Which F-body radiator??

hrhoward

Go Team Venture!!!
I have heard and now seen that a F-body radiator will work in our TR 's. However I am having a bit of a hard time trying to find part numbers or exact years. Someone let me know please.
Thanks,
hrhoward

lookin at mine as I type.

The brand is Modine, I got it from Napa, when I ordered it my buddy looked up for a 89 IROC with the 5.7. Ttheres a part number on the plastic tank near the opening for the radiator cap ---5a53706d, on the core theres a tag---4440951, the box has Modineand 951 on it-thats everything.

Easy to identify on camaro or firebird. First thing is the radiator cap is on the same side as your TR. Then check thickness of core. There's two thicknesses. V-8s usually have the thicker core. About 1.25". Thinner one is about an inch.

I called about one. It is the aluminum one row, not the brass 3 row right...

Sounds wierd going from 3 row to 1 row... :eek:

Aluminum one row. That one row has more surface exposed to airflow/coolant than a copper 3 row.

So if we go to this rad, what do we do with the oil cooler lines?

just ordered one of these from a local discount radiator shop. $95.00 and it's a brand new Modine.

someone asked about going from a 3-row brass to a single-row aluminum. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the heat transfer coefficient of aluminum is much better than brass. another advantage of this setup would be the thinner core which will be easier for your fan to pull air through.

I'm going to try the f-body radiator out and see how it works. Currently, I've got the stock radiator, a PTE front-mount, 160 deg. t-stat, and stock fan (A/C condenser is also in place). This setup just has a hard time keeping up with Dallas heat, especially if I try running the A/C.

The F-body radiator *should* have better heat rejection than the stock unit(maybe not as good as a $600 aftermarket rad.) and it should compenstate (somewhat) for the thickness of the front-mount.

Of course I'm gonig to go ahead and replace the t-stat and hoses at the same time.

Rob

I installed mine with the stock 87 elec fan and I am not very happy with it at all... My car now runs hotter than it did with the stock 85 3 row. I used to max out at 196ish, today with the AC it climbed to 210. Not sure what to do now...

Squid4life said:
I installed mine with the stock 87 elec fan and I am not very happy with it at all... My car now runs hotter than it did with the stock 85 3 row. I used to max out at 196ish, today with the AC it climbed to 210. Not sure what to do now...

hmmm...well, that's a dissappointment. :mad: I just picked up one yesterday (for an '89 IROC/Z28). havn't installed it yet, but i've checked the dimensions and it's a perfect match with the stock unit as far as mounting is concerned. the tanks are smaller but it won't affect mounting or installation. I was pleased to see that, although it's only a single row, it's a very wide single row.

Are you sure you didn't get one for a v6 F-body? I have no idea if there is a difference, I'm just grabbing at straws here.

I plan to keep the stock fan also, but I'm going to throw in a new t-stat and I expect it to work very well. I won't be able to install it until this weekend at the earliest, but I'll post up results when I finally get it in.

we may both be headed for a high-dollar radiator. :(

at7we2 said:
heat transfer coefficient of aluminum is much better than brass.

Not that it really matters (trivia to most) but the heat transfer coefficient of aluminum is much WORSE than brass. Aluminum just allows for the construction of bigger tubes with thinner walls. Bigger tubes = more cooling area. However, with brass the tube walls have to get thicker as they get bigger. (prevent cracking and rupture) This makes is not practical to build large tube brass/copper radiators as there is then more material for the heat to move through(which impedes cooling), it would cost a ton, and they would weigh a ton. So, even though with all things being equal brass/copper way out performs aluminum in the cooling department, aluminum radiators can be built to outperform them. Ain't technology great! :cool:

BlackBandit said:
Not that it really matters (trivia to most) but the heat transfer coefficient of aluminum is much WORSE than brass. Aluminum just allows for the construction of bigger tubes with thinner walls. Bigger tubes = more cooling area. However, with brass the tube walls have to get thicker as they get bigger. (prevent cracking and rupture) This makes is not practical to build large tube brass/copper radiators as there is then more material for the heat to move through(which impedes cooling), it would cost a ton, and they would weigh a ton. So, even though with all things being equal brass/copper way out performs aluminum in the cooling department, aluminum radiators can be built to outperform them. Ain't technology great! :cool:

uhhhh....check your sources. The thermal conductivity (k-value) of aluminum is more than twice that of brass - meaning is transfers heat more than twice as fast as brass. The k-values vary depending on the specific composition/alloy of the particular samples, but in the context of this thread, an aluminum tube will transfer roughly twice as much heat as the same size tube made of brass. That's not technology, that's physics. :cool:

First, I DO NOT want to high jack this post. So if you want to debate the finer points of this we should start another post. Second I am a fan of aluminum radiators for reasons stated above although there is new technology on the horizon (here really just not mainstream) that could swing the performance radiator back to copper. Third for those of you that want a quick rebuttle hear it is.

I'd like to start by apologizing to you at7we2. When I said aluminum is worse than brass I went from memory and I was wrong. In my head I had brass charicteristics filed under copper. My bad. :eek: The statement that aluminum has a supperior heat transfer coefficiant to brass is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. When I read that statement I assumed you were talking about aluminum used in radiators and also the entire radiator (copper/brass) and not just the fins.

Now to clairify what I meant above

Radiators are not built with just brass. They are copper/brass. (tube/fin)While it is true that aluminum does have a better k value than brass, the k value differential you refered to seems to be between PURE aluminum and brass. Since Aluminum radiators are not made from pure aluminum that is a useless piece of trivia. Also, as you can see below, aluminum in any form is substantialy inferior to copper and in an alloy (such as a radiator) not all that much better than brass. So, we get back to my original statement. All things being equal copper/brass radiators will out cool aluminum. Technology makes the differance. There are other things to consider as well like solder joints and tube fin heat transfer but we won't get in to that as allot of people are probably bored out of their gord by now. At the bottom is a link that does a good job of outlining some of the reasons oems have gone to aluminum in laymans terms.

Material---------------- conductivity------ density
----------------------------- W/m*K------g/cm(3)

Aluminum -------------------- 247----------2.71
Aluminum (6061)-------------- 171----------2.6-2.9
Aluminum (6063)-------------- 193----------2.6-2.9
Aluminum (7075-T6)----------- 130----------2.6-2.9

Brass (70Cu-30Zn)------------ 115----------n/a
Copper----------------------- 398----------8.94

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rad2.htm

agreed on all points above! :cool:

there definately is many other aspects that could be discussed pertaining to coil (and radiator) design, but it was my intent to keep my post within the "context" of this thread. wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread, just defending my statement. I was tempted to go into more detail, including mentioning copper and the pros and cons of each material, but I opted not to. my apologies to the thread starter - going back under my rock now. :p

Rob

I just got done putting my buddies '87 350 iroc radiator in my car. I had a brand new '85 GN replacement radiator in there. I have a front mount intercooler, ac condensor, tranny cooler, with ramcharger fans, and the black air dam hanging under the radiator. The GN radiator sucked....on the highway at 55 or 70 mph I would eventually have to put the electric fans on two or three times on just a 45 minute drive. With the AC off. The iroc radiator is a great improvement over the stock GN radiator. I haven't ran my fans on the highway at all...........that friggin' awesome!!! -Nick.

This has been a great discussion on the values of the alum. radiators. Unfortunatly, it will probably be one of the last pieces to go on the car. I am putting one together starting with the gas tank and moving forward. Now it is to damn hot and humid to get any work done. :mad: