what turbo for 9.50 150mph

fastblackracing

hey guys i need help choosing the best turbo the first time for my stage 2 block 233" motor 3.4 crank 6.5 rods wiseco 8.0-1 compression. cam is custom grind i had made for a 274" motor 224*.563 lift intake 212*.520lift exhaust 113*lobe centers installed at 107*icl or 6*advanced. I have t/a 3 bolt stainless headers, 31/2 down pipe with internal wastgate. heavily ported stock intake ported champion aluminum heads, with 1.6 rockers i may change these to shaft mounts. everything else i wish to use i do not want to go 4 bolt. Also what valve spring is needed to turn this to 7000 max seems like it was done at 6200 before .This is solid roller lifter, the cam lobes are 3119 and 3312. The torque converter will be whatever dusty tells me it needs. the fuel system and intercooler are up for the job and the car always hooked pretty good.I have my $ and am ready to get back at it. My sons 427windsor f2 project is almost done so were finding some buick time now . thanks for the input hope to hear from those who have been there and have good input. Thanks in advance this buick world is awesome! Mannie Ecker

billit wheel dbb 71gtq 3bolt call patrick rubio @ precision turbo & (pte) engine.he,s the man he will point you in the rite direction for all youre turbo needs.ask about porting the wastegate port since youre running internal wastegate.gabby rohas street car has gone low 9,s w/ a billet wheel 71gtq with a far less motor 109 than you on e-85

hey guys i need help choosing the best turbo the first time for my stage 2 block 233" motor 3.4 crank 6.5 rods wiseco 8.0-1 compression. cam is custom grind i had made for a 274" motor 224*.563 lift intake 212*.520lift exhaust 113*lobe centers installed at 107*icl or 6*advanced. I have t/a 3 bolt stainless headers, 31/2 down pipe with internal wastgate. heavily ported stock intake ported champion aluminum heads, with 1.6 rockers i may change these to shaft mounts. everything else i wish to use i do not want to go 4 bolt. Also what valve spring is needed to turn this to 7000 max seems like it was done at 6200 before .This is solid roller lifter, the cam lobes are 3119 and 3312. The torque converter will be whatever dusty tells me it needs. the fuel system and intercooler are up for the job and the car always hooked pretty good.I have my $ and am ready to get back at it. My sons 427windsor f2 project is almost done so were finding some buick time now . thanks for the input hope to hear from those who have been there and have good input. Thanks in advance this buick world is awesome! Mannie Ecker

Anywhere from a Pt71 to pt76 would get the job done..If this was my combo,I would run a pt76,95lb injectors,and a fast xfi computer(good tuner) ...HTH

You are better going bigger than what you need it is usually easier on everything. At 76 is probably a good place to start. You will have to run the dog snot out of a 71 to go 150mph consistently. If you are looking at 150mph you really should start to consider the larger turbine housings. Personally at that level I would consider the billet wheel 4276. It will take some fab work but has room to grow spools well and will be easy on parts in the mid to low 9's @ 150mph. Under 150mph you have more options for smaller turbos.

FYI I would try a thinner HG to up the CR a little and take some of the adv out of the cam. I personally like a lot of spring. I would shot for at least 280# on the seat with a solid. Make sure you have pushrods, .120 wall 3/8 5/16 taper Smith Bros or Mantons.

Dang Mannie... Coming out of hiding?!?! :biggrin: Glad to see the WE4 will be back out!

K.

I ran a 76hpq on a 245" 8:1 engine. It was sluggish on the street, but spooled fine at the track. I had both a 0 pump Vigilante and an 18 blade PTC. The PTC spooled way faster.
I am getting my 9.75:1 274" together, and it will have the same 3 bolt 76hpq with the same 224 cam I ran in the 245". Should make a nice improvement.

I'd run a tang 76HPS and a 75 shot for spoolup. You need a good boost controller to control the hit on the street

I'd run a tang 76HPS and a 75 shot for spoolup. You need a good boost controller to control the hit on the street

I cant see any 76mm turbo on a 233" being harder to spool than an 88 on 274" but that 75 shot makes it a non-issue:biggrin: Not that spooling 88's is all that easy either, lol.

I know the 4276 will spool pretty easily but I am not familiar with the smaller housing stuff. My buddy has a billet wheel ball bearing 76 HPS going on a 274" S2 GN1 head motor hopefully soon, it looks like a pretty nice turbo. It'll be interesting to see what kind of power it makes.

The batmowheel:D

Seriously, I would give pte a call and see what they recomend. I do like the idea of nitrous to aid in spooling a big turbo. I run it with a stocker and the results were pretty intense.

Thanks for the input guys, I am thinking a 76 of some sort and most of your input is saying this as well. I realize 150 is a bit of a tall order for this combo but I really want it to be 9.50 capable and be able to run 9.7 -9.8 backed off of kill a little bit, I can tolerate a bit of lag on the street but I don't want a complete pig on the bottom end.

I cant see any 76mm turbo on a 233" being harder to spool than an 88 on 274" but that 75 shot makes it a non-issue:biggrin: Not that spooling 88's is all that easy either, lol.

I know the 4276 will spool pretty easily but I am not familiar with the smaller housing stuff. My buddy has a billet wheel ball bearing 76 HPS going on a 274" S2 GN1 head motor hopefully soon, it looks like a pretty nice turbo. It'll be interesting to see what kind of power it makes.

He wants something that will work good on the street. Those turbos all suck from a roll without a kickdown. It's a lot different than spooling on a t-brake. With nitrous it won't really matter even if it's a journal. The boost controller is a necessity for street use because he's lookin for low 9 sec mph. That is a handful from speeds less than 100mph especially if it can't be ramped in.

Thanks for the input guys, I am thinking a 76 of some sort and most of your input is saying this as well. I realize 150 is a bit of a tall order for this combo but I really want it to be 9.50 capable and be able to run 9.7 -9.8 backed off of kill a little bit, I can tolerate a bit of lag on the street but I don't want a complete pig on the bottom end.
You only need to go 143 to run 9.50's. There's a lot out there that will cover that. Lightening up the car really pays off when looking for that number.

With a lower compression 233 you will need to run the smallest turbo you can get away with to meet the goals unless you want to use nitrous to spool.

By wanting to stick with a 3 bolt the Precision 74-76mm would be a good choice. It's not going to spool quick on the street from a roll but launching at the track will be manageable and would be 150mph capable.

I did low 9s with a 224 cid and an old school 4 bolt T76 Q trim. I would imagine that with todays more efficient turbos you should be able to do the same with a turbo much closer to the 70mm range.
If you don't plan to use nitrous, keep the turbo on the small side. You'll sacrifice some off the top end, but the spool up will be better. The age old compromise you are forced to make when one chooses to shy away from using nitrous. :biggrin:

Guess I will throw my opinion into the discussion. :)

There are 3 local cars, including mine, that run a Precision BB 70-HPQ one is a 3 bolt housing, others 4 bolt and all are 274 cu.in. and run very close to the same numbers.

At 9.50, the boost needed is 24 psi, at 9.8 the boost is ~22 psi and 10.0 only 16-17 psi at 135 MPH.

All run Dusty's converter at 4500 stall, and the street performance is awesome. :D

At the track, they will kill a big block off the line.

A non-stroker engine version car will run almost the same, excepts it spools quicker.

I learned a while back that a little bit of lag or a turbo that that comes on a bit softer on the street can be a good thing on higher horsepower apps that get driven on the street. The old school 72 with a welded up housing and q-trim exhaust wheel that I had was decent at the track and tolerable on the street, I am simply looking to improve the combo I have with a newer technology turbo. The boost wont get turned down a lot for the street and I consider slicks street tires, from a roll is probably most important to me and keeping launch boost at 10-12# max with mid to high 1.4xx sixty foot is what I am after. IT will get a bit thinner head gasket but its not gonna change c.r. much. The car weighs about 3450 with me in it. Thanks