Whos running a GT6131E and Stock D5 ?

dsa87gn

How do you like it..if theres lag is it acceptable to you ?

On the fence on a turbo upgrade, but car is coming out soon so i better get moving...

Does the turbo shield fit with this turbo ?

Does the turbo shield fit with this turbo ?

That is the question I was going to ask today.

I am teetering between the 6131 and old faithful, the TA-49. Stock appearing doesn't matter, but the shield does. Of course other things like lag and surge are the bigger issue, but I think I found my answers on that one.

That is the question I was going to ask today.

I am teetering between the 6131 and old faithful, the TA-49. Stock appearing doesn't matter, but the shield does. Of course other things like lag and surge are the bigger issue, but I think I found my answers on that one.

Sound like your in the same boat as me:)

Care to share your findings on lag and surge ?

Get in touch with Mike at Full Throttle, he's using that combo in his car and says it works great.

I have a pristine polished TA-49 with low miles that another board member spoke up for but may not have the cash for. If you gentlemen are interested let me know. I have a Pats 10" LU TC that I could put together in a package deal if this guy backs out. Both are ready to ship right now. PM me if interested.

Sound like your in the same boat as me:)

Care to share your findings on lag and surge ?

Less Lag, No Surge. I'm leaning towards the 6131, I just have to search turbotweaks forum on it to make sure everything is hunky dorry on it on that end.:cool:

I'v got a 6131E on my 86' and LOVE it!!! Now I have a restalled d5 in mine. I will post up later tonight gotta run now.

Without the extra spooling from the Boost Command I thought it had some extra lag but with the turn on point set lower it spools just fine for me.

Lag = poor man's traction control. :D

FWIW, I ran a TE62 with a D5 and didn't mind the lag. Honestly, I think my PT67 would still be OK wit ha D5. Laggy, but still doable.

I'm not running the cover but I think it would fit.

Yes the shield will fit........:) I just recently installed this turbo (GT6131e) on my car and "I like it!!!!! I like it!!!!!!!!!!:D With the stock turbo my car spooled a little slow, so I have some other issues. That being said, this turbo (Again in my car) is a little slow, NOT much though. But remember whatever problem I got with the car spooling up is "NOT" this turbo, This turbo (for a street turbo) ROCKS!!!!!!!!! There is quite a difference between my stock turbo and this turbo. I'm new to turbo cars so I'm going through a learning curve but believe me I'm very pleased this turbo! Bring the car up just a little bit on the converter and the tires don't stand a chance.

Sorry, Yes I do have the original 125,000 mile D5 in the car.

When I ordered the turbo I requested the Heavy Duty (high boost) WG actuator. I believe that a stocker will fit. I bought the turbo from Mike @Full Throttle Speed, he will be able to tell you for sure. What I really like about the turbo and D5 is when I leave a stop light I'll give the car about half throttle, holding the throttle steady, the car starts to accelerate...when the boost hits about 8 psi...the car really starts to pull really hard...I still haven't moved the throttle. I'm just holding the throttle still!!!!:) It's a Kick.........

This turbo sucks!

It inceased the power, reduced the lag, and just made the seat of the pants feeling too enjoyable.

So after it sucks......it blows!

Great upgrade in my opinion.

If you get the 6131e spring for the hd wastegate it will make life easy. I had the stock cover/heatshield on mine. Great upgrade from the stocker!!! Got mine from Mike@full throttle during the Christmas sale and saved enough on the turbo to cover the HD wg!!!:cool: Too bad the first pass I made with the new setup I ate a rod bearing:mad: ....... Nothing to do with the turbo can't wait to get the motor back together and in the car. Good luck Jon Hanson

Any turbo equipped with a TO4E cover (meaning if you see the letter "E" in the part number) will require a specific actuator that has the correct backing plate bracket welded to it. The stock wastegate actuator, will not bolt up to a GT6131E or PT6131E. On the non ball bearing 6131e turbo, the factory heat shield will bolt up perfectly without any modifications. The only two series of turbos that the heat shield will not fit on, without modifications, are the GT3255E and any of the dual ball bearing turbos. On the dual ball bearing turbos, if you run the oil filtration kit that comes with the braided -4 AN oil feed line, the only modification needed will be to trim the back side of the heat shield so that the water coolant lines can be routed properly. IE: Trim the portion of the shield where the two back bolts bolt the shield to the bracket. If not, and you run the replacement oil feed line from PTE, you will have to seriously cut your heat shield to clear the oil feed line at the top of the turbo.
HTH

Patrick

What is this braided line oil filtration kit that you speak of for the BB turbos? I was just getting my parts list together to make my own but would rather by a pre-made kit if one is available.

It is Precision Turbos Oil Filtration kit. It relocates the oil filter to a remote oil filter housing and mounts it onto the radiator support in front and underneath the battery. It comes with a -4 AN Braided SS oil feed line that comes straight off this filter housing, thus providing the turbo with filtered oil. The end of the line that hooks to the turbos oil feed, has a 120* fitting that will attach directly to the -4 AN restrictor fitting that comes with PTE dual ball bearing turbos. It has an aluminum adapter that screws in place of the factory oil filter, with or without the stock oil cooler adapter and has high pressure rubber hoses that are specifically engineered to only go on one way, to keep people from hooking it up backwards. Some people like to call it the Oil Filter Relocation kit and some refer to it as the Oil Saver kit. It retails for around $169.95 or so.
HTH

Patrick

Oh, that is what you were referring to......I thought maybe there was something new. Thanks for the info though....I do appreciate your time!

I have a simple idea using the stock oil feed hook-up at the brass block, running stainless hose and an inline oil filter from Earl's. Then just connect to the restrictor fitting supplied with the turbo.