what's next for my mostly stock GN

aufond

Ok. got my 1987 GN 2 weeks ago. 17000miles

has LS1 MAF, Cold air intake. Catless exhaust system.
stock turbo, stock injectors.
Fuel pressure regulator (looks like theGN1)
vaccum brakes.
has AlcoholInjection System not hooked up. (dosnt look to be progressive, another thread on this in the alky section)
the chip that is presently in the car is a TT5.6 3286 28# Street 93. 20/18 timing 15-17 PSI.

what should this combo run with street tires at the moment?

goal for the car is a purely street driven cruiser. might hit the track once or twice a year for fun.
would love to run 93+alky full time.
would like to keep stock turbo.
have a scanmaster on order, but car is running really nice.

I wouldn't drive it until you have the scanmaster hooked up.
Do you have a fuel pump hotwire kit?
Fuel pressure guage?
Boost guage?(not the stock one)
I'm sure I'm missing items and others will chime in but these couple should help you.

Sent while curing depression with boost.

yes i Have a Boost guage,
is an underhood fuel pressure gauge to measure idle pressure sufficient? I do not want one on my hood.

How can I find out if i do have a Hotwire kit? I know what it does.

How can I find out if i do have a Hotwire kit? I know what it does.[/quote said:
Look for a 10ga wire going from the back of your alternator to a relay near the gas tank.

As far as whats next...Don't beat on it until you have a Scanmaster and can verify your numbers are good.

Step up to a 255 fuel pump & 42.5 or 60lb injectors with matching tt chip & it should really wake up, aftr u install scanmaster & fp gauge & verify readings are all good of course..

Oh yeah! Don't forget about the timing chain and valve springs if they already haven't been taken care of.

If you want to run alky get an alky control kit from Julio....Keep in mind injectors will be needed and how big you go will depend on how fast you want to go!! Seeing your not a purist and willing to start modding a GN with such low miles tells me you better get the 60 pound high Z injectors and chip to match as this will cover you for future mods you continue to make!! Would not start using that current alky kit sounds old and the pump is probably suspect...Like others stated don't drive it like you stole it till you get the scanmaster hooked up and can check everything....Good Luck lots of knowledgeable people here who can get you where you want to go!!

Ok. got my 1987 GN 2 weeks ago. 17000miles

has LS1 MAF, Cold air intake. Catless exhaust system.
stock turbo, stock injectors.
Fuel pressure regulator (looks like theGN1)
vaccum brakes.
has AlcoholInjection System not hooked up. (dosnt look to be progressive, another thread on this in the alky section)
the chip that is presently in the car is a TT5.6 3286 28# Street 93. 20/18 timing 15-17 PSI.

what should this combo run with street tires at the moment?

goal for the car is a purely street driven cruiser. might hit the track once or twice a year for fun.
would love to run 93+alky full time.
would like to keep stock turbo.
have a scanmaster on order, but car is running really nice.

Take the alky kit you have, light it on fire and throw it out into a firepit. You wont be needing it.

Timing chain, springs and good cleaned up heads (recommend porting and diamond cut) is where I started (mild cam if budget permits) ALSO call up RJC and get ahold of one of his boost controllers and their rocker shaft braces. They're cheap reliable as well as great upgrades.
If you are not planning to change the turbo/not going too much bigger, 42.5s or 50s for your injectors will do just fine
Ive had good luck with the following chips and HIGHLY suggest them: Joe Lubrant, Red Armstrong, Full Throttle Extender chips (my personal fav), Jay Carter, and Caspers Ultrachip.
A scanmaster will come in handy, but Im not a fan. Sold mine a few years ago - but hey, better than floundering around in the dark I suppose. For a good scan tool, keep an eye out for a Direct Scan or a TurboLink - they're cheap and work great for stock ECM cars.
Fuel pressure gauge is a must, followed by a pump upgrade with a hotwire kit. I use the Deachwerks 300LPH pump with hotwire kit and it works fine.
At this point, a full tune up with 8.5 MSD wires with the above would do wonders for street duty. Buuuut, if you want more and still got coins burning holes in your pockets....

If you're going to keep the stock turbo, Id suggest at the least a Ported inlet bell to help it flow a little better (and a nice 3in downpipe to help the turbo flow a lotta better)
If you know someone whos good at welding, a duttweiler neck for you stock intercooler from kirbans will liven your car up A LOT. I went from 13.3MPH ETS to 13.0s changing just that bend (plus 2-3mph as well)
A Spohn rear sway bar with some nice mickey thompson ET streets and stop light to stop light the car wont stop suprising you :)

thanks guys. seems i'm not far off from where I want to be. Already have plug wires and boost controller (not a fan of the type of B-C so will change it out eventually)

Here's what I will start with.
-Scantool (on order)
-Fuel pressure gauge (on order)
-Fuel Pump (on order)
-Hotwire kit. (on order)
-timing chain & springs
Injectors and chip. (probably go 60lbs with TT chip)

I will then contact Julio from Alky to see what we can do with my current tank setup, and change to his pump, controller over the winter while keeping my current tank.

thanks guys. seems i'm not far off from where I want to be. Already have plug wires and boost controller (not a fan of the type of B-C so will change it out eventually)

Here's what I will start with.
-Scantool (on order)
-Fuel pressure gauge (on order)
-Fuel Pump (on order)
-Hotwire kit. (on order)
-timing chain & springs
Injectors and chip. (probably go 60lbs with TT chip)

I will then contact Julio from Alky to see what we can do with my current tank setup, and change to his pump, controller over the winter while keeping my current tank.
Your shopping list looks good. You might want to add an adjustable regulator if you don't have one, as TT chips generally like 43#, hose off. The other thing is if your ordering new injectors w/chip, you might as well go with 80#'s. They are the same price, and will give you more room to grow. Cheers!

Fuel pressure reg was already installed.

Is there a trade off to going 80s, they seem Big. wouldn't it cause ilding issues?

You could have 120s on there, it really doesn't matter because you control how much fuel via the chip, reg.

Keep it reliable and enjoy. Make sure all hoses are in good shape, scanmaster as mentioned. Read up on the "Spring Cleaning" thread if you haven't done so.
Make sure your cooling system is in order if it's all original. Enjoy the summer. You're going to get a ton of people asking you about the car. Congrats on the low mileage find!

Peter

well got the scanmaster. everything looks to be in order. minimal (0.8 knock) on top of third gear.

have a 255LPH walbro on hand and hotwire kit which are waiting install.

That knock count is what some consider 'normal' for a stock unmodified GN on the top of 3rd gear. With the fuel pump/hotwire kit and adjustable fuel pressure regulator (you'll need a new 02 sensor and good plugs for an accurate tune) you'll be able to get that knock completely eliminated. :)