What's the difference

chrisg01

85-gnturbo
What's the difference between a turbo 3.8 1985 block and a carbureted 3.8 1985 block will a carbureted engine block work with the turbo components

I think they put the roller fillet crank in the turbo block. Not 100% sure. I can tell you that some of the 87 carb engines had the turbo crank and rods, so I assume the same for 85.

What's the difference between a turbo 3.8 1985 block and a carbureted 3.8 1985 block will a carbureted engine block work with the turbo components
it seems that there are two 85 blocks from what i can gather early ones had a 14 bolt pan and later ones had a 20 bolt pan later 85's had powermaster brakes and from what i can gather they were the cars that got the 20 bolt blocks put please note they were not 109 blocks i cannot remember exactly but i think the block number was ---140

My reason for wanting to know is my turbo motor is bad and I have a buddy that has an85 carbureted motor and I thought if it would work I'd put all the turbo stuff on it and use it

My reason for wanting to know is my turbo motor is bad and I have a buddy that has an85 carbureted motor and I thought if it would work I'd put all the turbo stuff on it and use it
with a little extra work it will work

Just keep in mind the cam and Pistons will be different. If by chance one is a 14 bolt and one is a 20 bolt pan, only the pan and front cover along with above mentioned is different.

Simple answer is "yes"!

The difference between a 1985 carb and turbo 3.8 engine is pistons, crank and cam, and actually you could use the crank from a carb engine.

Pistons and cam will function, but may not last long or provide good performance in a turbo application?

Also, be aware the oil pan has a baffle in the turbo application, and the carb does not.

Thanks for all the help guys my block is good tho what happened is the car got hot and shut off on me because my temp guage wasn't workin car started rattling real bad and so changed the oil and it has metal shavings in oil

Summit racing has rebuild kit with forged pistons and rods and complete bearing and gasket set for 529 bucks

Summit racing has rebuild kit with forged pistons and rods and complete bearing and gasket set for 529 bucks
sounds kinda cheap to me .......Summit is a good source for some things but you might want to check with some of the specialized turbo buick vendors that frequent this board-------if you are planning this "switch" you might need the help of someone with experience with these cars or you might not be very pleased with what you end up with

sounds kinda cheap to me .......Summit is a good source for some things but you might want to check with some of the specialized turbo buick vendors that frequent this board-------if you are planning this "switch" you might need the help of someone with experience with these cars or you might not be very pleased with what you end up with
For sure

It's a kit by sealed power a division of federal mogul but o thought of going with some of Evers proficts

It's a kit by sealed power a division of federal mogul but o thought of going with some of Evers proficts
never seen forged pistons and or rods that cheap and i have seen and used lots of sealed power parts over the years thats cheap even for cast parts

These days with Chinese parts being made for everything, it may be forged. Mr. Sum Ting Wong works for $.38 /hr pumping out pistons for CHEAP!! Cast factory pistons are nice pieces. They are very heavy, but we shift at 5,500 rpm with most cars, so they are just fine. If you spin it past 6K then a forged piston is needed.
Carbed cast pistons do not have a metal top ring land cast into them, and will NOT last long with a turbo. The carbed 3.8 rods are the same, except for rod bolts. The turbo engines had SPS rod bolts, which are much stronger. The block is fine, no matter which version you use. No gain using a 109 block over any other 3.8/4.1 block.