Whats a good single Turbo that will service a 350?

Floydsbuick

I'm still wanting to experiment with blow-through Turbo charging. As a novice, I really don't wanna do twins. I see powerstroke Turbo's all over E-bay, but the A/R numbers seem to high for a stock bore Buick 350. So...As a novice looking for an affordable Turbo, what fits the bill? I'm thinking an A/R # 'round 0.80. Opinions???

Twin GN turbo's would work or for a quicker spool you could look at the smaller turbo's from the Mustang SVO's and Turbo Coupe T birds.

I'm really hesitant to mess with twins being a noob. But I'm kinda curious now that you mention it. Whats a stock GN Turbo's A/R? Are stock GN Turbos cheapies since folks upgrade? On a budget so I can't get silly.

I'm really hesitant to mess with twins being a noob. But I'm kinda curious now that you mention it. Whats a stock GN Turbo's A/R? Are stock GN Turbos cheapies since folks upgrade? On a budget so I can't get silly.

Have you ever searched the DIY forum on turbomustangs.com? They got the best junkyard turbo section I've seen with info on all types of diesel turbo's as well.

MasterPower MP70.....very cheap and seems like alot of guys on turbomustangs like it

The master power T70 would be a good choice. As someone else said, alot of the folks on TM.com have had great results with it. Good bang for the buck....

if you know buick v8 cfm numbers the do like more cfm then the
"formulas" show plus i think someone on the board is running
a international turbo(fords powerstroke)
you will need to make up a wastegate to contol boost pressure

A local guy just dyno'd his 350 Chevy with a GTQ 70 and only made around 500hp to the wheels. If this is all you want a 70 will be fine. He had a .82 a/r but you'll want to go to the biggest you can get to keep backpressure down. He's swapping his out soon.

A local guy just dyno'd his 350 Chevy with a GTQ 70 and only made around 500hp to the wheels. If this is all you want a 70 will be fine. He had a .82 a/r but you'll want to go to the biggest you can get to keep backpressure down. He's swapping his out soon.
Whats your take on the low dyno numbers,,jst cant blow enough air or what ,seems like a big enough turbo to push 600hp ,seems like a v6 can put down 600 with a 70turbo....
:cool:

Too much backpressure. The V8 is choked by the small exhaust. Both the turbine housing housing and wheel are too small for a V8. His backpressure reached a point where it was overcoming the wastegate and blowing it open. Not only does this keep you from building more boost and rpm but the high backpressure can cause headgasket problems.

To make 600 or more you need at least a S trim turbine and a 4 bolt housing.

So I guess I can rule out any possibility of using my PT6776e 3-bolt/.63 turbo on a 355 small block huh ? ;)

S475 Extended Tip turbo supprts up to 1000 HP, sells for around $600
Does that come in the T4 flange,I think thats what I need ...and do you have pics of that turbo you mentioned...I am only looking for 700hp-800hp(SBC 383) ,so maybe there is a bettrer turbo suited for my goals,any input??

T-6 is the standard on this turbo but we can machine it down to a T-4 inlet. This turbo can support 1000 hp but thats a high boost, 30+ psi. 16-23 psi it will support 7-900.

Attachments

• s475.jpg
    s475.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3,652
  • s4751.jpg
    s4751.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,488
T-6 is the standard on this turbo but we can machine it down to a T-4 inlet. This turbo can support 1000 hp but thats a high boost, 30+ psi. 16-23 psi it will support 7-900.
Excellent ,come spring time/well maybe summer,I will be looking you up for sure,I will need that in a t4 flange,thanks Dennis