Who insures your turbo Buick?

TriShield

Buick Turbo Elitist Pr|ck
USAA notified me recently they will no longer fully cover my Grand National...

I called around and it doesn't seem like anyone else will either.

What companies does everyone use to insure their cars for their value?

my dad and i have state farm, i have liability only, and my dad has full coverage for three seasons (stored in winter). i think its some special "collectable" insurance for my dads gn. but mine is a daily drivin car, so it would cost me $1100 for full coverage for just 6 months(but keep in mind im 18)

Mine is only driven in the summer, no daily driving duties here. But when I do have it out I want it fully covered.

USAA refuses to do that.

I HAD Haggerty..they limit you to 1000 miles/yr. I switched to Grundy. www.grundy.com no mile limits. Cost me 330/yr for 25,000 of coverage on my TTA. They are underwritten by Chubb Ins. which is HUGE. Only limitation was no one under 18 or 21 could drive the car..which was not a prob for me. Check them out, can't beat it.

Joe

If you say just the right words during the call to USAA, they will forward you to an underwriter who will write a policy for your classic car. I don't remember the right words to get to the company they deal with.

You could try Grundy's.

You could try RALLY insurance group of Elmhurst, Il: Timothy Luperini, 1-800 801 1823. Tim was recommended to me by a fellow boardmember about a year ago.

RALLY's quote was half USAA's premium and included towing and labor as well as many other things USAA does not offer.

I have State Farm for my daily drivers...for a classic car or collector is stupid for me to do it. They get about 400 for 6 mths coverage vs. 330 /yr. Also, a classic ins. insures you for an Agreed Value..meaning if you insure it for 20k and it's worth 20k..then when something happens..you get it. Rather than a reg. ins. agent who will bicker back and forth and try to pay you 3k for a GN..not worth the hassle.

Joe

I got my insurance through Nationwide. I have mine fully covered, along with my g/f's 88 Grand Am, and her...she's 19. I pay $87 a month. Both cars are driven daily. I'm not sure what I'd get if it got totaled , but Nationwide had better be on my side!:D

Yea, they're on your side..their ad says so! While you're paying that is..then when you put in a claim, they are on their own side ;)

I have mine under USAA also. Liability only I believe. They have a division called Classic Car Insurance that will do the stated value thing. $250 a year. I believe they limit the mileage, you can't us it for anything other than pleasure. No trips to the store or work. And oh yeah, they want you to sign a waiver saying you won't competitive drive it.:rolleyes:
I am thinking of Grundy Insur. I have all the paperwork in front of me. $240 a year for 15K value. No youthful drivers (under 25) no competitve driving. Here's what it says:
"Futhermore, it is understood that physical damage coverage (collision/comprehensive) will not aply for the vehicle other than for hobby purposes. Hobby purposes is defined as exhibition, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Coverage will also not apply if the vehicle is used for racing, rallying or the participation in any speed contest or timed event." They are about the same as the other one but don't limit the miles. Hope this helps.:D

As I understand it, Grundy will not cover your car unless it is damaged going to, at, or leaving a show or parade.

As for Progressive... I have one word: "****". They are overpriced and take forever to pay out claims.

I use GMAC for my Buick since USAA won't cover it. I pay about $80 a month for comp / collision with decent limits here in Las Vegas. I'm also 27 with a squeaky clean record, so that makes a difference.

Peter

Originally posted by 99Formula
As I understand it, Grundy will not cover your car unless it is damaged going to, at, or leaving a show or parade.
Peter

I dont' believe that is correct, I do know that you are not suppose to use it for work, errands, that sort of thing...you will find that with ANY classic car policy. Which is why there is such a huge price difference between a classic vs. normal ins. policy

Why did USAA say they would no longer cover you? I have mine fully insured with them. No stipulation other than milage and recreational use. Did get a letter a while back saying they would not cover any vehicle involved in a race of any kind , track or street.

USAA told me my car was too old for full coverage. I don't know why they let some have it and not others.

Peter