Which Dual Fans To Buy?

6-Banger

I recently installed a fmic and of course now my car is running hot(about 210 on the highway with the stock fan on high, AC on and 90F weather.) While in city traffic on the same day it crept to 220F. I noticed that my radiator cap is bad so I'm going to replace it. I'm also going to run about a 25/75 mix of antifreeze/water with water wetter instead of just a regular 50/50 mix with no wetter. I realize I will need a more powerful fan setup. Which is the best to buy? Do any plug directly in to our harness with no splicing? I'm hoping this will help some without having to go through the expense of an aluminum radiator.

Are the "Spals" the ones sold by Ramchargers?...If no, where to get them? Also, do they come with a direct plug-in harness so there is no wire to splice?...

Claude :)

Spals are not what RC used to sell... GBodyparts(BWeavy) sells the old RC style dual fans :)

RC fan motors will not hold up in a DD, the motors will start pulling too much current and also start squealing and sieze up. On my second set and even with the hotwire harness they still do it.

Spal or LT1 fbody fans are better, more expensive, but better quality

I had the Ramchargers/Chrysler dual fans with the correct wiring - lasted less than 5,000 miles.

I replaced the radiator and even with a frontmount and AC on, I don't get over 180 degrees.

A fan can be a band-aid for a poorly performing radiator.

RC fan motors will not hold up in a DD, the motors will start pulling too much current and also start squealing and sieze up. On my second set and even with the hotwire harness they still do it.

Same here.

Aside from that, I'd say that 210 while cruising is an issue that will not likely be solved by a new fan.

I must have gotten lucky. :rolleyes:

My RC fan assembly has lasted well over 5 years now! All I had to do immediately after installing them was replace the car side connector. It started overheating but that was due to corrosion in the connector. Since then, all's well.

I went with aluminum f-body radiator from NAPA for $100, then got dual electric fans with caspers relays from gbody parts for $165.

Car runs at 162-170 no matter how hot it gets outside.

If I beat on the car a little it will warm up into the upper 170s for awhile, and cool down with a very short cruise.

what is the part # for the radiator? Also what kind of modifications are needed? trans and oil cooling?

my RC fans have been in for about 5 years and they are still running perfect..

I had the Ramchargers/Chrysler dual fans with the correct wiring - lasted less than 5,000 miles.

I replaced the radiator and even with a frontmount and AC on, I don't get over 180 degrees.

A fan can be a band-aid for a poorly performing radiator.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/229127-napa-radiator.html

This thread has the part number for the 1 core aluminum radiator I am using...
from both NAPA and Autozone. I chose NAPA because I trust their stuff more than Autozone, and the price is pretty much exactly the same anyway.

Make sure you get the 1 core aluminum... the core is HUGE, instead of multi core radiators with really tiny cores... its helps cool ALOT better.

Do that and dual fans and you wont be dissatisfied.