Which rings for JE pistons?

Kansas T

GOT BOOST?
Which rings should I use with .020 over JE pistons? I had a blowby problem using the rings I got with the pistons, and now since the motor is apart I need to replace them.

I wasnt burning oil, just pressurizing the crankcase very badly. I would also love to try the Toal Seal rings, but the tech guy I talked with said they dont have any for those pistons. JE's use a smaller ring than the stock pistons. Was this guy wrong, have others used Total Seals with .020 over JE's?

I am using Total Seal rings on my JE .020 over pistons.

Used p/n 5899 t. These are "file to fit" rings.

I filed the top ring to .020 and the 2nd ring to .016.

I used the manual ring filer from Summit, took me about 4 hrs to do all 6 pistons.

The JE piston p/n are 131556.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks for the info. I'll call Total Seal Tuesday and find out why they dont want to sell me their rings.

Kansas T,

Did you end up getting a set of Total Seals for you .020 JE's? Did you get the Total Seal top or 2nd ring? Do you have any part numbers that you could post?

Thanks.

Total Seal part number for JE .020" pistons - # TL7255 45-1 .(per cyl : 1/16" , 1/16", 3/16" ring pak) . you have to order 6 sets of the above number .
Contact Ed Law sales/Tech TotalSeal 1-800-874-2753 . good luck :) .

I would use there rings if you really must ,but don't use there oil rings, i would never go back to total seals ever again. I bunred so much oil with them. I run JE rings , no blowby .018 gaps on top and 2nd ring on 3.820 bore, just my opinion

JE .020" Piston #131556 :1/16" , 1/16", 3/16" .

JE Ring Pak Part # J10006-3820-5

Sealed Power Ring Pak # R9983

Hastings Ring Pak # 2M25527 020 (only comes in a 4 cyl pak) .

I got Total seal gapless top rings. I dont have the part number anymore, but Total seal was able to give them to me. They recommended I order from Jeg's or Summit due to a reduced price. Direct from total seal was more expencive. I havent had any ring problems with them. I just cant keep main bearings in the car.

You can get a non gapless total seal ring, but I think they are all still file fit. I had to file fit the TS gapless rings in my car. The gapless ring is 2 peice setup, and they both still need a gap in them for heat expantion.

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I just saw a TS set and they do need to be filed to fit. I was thinking of the CA ones that have an overlapped end fit! My machine shop said they are the only ones to run! Less than 2% leak down. He builds a lot of Chevy Engines but also owns 3 TR's and know these engines too! Gene
Total Seals need file fit to keep your rings from butting and pulling the piston apart. You sure CA aren't the same? Regardless, they don't make TR sizes....... for the Chevy boys.

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I just saw a TS set and they do need to be filed to fit. I was thinking of the CA ones that have an overlapped end fit! My machine shop said they are the only ones to run! Less than 2% leak down. He builds a lot of Chevy Engines but also owns 3 TR's and know these engines too! Gene

I'm pronoun challenged. Which are the "ones to run", CA or TS?

tyvm,
Tom

CA= Childs and Albert= You can't run because they don't make them in our sizes.

TS= Total Seal= You can get tops or seconds. Tops= $220 and Seconds= $140. Tops supposedly are better and yield 20 HP more.

I understand all of that, just wanting to know which brand is "the one" in opinion of Gene's machine shop.

Tom

Originally posted by tminer
I understand all of that, just wanting to know which brand is "the one" in opinion of Gene's machine shop.

Tom
Gene's shop is talking about the Childs and Albert zero gaps. They are SBC. Nice rings but they don't make sizes to fit our motors. I checked a while back :D Next best thing are Total-Seal top rings.

Thanks Gene. My Eagle should land today, Wisecos are here, but I only dream of the TA block.

I'm curious as to why external balance? I am under the impression that internal is better and was even considering converting my stock crank if Eagle didn't come through.

tyvm,
Tom

I think that with the 109 block I'll do the girdle. From my understanding the 4340 crank still flexes, it just tolerates it better.

Do you have a feel for the cost of machining for your TA block? With caps, girdle and machine work on the 109 I might be better off just ponying up. I'd bet the TA will hold it's value better too.

Tom