Which are good 2004r's

newguy

I am going to look for a 200-4r to tear appart and if I get brave enough, rebuild it. So my question is, what tranny codes should I look for, and which ones should I avoid. Most of the yards I go to already pull the trannys so I will not know what they come out of. thanks as always :)

Code Model
BRF 86-87 Grand National Servo casting # = 94 Lipseal servo w/
strongest spring
TAF* 89 Anniversary T/A Servo casting # = 94 Lipseal servo w/
strongest spring
CZF/CRF 86-87 Monte Carlo SS Servo casting # = 92 Lipseal servo w/ 2nd
strongest spg
OZF/KZF 85-7 442 , 83-4 Hurst Olds Servo casting # = 92 Lipseal servo w/
2nd strongest spg

Only buy transmissions produced after 1/84

The most common "good" ones are the ones in Monte Carlo SSs.

http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

Confessions of a junkyard junkie.

The three-letter code (BRF, CZF, etc) is on a small tag attached to the back of the trannie.

If the tag is missing look at the last two digits cast on the servo cover. If the last two digits are 94 buy it if it is 92 then pull the oil pan and look for a painted two letter code on the side of the valve body that matches the first two digits of the "good" tranny codes HOTOGO posted to determine if it is a keeper. As far as I know only the "good ones" have 92 servos but not 100 percent sure.

If you have more time than money and a high tolerance for pain, rebuild it yourself. If you have the money, talk to Bruce or one of the several builders that use his parts around the country.

thanks, again

Again, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have alot more time on my hands rather than money, but if I decide to rebuild I will go with bruce's parts, when possible. I will go junkyard crawling and since I have plenty of time (no rush, just want to learn ALOT more about trannys) and would like to attempt a rebuild, I will hold out till I find a "good" tranny to do the build on. Unfortunaly, Monte Carlos are hard to find in the yards here, even harder for ss's so that is problay out of the question. Again thank you for the replys, it is appreciated very much. :D

One more quick question

Whould I be wasting my time on rebuilding a non tr, mcss, h/o-442 tranny for performance use? Is there any more difference besides the vb, and servo? I can get a core for $35 and if it is 85 or newer would it be good. Also there is a mcss 200-4r tranny that supposedly works good. He wants $195. Does that sound like a good price? thanks again.

The vb is the main thing that makes the differance, (if you go with one of the non-performance you will never be happy and if you try using it for performance you'll end up burning it up) the ones listed are by design performance oriented, servo, t/c and everthing else can be upgraded. To get a performance vb by itself will cost you over $300 so if you can get the mcss tranny for that price and it has the original vb, it would be worth it.

cool, thanks

I just wanted to make sure. I unfortunatly cant really scrummage for cores at junk yards around here, they are getting more and more picky here. Will put out an add for a usable core in the local trading times to find one if the mcss one sold. thanks again :)

Out of curiousity, where do the 84-85 TR's fit in this list? What code, servo, and how desirable are they compared to the others? Thanks.

What is a good core price the the mcss tranny?

I talked to the guy selling the transmission for $195 and it was sold. He parts out MCss's and 442's and said he would take them out on the highway, nail it and take it to 65mph and if he didn't feel it slip, he sold it as a good running tranny. He was trying to tell me the tr tranny and mcss tranny has different stall converters and has stronger parts in it, and that the monte carlo and 442 trannys are also different from each other in performance wise. Well to get to my question, since all this stuff the guy said seemed off, and says it is right since his brother rebuilds trannys, I am worried about purchasing a core from him for 125.00, that would be a tranny that he does feel slipping when he does his "test". Is that a good price?

Re: What is a good core price the the mcss tranny?

Originally posted by newguy
.... He was trying to tell me the tr tranny and mcss tranny has different stall converters and has stronger parts in it, and that the monte carlo and 442 trannys are also different from each other in performance wise...., since all this stuff the guy said seemed off, and says it is right since his brother rebuilds trannys, I am worried about purchasing a core from him for 125.00, that would be a tranny that he does feel slipping when he does his "test". Is that a good price?

He is half right, mcss and tr's have the same t/c but stall differ, as I said earlier t/c and servo's can be upgraded. And all 2004r's are the same except for the vb, t/c and servo's and among the perf. ones the vb's do differ from each other also but they are still much prefered over a run of the mill, they are listed in one of the above posts in order of the most desireable first on down. As for the cost of a good core, if you can get it for under $200 I'd say buy it, if it's slipping it prolly won't matter anyway if it is a true perf. one as you would rebuild it anyway thus (hopefully if done right) you will be eliminating the slipping prob.