure...Money is only paper... this car is piece of history...... I have owned A LOT OF CARS... and I always have a love for the TR'S ......It is hard to get one you really want anymore....because nobody is selling them and not many are around to sell.... If it was up to me I would buy a warehouse and put as many as I can away... unmolested and orginal..... money in the bank...but I cant right now....Thats all FOLKS....I rest my case .... oh and the car is still for sale and the highest offer is $16,200....

Are you off your meds?

Just wondering, cause youve posted this and other posts not on the original thread in the cars for sale section? :)

BW

sorry never will be like a Hemi Convert ... your talkin single digit cars .. 25k GN's ... little difference :p and like the single digit cars ..they are worth what someone will pay in CASH .. I have a 66 Shelby convert .. 1 of 4.. last car produced in for the 66 year .. whats it worth ???? nothing but an old Mustang to most folks :redface: :eek: :p

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Are you off your meds?

Just wondering, cause youve posted this and other posts not on the original thread in the cars for sale section? :)

BW

My thoughts exactly.

Don't get your hopes up that a limited will be worth anything down the road. It'll be valuable as far as an old G body goes, but there are several models of G bodies that are much more rare than your car, like 2+2 GP's, Aero coupe MC's, etc., that ain't worth sh!t. Rarity doesn't make a care valuable in itself, the demand has to be there. The general public (most car guys included) knows TR's as "Grand Nationals". Thats why GN's are generally worth more, people want a "GN", not a T type, turbo t, or whatever. GN's are the legendary ones, and regardless of the fact that they are the same car as regular turbo T's, that name will be the thing that brings the numbers.

Don't get your hopes up that a limited will be worth anything down the road. It'll be valuable as far as an old G body goes, but there are several models of G bodies that are much more rare than your car, like 2+2 GP's, Aero coupe MC's, etc., that ain't worth sh!t.

i believe the word here is yet. there not worth anything yet, because "collectors" arent looking for them. g-body guys may be, but not the guys with big money. there will be a point where the 60s and 70s cars will dry up, its already happening. when that happens they will begin to realize how rare these cars are and they will go up in value, a lot. its also not just rarity thats the issue with TRs. they were the highlight of smog era cars. buick actually figured out how to make a powerful car when camaros and vettes were barly getting near 200hp!! not only powerful but definitly unique and dare i say revolutionary?? a fuel injected car when most others were carburated. a six with a turbo instead of a V8. these cars were the best the 80s had to offer this side of the ocean, they are the perfect combination of muscle, style and technology, in my opinion. they are a true musclecar worthy of the same respect of the cars of the 60s.

loki993 said:
i believe the word here is yet. there not worth anything yet, because "collectors" arent looking for them. g-body guys may be, but not the guys with big money. there will be a point where the 60s and 70s cars will dry up, its already happening. when that happens they will begin to realize how rare these cars are and they will go up in value, a lot. its also not just rarity thats the issue with TRs. they were the highlight of smog era cars. buick actually figured out how to make a powerful car when camaros and vettes were barly getting near 200hp!! not only powerful but definitly unique and dare i say revolutionary?? a fuel injected car when most others were carburated. a six with a turbo instead of a V8. these cars were the best the 80s had to offer this side of the ocean, they are the perfect combination of muscle, style and technology, in my opinion. they are a true musclecar worthy of the same respect of the cars of the 60s.

Exactly, but when they do become insanely valuable, the GN's will bring top dollar. I doubt you'd ever see the day a limited brings more money than a GN apples to apples. Now buick specific collectors are a different story, but they appreciate what the cars are. These cars will never be as popular as the hemi cudas and hi-po mustangs and f bodies because the (albeit ignorant) general public wants big V8 power, a loud rumble, etc. Those cars had an image, and the buick might fit that image too, but in a different way that doesn't appeal to alot of people.

yes i am also pretty confident that the GNs and GNXs, already insane, will always fetch the most money. there the more reconized and desirable car, i myself, knowing quite a bit about TRs, am guilty. if i was looking at 2 cars one a T and one a GN and they were the same price i would take the GN, i would probally take the GN if it was a little more also. I know full well that the only difference is black paint and seats and things like that, but I just like the GNs better, they have that mean look. thats said i dont think the Ts will be very far behind the GNs and there are some low production Ts that may be able to give a GN a run for its money. Namley the WE4s, maybe, and the WH1s. but this will only happen when the GNs sharply rise in value and the big money guys start to look at them.
you do make a good point about the general public going for the big v8s though. hey maybe they will never go up that much, great, id love that. 6-15k TRs and GNs for ever, not cheap, but not that expensive when cars from the 60s are anywhere from 25-200k and more for ones in the shape you can get a TR in for 9-15k.

As one editor of a very popular muscle car magazine told me. We cater to the 60's and 70's because thats where the hobby started. It was created by the baby boomers and the market will continue to be controlled by the baby boomers long after they are gone. When there are no more hemis,Shelbys or 442s left to buy or restore than the market will shift to Belvederes, Mustangs and Cutlass's. No body cares about cars that have a cat and a computer no matter how fast or how rare they are.

Thats not an exact qoute but its more or less what was in an e-mail that I recieved after I complained about the lack of coverage in a magazine that will remain nameless to protect the guilty. What ticked me off was that this same rag would have about a dozen pages dedicated to the latest posuer car out of Detroit like the 05 Mustang GT,300C and Charger. Basically what I told them is that I would like to see more cars from the 80's and 90's. After all if it wasn't for our cars, and I truely believe that these new cars wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for the TR, than they should either decide to include them or just stick to pre-computer cars. I didn't particulary like what I read so I stuffed all 12 issues of the previous years subscription in box and mailed them back with a demand of a refund and to cancel my subscription. I'm still waiting for my money. Actually he had a point. There is very little support as far as restoration parts go for our cars. A magazine survives on advertising so you have to go with the money. I wish there weren't so many damned auctions like B-J and Kruse on cable. I'd love to see an "Antiques Roadshow" type show on TV for cars. People could bring their cars and an expert appraiser would give them a low down on what it is worth and why it is worth that much. It pisses me off just to see the market value placed on car just because some body with money paid to much for one at B-J.

loki993 said:
yes i am also pretty confident that the GNs and GNXs, already insane, will always fetch the most money. there the more reconized and desirable car--- thats said i dont think the Ts will be very far behind the GNs and there are some low production Ts that may be able to give a GN a run for its money. Namley the WE4s, maybe, and the WH1s. but this will only happen when the GNs sharply rise in value and the big money guys start to look at them.

The recent surge in GNX pricing (the rising tide) has affected GN pricing and will continue to help all TR's (the rest of us 'boats'). :eek:

Rarity and production numbers will aid when the buyer is educated as to their 'value' by the seller and the Buick TR community in general...

Promote your car and you promote all TR's.... :biggrin: