Wheel backspace question.

Hello,

Looking to try and run a 275x60x15 tire on an 8 inch wheel with 4.5 backspace on my 87 T-Type. Don't want to notch the frame or mess with the fender wells. Will I have to run a spacer to get them to clear? I have been told yes and no. Anybody know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Would have to say yes on the spacer. Running a 15x8 with 4" backspace with same size tire and pretty tight to the frame rails. BUT, I have a Currie Ford 9" rear in my GN that was installed when the car was new that was supposed to be an exact replacement width wise but did not get the stock rear when I bought the car in 1995. I am sure others will chime in.

I have 275/60-15s on my stock GN wheels and I have 1/2" of clearance to the frame rail on each side. GN wheels have 4" backspacing. You're going to rub.

275 60 on 8's with 4.5 will fit with aluminum drums, will rub with steel drums unless you have a thin spacer...this is all assuming your rear end/body/frame is reasonably straight...Several cars around here have been through this including mine before we notched the frame.

4" B/S here on an 15x8 with aluminum drums !!! It's tight to the frame had to get adjustable uppers to center the rear! 275/60/15 DR

Attachments

• stuff 248.jpg
    stuff 248.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 123
Ive got 4.5 bs with 50 series and alumi drums. There still space but i didnt run it like that. Threw on some 1/8 weld wheel washers and absolutely no rubbing.

If there was space why wouldn't you try it?? Just curious should be fine...maybe a couple hammer hits to the tub if a spot or 2 is to tight but in my book that's better than a spacer...and better than rolling the lip.

15x8, 4.5" BS, 275/60/15, Alum drums, body centered. At least a 1/4 to 1/2" spacing to the frame (look at the bottom of the pic for the correct look, camera flashed shadowed the top).
Tire 1.jpg

Tire 2.jpg

Ive got 4.5 bs with 50 series and alumi drums. There still space but i didnt run it like that. Threw on some 1/8 weld wheel washers and absolutely no rubbing.
Very nice ride and perfect wheels. Very nice...