Why is the shifter so tight after swapping the steering column?

GNVAIR

I figured I would post here since this has to be something that transmission guys have experienced before with G bodies.
My father just bought a 39k mile 88 Monte Carlo SS. It was bare bones except buckets and console. He wanted a tilt column, so I swapped in one from an 86 SS. Before the swap, the shifter worked fine. Now, with the tilt column, it feels like it is really tight. I was having a hard time getting the key out of the ignition and readjusted the rod from the column down to the trans.
I had the same exact problem with my GN and ended up removing the rod because it would never stay in proper adjustment. Is there a secret to getting these things to work right? I have to keep the rod hooked up since New Jersey state inspection requires a functional shift indicator and the the Monte Carlo has it on the dash.

Hi Lee,

There are a couple of possibilities here. On the tranny linkage, there are 2 plastic grommet's, and one nylon bushing on the crossbar. If one of these bushings is worn out or missing, it will cause this problem. I"ll send you some if you find you need them. It's sounds like you have adjusted the linkage. Another possibility could be the "new" column is binding the shift interlock. :)

Thanks for the info Joe. I am suspecting on the Monte Carlo that it is inside the column. Any idea of how to stop the binding? My GN does the samething. As I said, I have the rod removed on that because it broke the shifter cable and wouldnt let me remove the key when I shut the car off.