What type of brakes? Stock or manual??

chub406

Hey guys. Getting started on my turbo ls build. I have an 85 gn. The car has the stock brakes now but the guy I got it from was going to put it to a manual brake car. I have the plate and parts to do the swap but not sure which way to go. Ive had some people say the manual breaks will be a pain to do and not as good as vacuum breaks. What do you guys think? This will be my first turbo car. Don't know which is the best route.

Is it hydroboost or powerbastard? If it's hydroboost I'm wondering why the hell you'd even think about changing it.

I dont know what I have. It was a N/A 85 regal. It came with all the parts to do the swap. I always focusd on making them fast. Now that I'm older. I want the thing to stop too. lol

Go to the stickys in the suspension section and there's 1 that should help you with suspension mods as well as brake info. As far as the master cylinder, I'd go vacuum or hydroboost and forget the manual set up. It may stop the vehicle but since it's not a race car you don't need to be that light.;)

Iwill go look at that. Any idea what I have? lol i dont care about weight. It will be driven on the street. Plus going to track quite a bit.

Sounds like it's a vacuum set up stock. What you might do is get with the guys in your area for some help. I believe you're near the turbo farm west guys. If that's the case bring beer if you go to meet them.;) They're almost as bad as canuks.:rolleyes:

lol. After my best friend got a meth addiction. My last car got stollen. I kinda dipped out of all the car stuff for a bit. Not to many people I know are still into building cars. I read through that sticky. Dint see to much besides the s10 and camaro brake swaps. whats better? the vacuum or powermaster? would being vacuum, have any trouble with a turbow car? arent you pulling all the vacuum out at boost?

Lots of guys have converted to vacuum and my car came with hydroboost. If you look in the general setion you'll see the "how to's" at the top, and there's a good write up on the hydroboost set up, and if you do a search for vacuum brake converson there's a bunch of threads on the issues as well as success stories with a turbo engine. Remember that the powerbastard is crap for long life and the TTA's came with vacuum already on them.;)

You could not pay me to go back to a powermaster. I had it and went to the hydroboost. Vacuum might be just as good , I dont know. I do know the hydroboost is light years ahead of the powermaster.

I have read lots of posts in this section but I still don't know the difference between them. powermaster, hydroboost, or vacuum.

Powerbastard is electric powered and it's 25+ years old now. The only one that sells rebuilt ones is Kirbans and they aint cheap. The other 2 options are mechanical based so they don't rely on anything other than the engine and the brakes will still work if the engine looses power. They may be hard but they will work. With a powerbastard if they fail you're screwed.

what came stock? ive got new metric calipers up front and the 11 ford big drum brakes on the 9'. I still have no clue which way to go. lol I need to get a plan so I can get that and the line lock done. What would you guys do if it were you?

On an NA gas engine it would have the vacuum brakes. If it was a turbo car it would have either hydroboost or powerbastard depending on when it was made in 85. Don't remember if the diesel was available in 85 but it would be hydroboost as well.

Its a na car. What is involved with installing a hydroboost? pro's and cons between that and manual?

There's a full write up on the hydroboost install but for some reason I can't find it tonight. Check the stickys in this forum and do a search about brakes. The stopping power of manual brakes sucks compared to vacuum or hydroboost.

I wasnt planning on running power steering. I hadn't decided yet. If I dont, hydroboost would work. Thats why I figured it was vacuum or manual.