Which F-body radiator??

Well, I got mine one and I have one complaint - my car looks like a monster truck! When I take it off the road, I guess I'll have to do a 3" drop now to compensate for the lighter front end :D

I finally got around to installing my dual Intrepid fan instead of the stock 87 fan. Much better, they move so much more air. On the highway at any speed it never got higher than 195. 95% of the time it stayed at 180. This was driving straight from Pensacola, FL to Kansas yesterday. This was with AC on high all day as well. I am happy with the combination of the two: Fbody rad and Intrepid fans.

dual intrepid fans?

Squid4life said:
I finally got around to installing my dual Intrepid fan instead of the stock 87 fan. Much better, they move so much more air. On the highway at any speed it never got higher than 195. 95% of the time it stayed at 180. This was driving straight from Pensacola, FL to Kansas yesterday. This was with AC on high all day as well. I am happy with the combination of the two: Fbody rad and Intrepid fans.

What year, make, and model did the fans come off of? Please give as much info as possible. Thanks, Scot w.

I'll have to check for sure on the date, but I am 90% positive it was from a 94 Intrepid. I looked at a salvage yard and noticed some of the V6 smaller Dodges (like Stratus) had the same fans. I cut about 12" of wire from a wrecked stratus, including the mini harness that plugs directly into the fan. I then just found which of the three wires on the car were ground and hot, then found what was ground, low and high on the fans and wired them on high. I have a switch in my ashtray to kick on the fans as the computer wouldn't turn them on until over 200 degrees.

Car didn't do much better with stock fan with f body rad, but a LOT better with the fbody rad and intrepid fans. Car stayed 180 in the crazy heat with the AC on across country. :biggrin:

I have used the F body rad for years in 4 of my cars ...stock fan, 95* out, with the ac on and sitting in traffic for 30-40 min. highest it got was 193* .. I just have a V4 intercooler .. I can't see how you could use a big front mount without spending a lot of $$$$ on the complete cooling system ... then I would want to see ya drive to the beach and sit in traffic so "I" can see how hot it gets :rolleyes: :p F body radiator's rule :D What about PTS's new radiator ??? prob be better for you front mount guy's :cool:

Grumpy said:
What about PTS's new radiator ??? prob be better for you front mount guy's :cool:

I'll be finding out soon! :biggrin: I had an F-body radiator and was in the process of installing it when I changed my mind and ordered the new PTS radiator. It arrived yesterday and looks awsome! I'll be installing it this weekend. I'm going to try it with the stock fan with the low speed resistor by-passed. I've got a PTE front-mount and I'm still running AC (converted to 134a).

FWIW, I was running a 4-core radiator with stock tanks and the stock fan with the low speed still operational. The new PTS radiator and modified stock fan *should* be a huge difference. :cool:

Squid4life said:
I installed mine with the stock 87 elec fan and I am not very happy with it at all... My car now runs hotter than it did with the stock 85 3 row. I used to max out at 196ish, today with the AC it climbed to 210. Not sure what to do now...

Same here!!?? Installed a new 2-row F-body radiator and if anything it's worse than the stocker 3 row.

Get caught at a light with a/c on, 160* thermostat, distilled water w/RM25 in the radiator, ambient around 90* and she'll peg 225* in a matter of one minute??

Could it be the difference between a 2 row and a 1 row?

HOW

That's what I have, I was just seeing if the got an all brass one or something - that would certainly account for the worse cooling :D

Well, finally got my temp gauge. It never gets over 195 w/o AC no matter what. With AC on the highway, it sits around 195. It never gets but a hair over 200 when idling for long periods of time in high 90 degree weather.