Where has the intelligent discussion gone?

And I do believe that the majority of people with enough disposable income to be trying things and experimenting past the known universe of tech are moving on to other things. And everything else has been done and can be found with a search.

I see where Ken (turbo fabricator) was on the other night.
Reminded me of how much knowledge that doesn't post anymore. Mostly because some idiots want to argue not knowing what they're talking about or who they are talking to.

I see/feel this pressure as well. Being new to TRs and new to the community, I login to understand.

I try learn something every day. I have a lot to learn and it will take time even if this learning has to do with other members. Learning who to contact for what, makes for a better learning experience.

All I can say is that I've been a member of forums like RegalGS, ClubGP, ExplorerForum, and FastGM collectively for over 16 years. These sites have changed through time as well. They all have their assh*les and know it alls as well so it's not just here.

I believe it comes in phases. When i was a W-Body owner constanly on RegalGS, the cars were less than 10 years old and tech was plentiful, the sky was the limit. Now those cars are cheap and the clientele has changed along with quality of discussion. There are always the knowledgeable stalwarts but they seemed to become quiet as some of the knowledgeable members mentioned here.

As for ExplorerForum, I had a 98 lightly modded and slightly lifted. Talking with the 1st and 2nd Generation Explorer gurus was enlightening.
Fast forward to today I have a 07 XLT and the only thing that's discussed in the '06-'10 forums is how do I change a dash bulb or wheel bearing makes noise. Very dry hardly any imagination.

Bison,

I believe it has everything to do with the audience. When you have guys that literally wrote the book on GNs, so to speak, available on the forums trying to deal with others that think they are a gift to the automotive world but don't know shit other than back yard mechanics or the grammar police wise a**es makes for a hostile environment.

Lastly, I hope I'm not to late to the party and I am here to learn and hope the TR guys to truly learn from, are not all gone.

Plenty of bs discussion available here but very little intelligent discussion going on.
the posts on the board have changed a lot.i notice lots of the same questions over and over again.we all may skin the cat differently to get results but respecting each others journey seems to be lost here.there is also r/d info that really cant be talked about on an open forum, just the nature of things.

Snow&GNnew trubo 010.JPG YardGMC442GN 014.JPG How bout this? I took last year off, did something a little different. You should hear all the grief I got for this. This thing is a hoot to drive. 10 second slip coming soon!!YardGMC442GN 014.JPG
YardGMC442GN 014.JPG

Sometimes its fear. From a vendors perspective it can open up a can of worms on some subjects. Otherwise you don't want to discuss something(invention) and let that cat out of the bag. And you have the talented folks don't have a lot of time to go back and forth.

Yes I too miss threads on transmissions and fabricating.. don't know what the answer is..

There is a certain type of car guy out there. They move to the latest and greatest. Up until the early 2000's, Buicks still could easily handle most cars in a straight line. When the 01 Z06 came out, the corvette forums were crazy with innovation and what guys could do to go faster. I remember being at the track in my Buick and Z06 in Dallas in 2001-2003, a Lingenfelter vette would only run high 11's at 122, and then a guy in a otherwise stock 01 Z06 threw on a 150 wet shot, some 16 inch wheels and slicks and went 10.80's. Back then that was a fast car for most poeple. Then they'd argue about if Zaino was the best polish/wax to use...

When the C6 Z06 and Zr1 came out, the C5 forums pretty much died off. Now, the C7 Z06, and those same guys that had the fast 01 Z06, now they are posting with their new C7 Z06... I suspect, if that guy had an 87 Buick, they stuck in in a corner and raced their Vette/Viper/Ford GT/PorcheTT/AudiR8/SLS/NissanGTR... Post over in C5 Z06 section on corvetteforum and it is all advertisements for floormats and LED kits or its some newbie that bought a 15 owner abused C5 Z06 and is asking if 315's will fit out back...

Web forums also are not the only media to communicate, a lot of circles of car guys post on facebook or text on their phones the latest and greatest thing they are working on in...

The biggest problem is people are sourcing their discussions to Facebook. People really like the instant response from the people on there. None of the discussion is getting recorded and grant it some of the post are straight up nonsense. It's easier to log on to FB on our phones. The true info is on the forums it needs to be easier to log on.
One of the biggest trends I've seen is people post up their cars on FB get conversation and less and less people what to actually participate in events and local car meets.
So take your poison does everybody want the convenience FB or the knowledge of the forum. People got to be wondering why their cars are running like S#*T when they are trying to fix them on FB!!

The community , any community, suffers when the economy is down.
These cars are old. The numbers that get raced, taken to a show, or just out for a drive is shrinking. The demographic is aging. The young guys aren't into cars. Video games, online gaming, just keep their interest.
My son likes cars n stuff but he is eighteen and doesn't even have a driver's license. Many of his friends don't either. Just not a priority for him .

