Which turbo?

blackbox

Im looking at replacing a few parts soon. Im going to a th400, external gated setup and an upgraded turbo. Which turbo should i get with my setup with the th400 etc. I would like to be in the 10s easily.

kenne bell intake plenum
70mm throttle body
ported upper intake
ported heads with larger valves
arp head studs
60/65 lb injectors
walbro fuel pump
rjc front mount
razor alky
206/206 hydro roller
th 3" down pipe

i'll vote for the old 70 p-trim with the 4 bolt tangential housing. all my 7 runs have been in the 10's. i hope to have some new times soon. besure to get a good torque converter for whatever you decide. the PTC in my car is awesome....good luck.....................Bob

Thanks for the reply guys. Ill look in to those turbos. Will i have to up my injectors or should i be fine?

6765 tangential 4bolt

I now understand why u said in another post that the PT70 would be a pig (spooling) compared to smaller turbos. My 74 dual BB spools up ten times faster than my PT70 did, I wouldn't advise anyone to use that turbo (PT70) especially if they do a lot of street driving. It didn't spool up fast with my combo and I have 250 cubes.

A guy pm'd me about a week ago interested in buying my PT-70 so I asked him what his set up was... "He seemed newer to the TR community then me". He said he had a stock set up, so I told him I wouldn't feel comfortable selling him the turbo because it would be like robbery. When I told him the long laundry list of mods I felt he should at least have on the low dollar end (stock ported heads and manifold, 70mm plenum and TB, a nice cam, fuel system, FMIC, 3" dp, a nice exhaust system, MAF, and alky) he never replied back.

You did the right thing Rell.
As far as turbo choice... that billet 67 seems to be popular.

spooling

i do limited driving on the street but spool up is instant on my car(stock 231)..i love it on the street. it's all in the torque converter and a good tune.

get a t-brake for the th400..makes staging easier and it's fun:) ....Bob

Sofar, I'm really liking my 70GTQ... Spool is a little laggy, but I actually like it better than the 66bb that would spool just going up a hill.

According to the powerlogger, with 93 octane and alky, it takes exactly 2 seconds to go full boost from the time my foot hits the floor... and I can live with that. With race gas and more timing, I'm sure it will spool much quicker. ;)

Im waiting on my 6765 DBB 4 bolt but it is on back order. I would suggest looking for a 6776 DBB. I just sold mine for $1k. The new buillet turbos are gonna run you about $1800. I certainly didnt need a new turbo, I just like wasting money:mad:

I don't know if it matters or not but I think my old PT70 could of been spooling a lil slower due to the stock headers and 3" DP I had on my car. So I'm thinking since I have the extra cubes (250ci) I could of been a lil more choked up.... U get what I'm saying?

Thanks for the reply guys. Ill look in to those turbos. Will i have to up my injectors or should i be fine?

i think your injectors will be fine with a dual nozzle alky setup...what setup do you have now? i am running about 50% of my 72's right now.....Bob

i am not a fan of ball bearing turbos or the billet ones right now because of pricing. i think that money can be spent else where to make the car faster. First and second gear in my car on the street is useless. lots of wheel spin. it's fun though:) ............Bob

Its not going to be used more for the track than on the street. I will take it out every once in awhile but track mostly.

I've not looked at buying a turbo in awhile. I have noticed the price on bb and billet are way up there.