Why did ATR go out of business?

reggie44

Hello fellow Turbo Buick Regal enthusiasts:

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened with ATR products and why they went out of business back many years ago? From what I have read about them they seemed to have some really neat Buick Turbo products and wicked exhaust systems. Does anybody know what happened to the old stock they had when they went out of business? ie: auctioned off?? and are there any NOS exhaust systems floating around out there... specifically their GNX reproduction exhaust system with Pitbull mufflers. Thank you for your posts I look forward to hearing some interesting replies.

:biggrin:

Best parts in the world can't make up for poor business sense.

Yeah I agree they had some nice stuff, I run their headers on my car but who knows maybe the had enough of Buick guys and their constant begging for group purchases to save $10 bucks.

The original owners sold the business when it was still fairly sucessful. They had shifted from Buick parts to mostly exhaust systems for many different cars. They still had some Buick items but not near as much as in the past. New managment paid too much for the company and did not know how to run to properly it so they went under.
Mike

I just found a bunch of their old catalogs as we were unpacking...man, I miss ATR. Most of the bolt ons I have are from ATR.

i miss them too. My drivrside and crossover is from them back in early 2000. i did lose over a 100 bucks when they had never heard of me when i ordered after that though.. shame. great products.:D

Was sold to a *rick that had a machine business. His poor attitude, along with his biatch wife, did them in....

Keep them comming...

WOW! Thanks for the great responses and information so far guys... I really appreciate it and it's very interesting and informative. Just curious, does anyone know approximately when ATR started (original owners) and when they sold it and when it went out of business officially?

:confused:

Speaking of ATR, does anyone have the catalog that has the red on the cover? My dads old GN was in it and I think that was the last one they made before they went out of business. If anyone has it, please let me know. Its Rich Braccia or Victory Transmissions

But on a side note, I was sorry to see them go. They were around for a while, and did churn out some pretty cool stuff for their time. Always seemed talkative at any events. Now I'm not sure if I'm thinking original owners or the 2nd, either way, how long has it been?

yup, ATR had some awsome stuff! I believe they did a LOT of R&D for the turbo Regals, especially in the early days. definatley a shame to loose their contribution to our hobby. I never met any of them, but the original guys must have been some die-hard turbo Buick enthusiasts. Fortunately we have a great group of enthusiast vendors which have filled the gap for product development.

Not long after I bought my current GN, I ordered a catalytic converter for the *OLD* ATR pipe that was already on the car. They sold me a beautiful cat. that fit perfectly. I called them back a few weeks later to order a dump pipe and the phone number was "no longer a working number" :confused: I had no idea they were having difficulties.

I have a TON of ATR newsletters from 1987-1995. Lots of good reading. They sure did a lot of R & D for our cars.

They made some great street parts.
I had the headers, 3 inch DP and single shot exhaust.

Not sure racing was their game considering what their twin turbo car ran.

My bros old '86 GN had ATR's 3" dp and 3" duals. Everything fit perfect. I wish they were still around, I'd like to have that exhaust on the Cutlass.:frown:

it is abit sad, i remember the first chip i ever purchased was their "Pitbull chip"
and a cold air intake. they did do alot of R&D as mention'd good prices and great poducts.

Speaking of ATR, does anyone have the catalog that has the red on the cover? My dads old GN was in it and I think that was the last one they made before they went out of business. If anyone has it, please let me know. Its Rich Braccia or Victory Transmissions

But on a side note, I was sorry to see them go. They were around for a while, and did churn out some pretty cool stuff for their time. Always seemed talkative at any events. Now I'm not sure if I'm thinking original owners or the 2nd, either way, how long has it been?

page 24 He is launching to a 9.51 @ 139 mph. It is in the 2003 catalog

Phil was a fun(ny) guy to talk with. Some of the things he told me made me laugh. Shirley was one of the nicest people you could ever deal with in the business. I use to be an ATR Distributor, and they treated me well. THEN.........they moved across the country. (From Kalifornia, to SC.) And I had just made a big order for parts for a car I was working on. I called them and ordered all the parts (a few thousand dollars) and then started tearing it apart. Litterally, two days later, I recieve a notice in the mail that they were moving. I called and asked if my parts had been shipped PRIOR to them moving??? Shirley put me on hold, and then came back on and said that they were already on the train being shipped. She told me it would be approx. 2 months untill they would ship. It ended up being over three months. Would have been nice to know that when I ordered them. That was the beginning of the end. As I see it, anyway. They moved because of the terrible tax and business culture of Kalifornia. I don't blame them for moving. It just would have been nice to know PRIOR to them moving. I could have postponed the build of the guys car. He was VERY angry that I couldn't even give him his car back. I had already pulled the heads and needed headers, turbo, injectors, gaskets, downpipe, exhaust, wastegate (what a PILE that thing is!!:mad: ) And a host of other needed parts to finish the job. ( they were just usually three days shipping away) I don't think he ever understood what happend. (VERY impatient fella, he was.)