Why is my new spectra gas tank PUKING??

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I can't even have the pump going half way without gas puking out the tank. WTF?? My car has all new lines on it so I know the vent line can't be plugged. Pisses me off. I can't even fill the POS up past 3/4 of a tank:mad:

is the vent in the filler neck opened up? it allows air to push out past the pump nozzle as the gas is pumped in.

Does the vent have a plug in it? I just saw the one in the neck. Never looked for anything else

I have an aftermarket replacement tank, too. I cannot fill the tank at full velocity, either. It will accept fuel at about half rate, or it will spit back out of the neck. I can, however, fill mine to the full mark without any extra trouble. I suppose that the anti rollover valve is restricting the fuel flow on the way in the tank, and its design will not allow as much volume as the oem tank had. Like everything else aftermarket, your results may vary from unit to unit, I suppose. Thanks, Rudy.

I wish I could fill it at half rate, I wouldn't be complaining about it:rolleyes: I gotta pretty much trickle it in. Takes so long my hand gets tired of holding it before I even dumped 26 bucks in it. Then it wouldn't take any more. Turned the key on expecting it to be full-NOPE! 3/4 of a tank.

Jesse, check the vent line coming off the hanger and make sure its not kinked anywhere.

I inspected the hanger before I installed it (again:rolleyes::mad:) and there were no issues with it, just a little rusty;)

My older "non" baffled (other then a dog dish) spectra is also a pifta... I also obviously have to be careful when I race the car because of the lack of a real baffle :mad: last night I thought I filled it up all the way (after fighting with it for 5 mins) got in the car and started to drive away and the fuel gauge showed in between 3/4 and full... I'd love a "FACTORY" replacement tank that isnt a total pita :rolleyes:

The common fix is to braze/solder two 1/4 90 degree elbows on either side of the filler neck, then fuel line between them. It assists the venting, but should be done before there's gas in it.

I have the same problem with my 90 Fleetwood. I opened up the 2 vents in the filler neck, that helped a little. If I hold the nozzle straight and don't insert it all the way down, it will take fuel at full speed. Very annoying.