Which Heads

Originally posted by VictoryTrans
And also does anyone know how much the TA heads are supposed flow as compared to GN-1R's, GN-1's and S2 heads?

I have a set of these heads on order. I have been told ported flow numbers but nothing out of the box so that would not be good info to compare with GN1. All I can tell you is the std valve size is 1.94/1.60 option is 2.02/1.60. The valves have been moved to the center of the cyl. allowing the 1.94/160 to be used on a 3.8 bore so the intake valve is unshrouded.

Originally posted by Trbobuick
1st- the 3.8 bore will have to be "fisheyed" to fit the r head.

2nd- my regular gn1's were CNC at champion and tom did an awsome job- 251 cfm @ 600...and yes a flow sheet was included.
He is just as cheap or expensive as anybody out there and he knows the heads he created.

As far as sealing gn-1's........six gm "caddilac tabs" and its sealed.

Your regular GN-1's outflow my "R" heads. I don't see exhaust flow #'s and flow benches vary, so ultimatley both sets of heads should be flowed by the same guy on the same flow bench to be accurate.

Ted

I have never seen a two piece head. I can't imagine how much hp (or poor tuneup?) it would take to do that.

I did just have a crack appear near an exhaust port. I found the problem, I had a coolant hole that wasn't drilled out in the gasket (my fault). Even hurt, it made 914 on a Mustang dyno (would be over 1000 on a Dynojunk)

What flow numbers are they telling you on the T/A heads?

My GN-1 R heads flow more at .350 and below, even out at .400, and flow less at .450+ vs my standard GN-1's (fully ported)

I'm looking to purchase a set of heads as well...Any known problems with the latest Champion castings? Kinda scared of "new" products even though we are talking about TA performance....I'd rather go with a head that is proven rather than be a test mule for a new product...Unless they are free : )Give them a year or so to work out the bugs, etc....Cal, for a 10.50 car on DR's would you run an out of the box set of Champions? Or have them ported? Buildup is a 274" off center with a mild camshaft/turbo combination...It's been 11.0's at 126 with loc-wired iron heads, but I think it's lifting the heads...It has pushed coolant out of the radiator into the overflow tank twice on two different trips to the track..Once at Reynolds and once at a local Alabama track..Input?? Thx Scott

CAL

CAL,

You are making 914 rwhp with a blown gasket????
You are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by STP
Cal, for a 10.50 car on DR's would you run an out of the box set of Champions? Or have them ported?

Scott,
A lot of the answer depends on your suspension and what turbo you are running. If you can cut a 1.5 60ft on a drag radial, you should reach your goals unported. The worse the 60 ft the more the port work.
My car lost 4 tenths (9.34 from 8.92) with the drag radial and a decent suspension (1.58 60ft).

Thanks for the compliment John!

No doubt he's making serious power with those Champions. I've seen it run. As for my car Cal, it has a LT-45 on it now...Planning on something along the lines of a 45A...The car needs a 66mm comp with a Q trim and a tight converter. Working on the suspension now. Best the car has been is a 1.79 60ft on 275/50 Nittos and boxed lowers, 90-10's, and bags...But I have to pedal it at the 100ft mark...it just about shakes my fillings out : ) I have that fixed thanks to a boost controller. I'd be happy with consistent 1.6's out of it... Metco LCA's going on it now (Thx Lee)..The car is going to have to make the power on the big end I'm afraid..I think it will trap better with radials on it anyways. I don't want to port the heads unless I have too..Do you think I'd lose some bottom end power with CNC'd Champions vs. non ported Champions? Thx for the much needed advice... Scott

ted- you are the second guy that has told me that. give me a call and i will swing by with them.

248-640-7249

February--- around 8 weeks !!

TA will also be introducing their aluminum cylinder head in time to compliment the cylinder block. This head is designed to out perform any previous head produced in the aftermarket for the Buick Turbo 6.

Improvements in all areas have been made to increase flow, strength, durability and valve train alignment as well as overall fit and finish.

Painstaking detail has been applied to ensure that pushrods will clear on any rocker combination. The "stock" replacement version which will still maintain the stock rocker mounting design will accommodate rocker ratios from 1.55 to 1.65 with no pushrod to head inference. The "race" version which will utilize the pedestal type rocker design will accommodate 1.55 to 1.75 rocker ratios.

All threaded holes in the cylinder head are rolled, which, unlike a tap that cuts the thread, the rolled procedure actually forms the thread in the hole resulting in a considerably stronger thread, thus making the thread more capable of load carrying and more durable when items such as headers are removed and re-installed multiple times.

HTH

:) :)

gn1s

my gn1s flow 249@600 and 219@600 they were ported by todd mackenzie(next door to kenny D). i cant complain for $800 bucks. still putting engine together though we'll see what happens. jeremy

Real Information From Duttweiler

I was sick of hearing people guessing this and that so I called duttweiler's this morning and spoke to Nick. He went and asked
Kenny if he could tell me the flow numbers of the TA heads that the were working on a little while back. Kenny said that " the TA heads blow the Champions away!" A mild port job on the proto type set set gave #s in the 300 range. There was more left according to Nick. Lay the rumors to rest the TA Heads are going to be the best flowing head on the market for now.

Thank you drive through!

BTW Imagine these heads on Cal Hartline's beast.
Sorry teacher I can not come up to the black board right now! =)
How much more power would 50 plus CFM make on his 1200hp motor????

I guess the question you need to ask is. How fast due you want to go and how much mony are you willing to spend to get there. :eek: :eek:

I spent almost $5500 on a set of brand new Stage 2s from Chapman with 340cfm plus and titianium everything.
This was through Duttweiler's. The same head Kenny has made over 1500HP with. 6.89 @ 204 speaks pretty loud!

John, thanks for sharing the info with all of us!!! If Kenny Duttweiler says the TA heads are better than the Champion GN1's and has the CFM flow #'s to back it up I see it as a good reason to wait for the TA heads:) :cool:

TA Performance + Kenny Duttweiler = faster turbo buicks!!!!:D

Steve

You are welcome. I was happy to call and find out the facts.
It seems like we were all guessing when the answer was only
a phone call away.

BTW it looks like Kenny hired Nick back to help around the shop.
It should be easier to get a hold of them with the extra help.

Man- you guys got it all off your chest on this one! Now Im really confused - not really! I think I might go with the Ported GNI heads as Cal suggested- Then again, I might wait for the Heads from T/A-- I guess I am confused.. I did talk with Dave at T/A today.. He could not give me much info. They believe Feb deliveries, but have no prices on the heads or rocker set up as yet!??? Thats only two months away? Not even a close number? He said they are still waiting for pricing from the foundry - so they can figure that in.. ?I believe their schedule for the block & heads will continue to be pushed back some what, but ya gotta give Mike credit for what he is trying to accomplish.. Plus- he is at the mercy of outside vendors for his parts..
Flow #'s with T'A's heads? I talked with MIke T. in early Nov.. He told me 270-280 cfm. Valves can be 1.94 or 2.02 intake with 1.60 exhaust. Larry