Who is spraying alky on top of E85?

trying to learn.
throwing number from the air.
E85 - 400 hp --100% DC
E85 - 400 hp -- 80%DC + ALKY
Now you have 20% cushion ???????

Alky's primary function is KR suppression?? If E85 is already doing that Why use ALKY??

trying to learn.
E85 - 400 hp --100% DC

Alky's primary function is KR suppression?? If E85 is already doing that Why use ALKY??
That's my understanding of the theory, but in your example with 100% DC your injectors are maxed out, and you're using alky for 20% of your fueling. It seems like to me that banking on a 20% correction if the alky failed seems like a little higher than what I would want to do. Also the alky is just for a little extra knock protection. I was occasionally getting a blip of kr in third gear, so I turned on the alky to 2, and it cleaned it right up. My injectors before alky were at 60% DC. I think someone said it earlier that using the alky to make up for an inadequate fuel system is risky business. Although it still seems safer to me than alky and 93 octane.

That's my understanding of the theory, but in your example with 100% DC your injectors are maxed out, and you're using alky for 20% of your fueling. It seems like to me that banking on a 20% correction if the alky failed seems like a little higher than what I would want to do. Also the alky is just for a little extra knock protection. I was occasionally getting a blip of kr in third gear, so I turned on the alky to 2, and it cleaned it right up. My injectors before alky were at 60% DC. I think someone said it earlier that using the alky to make up for an inadequate fuel system is risky business. Although it still seems safer to me than alky and 93 octane.

the number i used i picked them from the air.
but i do remember a 93/alky conversation that stated that alky covers about 20% of the fueling in THAT mix.

I do get that when pushing the limits one will most likely end up at 100% DC and alky on top of that. which is exactly what i am going to do while tasting E85, If i like it then my alky will take a vacation and the proper injectors will be ordered.

U guys don't need to inject anything with E85. Just have enough injectors & pumps lol..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

trying to learn.
E85 - 400 hp --100% DC

Even with E85, I still get some very mild / occasional knock retard. The car still has the methanol kit installed so why not use it? Turning the meth on even at a very low setting makes the car run 100% clean. Methanol has an even higher octane rating than E85.

Some engines like different a/f ratios depending on the combo that it's working around.

You know what I'm sayin, every car is different and every fuel has it's limits. I wish I could run 11.5 AFR and 30psi boost and 28deg timing but if I did my motor would rattle. Mine has to run richer with less timing to keep it clean.

This is like running race fuel and alky together..Which I have done in the past.
You get the benefits of cool air charge, extra octane, and tun-ability on the fly for weather.
Like Steve said above, if its on the car, why not use it?
My first TTA (in pic above) ran faster with 93/alky vs racegas and plain 93. Ran faster than race gas spraying alky too. All testing done at Bradenton track. This was when Julio was just getting progressive kits together and Eric Marshall had version 1 chip.
Alky makes power. Why throw it out of the equation when little testing has been done?

Lmfao u guys!

Do you really think if we're getting any kr at all then there is something wrong? I had a couple blips of kr early in 3rd last time at the track, and the alky cleaned it right up. For my boost level it seemed normal to me. Not that I was that high on boost, but I was around 27psi.

Notice were all in Illinois. Must be something in the water!!lol:D
Im a Yankee by blood,but a rebel by heart! Sarasota is my 2nd home.

trying to learn.
E85 - 400 hp --100% DC

Alky's primary function is not KR supression. As TT/Ame mentioned, it also cools the charge thus making it denser while also improving intercooler performance, it cools the top of the motor, and works well to clean up your top end too pre-injector. KR supression is a third benefit but it does all three well. It's KR supression on a pump gas tune at high boost, but alky still cools/condenses the charge and cleans even on E85 or race gas. This is why it is still beneficial even on race gas.

This thread is getting way off target.
Alky is not the band-aid for an insufficient fuel system.
E-85 is a primary fuel source but should be tuned as any combo...no knock retard!
Whats works for him may not work for you.

Sooner or later a part will fail because you did not adhere to Buicks settings from the factory and your warranty has expired.
Signing Off.... POOP & GLITTER!!!!

I think on a TTA the alky on top of the E85 is a good idea. Just to cool the intake charge. The TTAs dont get much airflow through the IC anyway.