I think a lot of posts/topics have moved to social media. Some of the Buick groups have several thousand members and it's probably a lot easier to go on facebook if you have a quick question then to start a topic or search for an answer here on turbobuick. I remember being able to spend hours here daily just reading new threads and discussions but now it's nowhere near as busy.

I agree that a lot of people have taken to the car groups on Facebook. Hell I'm a member of three buick groups but unless it's a for sale post it's worthless and the data is lost.
I will say that this site itself is slow and painfull unless I'm on my phone using tapatalk. Then it's pure genius!
I don't have much intelligent to add but I do document most of my questions on the board and try to help when I feel like I actually know the answer.

This board is doing much better than the G8 boards are doing. They are really sad now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sometimes the tech turns into BS arguments. I think some people avoid it because of that.

What he said. Too many keyboard experts giving bad advice. Sometimes I know better than the advice that is being given and want to chime in, but the person giving the bad advice is a respected member here and I don't want to upset the hierarchy. Don't get me started on the TR's I've fixed out of the goodness of my heart because someone got hack jobs done by so called experts.

I haven't been on the board as much since the turbo Buick app stopped working. I don't get on the computer so I do everything on my phone. I use the tapatalk app and I pretty much hate it!

The intelligence gap is huge on this board anymore. There are a few really good so called "Keyboard tech's" the rest are just throwing :poop: at the wall to see what sticks. Thats said, we get tired of posting.

Rick

...... Plenty of bs discussion available here but very little intelligent discussion going on. Post up if you have a solution or any clue as to why.....

Interesting question Brian, and I have been thinking about a reply which would be of value, as I have similar feelings as you about this subject.

Actually you only need one "intelligent", or experienced, person to have an intelligent discussion. :)

We have various issues on tech answers, not with questions.

The BS you refer to is certainly one of them as the "assclowns" want to make their presence known with some inane comment which does not pertain at all to the question.

Another issue is a question asked about performance parts or upgrades needs to be qualified by other factors such the level desired and many time budget is a factor as well. An example is "oh, XYZ camshaft works great in my car", and they only have experience with one cam?

We also know many posters are not very experienced or knowledgeable about basic internal engine functions, but are more familiar with electronic components and dis-regard mechanical aspects when building a car or trouble shooting an issue?

It would also be more informative if the reply or answer is labeled as an opinion, or based upon a actual experience, not what their "source" told them.

Many of the parts and methods we used 20+ years ago are still valid today. The cars are getting old and worn out, and we continue to see new and different issues arise that never happened in the past, but going back to basics we can solve these issues.

Yes, many of the pioneers in the turbo Buick world have gone on to other facets of their life, and only a few of the younger generation have picked up the banner with their experience.

It is not a perfect world and it is changing very fast! Many of us "old timers" do NOT have a computer in our pocket, and do not know or care how to use them, but we do know how to communicate in a personal, REAL conversation to solve a problem!

The intelligence gap is huge on this board anymore. There are a few really good so called "Keyboard tech's" the rest are just throwing :poop: at the wall to see what sticks. Thats said, we get tired of posting.

Rick
Rick it's ether you Dave,Brian,Tater Salad,Eric and others answering the same questions over and over only to have someone with not just a devils advocate approach, (cause that's not always bad.) just flat want to argue or be condescending, Hell we ran Buddy Ingersoll off the board in 2 weeks, I went and seen him after that deal and he wasn't going to put up with that shit, he didn't have to, now he's dead. And hardly anyone new will take the time to use the resources available. Mainly history here,gnttype.org and Vortex buicks. I use this place and T6P just for the amusement and friends i have made. (yes I have 1):D. Other then that if I need tech I search or PM for advise. So many thread cancers in here. Just kick them the f off. I'm not talking new guys that need/want help at any level. And if the conversion gets over someones head just ask, most of our elite will explain. I've probably spentat least a month just reading old threads from Ken,hell both kens, both Bruces Nicks, ect... theres so much out there.Now I'm just rattling.

Ronnie

Last edited:
Most of the fb pages are a joke. Then you get those same new people coming here thinking they know it all and get pissed when we tell them how it is. Most of them are just asses if they don't agree with something. Yeah, the tech is moving slow. Some like myself are pretty much done restoring our cars and just want to drive them and have fun instead of wrenching on them. I've tried firing up discussion in the suspension section but it fizzles after a few days.

Like said before there's a new wave of people coming through on the board. Young owners that come from the import or ls camp and don't want to take advice and the other barret Jackson types that think they're gonna sell these cars for double what they're worth.