Whats the torque?

turbo todd

Yeah its a BUICK!!
I'm in the process of several mods. And I used the breaker-bar/starter method to get the balancer bolt lose. What is the torque lbs. and method of holding the engine from turning? Thanks in advance, Todd.

If you mean you want to torque it back on.... use locktite and an impact gun set it on the strongest torque setting. The specs for that bolt are high 219ft/lbs.

I normally place a HD screwdriver/bar in the back of the engine thru the flexplate to keep the engine from rotating. The bar/screwdriver will snug up against the block or other immovable surface and you can either remove or install the harmonic balancer bolt.

Torque spec chart:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/torque.html

-GNX7

thanks

I was looking at putting something in the flex plate, but wasnt sure if I would do some damage. 219lbs. is a lot!!
Well I'm on my way to get some locktite.

You say the strongest torque setting on the impact gun. Wouldn't that be overtightening on some guns mine goes to 485 lb ft.I probibly don't see quite that much but even if it's 100 lb ft less then it would be 385.

Wouldn't it be too much torque??

Thats' why I like my cheapo electric 1/2" impact gun...it's rated at 240 ft lbs so I put blue loctite on the bolt...hit the gun for about 8-10 seconds...stop...then hit it again for another 8-10 seconds and haven't had one come loose doing it that way...

Ohh.So they do have a use.And I just thought they were good for throwing across the shop when the wouldn't loosen bolts. :D