who shifts into OD

TRENT THOMPSON

this question is probably for those whose cars see faster than 11.50. my question is who is shifting into OD. my reason for asking is the last time out I ran 11.14 at a measly 118.5 staying in D on 26x10 ET Drags. I know the car needs 28" slicks in a bad way but lets say the car has a DR on it that no way measures 28" is the answer too shift into OD. the tranny is built too take it by the way
TIA

I don't know whether this is the answer you are looking for or not, but I know that Geno would shift in OD in his car on all of his low 10 and high 9 passes. He had the same cam as you do but I'm not sure on his tire height. I think he was using 28" or 28.5's. HTH.

If you look at a typical TR power curve and the drop in RPMs from 3rd to OD, the drop isn't all that bad if you can postpone the shift until about 5500 rpm. If you let the trans shift itself at 5K, it will slow down. As steve said, you have to try it.

on the one time i got a desent pass i was on 26" tires and i went to od at the 1000 ft mark and that was on my 121 mph pass.

i have since got taller tires but cant seem to get the car to make another pass...once i get a good turbo then i'll be back and giving it hell.

just try to hold out till 3rd is wound pretty tight then give it od add keep rollin.

keep your experiences coming this helps. so what I am gsthering If I had shifted into OD the MPH would have been where It needed too be