what size turbo?

jerrad

i was wanting to know what size turbo i should get? my combo is below but ill have a 3inch down pipe soon. thanks
jerrad

What stall convertor do you have or are you going to get a convertor at the same time as turbo?
Stock stall convertor, then the only choices are TE44, TA49, or GT3255, just a small step up from stock, several have made the same power with the stock turbo as these but its much more difficult with the stocker, all depends on tuning.
With a 2800-3000 stall convertor there are meny possibilities...
depends on your goals, but I bet whatever turbo you get, those 009's will be maxed out if your tuning abilities are up to par.

My opinion, a TE-60 & the 009's are a good match plenty of fuel in 1/8 mi. runs for sure. With good tuning the stock D-5 conv. will work but it does help if it's "loosend" up a bit! I don't think there's enough gain from a stock turbo(in good cond.) to a '49/44 turbo for the money! Jus' my opinion (but I BTDT).

Originally posted by psikuout
I don't think there's enough gain from a stock turbo(in good cond.) to a '49/44 turbo for the money! Jus' my opinion (but I BTDT).
Exactly my opinion as well, I was running as fast with the stocker than most do with those turbos, just takes tuning. But I also had maxxed out my 40# injectors with the stocker at 21# boost, they were flowing 108% DC and still leaning out with 760 O2 readings.

Originally posted by psikuout
My opinion, a TE-60 & the 009's are a good match plenty of fuel in 1/8 mi. runs for sure. With good tuning the stock D-5 conv. will work but it does help if it's "loosend" up a bit! I don't think there's enough gain from a stock turbo(in good cond.) to a '49/44 turbo for the money! Jus' my opinion (but I BTDT).

would the 009's be enough in the 1/4 mile? also i have alky so would that let me use the 009's sence its like a 7th injector?

I was running about 28psi with 009s, and a 7th shooter, getting 11.1, and 1.51 60' today at a track rental. I ended up putting in the smallest jet in the 7th shooter to get 02s down in the 700s, like 780. I was soooo fat, my car was not running right from the beginning. After leaning it out, a lot, it started to make some good power. I have a 100% stock motor. Get a TE-61! Sweet street performance, and enough turbo to go 30psi, easy! You will need at least a 3000 stall. I have had a 44 turbo, and a pt-52, but the best so far is my current TE-61. Same price, mo fun!;) . My TE-61 came with a turbine housing of .63. It spooled up very fast, too fast. So I put on a .85 turbing housing. Now I can launch at 10psi, and make it stick. Before, I would launch, and boost would climb so fast, I would break traction, even with 28x10.5 slicks! I was getting about 1.64 60', now I can get an easy 1.51 60'. I use methanol in my alky inj., so I guess that adds more fuel, I probably do not need a 7th shooter, yet!, but running fat with a lot of octane is safe.

turbo2nr: who sells the te 61 for a good price? and also can i get it from the distributer with the different turbo housing ?

I bought mine from Ron's Auto in NJ, no core charge! Great price. Sure you can get the larger housing. Percision makes the turbine housing, and John Craig (Limit) makes the TE-61.

I bought mine from Ron's Auto in NJ, no core charge! Great price. Sure you can get the larger housing. Percision makes the turbine housing, and John Craig (Limit) makes the TE-61.

I bought mine from Ron's Custom Auto in NJ, no core charge! Great price. Sure you can get the larger housing. Percision makes the turbine housing, and John Craig (Limit) makes the TE-61.

Just google Ron's auto, or Ron's custom auto. He is playing and will be back next wed.. Prices are best when you talk to owner;)

i looked on a web site and they said i need at least a 3200 stall convertor is this true and if it is can i use a stockconvertor until i can afford a new one? also it said i needed at least 55# injectors is this true or can i still use my 009s?

I run 009s and have no problem with fuel at 29psi. I spray methanol in an alky kit, so I guess that adds some fuel. I use direct scan, and tell my chip burner, Red Armstrong, exactly what I plan on doing, then fine tune with a 7th injector (really a 7th shooter using jet sizes), fuel pressure, and the alky kit. I use the smallest 7th shooter jet I have.

With 009's by themselves you will be out of injector by 22# if not sooner with that size turbo is my guess. You'll need bigger injectors, or a 7th inj and alky also replaces/adds fueling. Unless you crank up your fp to an awefully high amount, like 50# or so.

so with the 009's and my alky kit can i run 24#s of boost with the te61? or will the 009's still not be enough even with the alky

Originally posted by jerrad
so with the 009's and my alky kit can i run 24#s of boost with the te61? or will the 009's still not be enough even with the alky
I don't know the answer to that since I haven't used alky, I know it will make up alot for missing fuel, don't know how much, you might ask that in the ALKY forum.

I ran that boost 24-25 psi. with my TA62 and Bosch 42.5lb. injectors.

Pump gas and alky.

Stock heads and cam.

They were just about maxxed out too.

97-99% duty cycles.

A Red Armstrong 108 chip will push up to 125% duty cycle. Yes this is possible. It will do this at 255maf. Yes it is high, but it works! So you can go beyond the rated HP of any injector, also adding fuel pressure will help (injectors are rated at 42.5 psi static, and I don't know what duty cycle, but I'm sure it is below 100%). Then when you add alky, even a single nozzle kit, 30psi is possible with 009s and a big turbo. I see a rich (safe) 02 reading at 30psi (like 780-800), 45psi fuel pressure, alky on setting 6 of 10 pump speed. I have stock heads, and motor. TE-61. I really do not think you need any more fuel, (like a 7th injector), but always start off rich, and reduce fuel, or add boost untill you see knock or a lean 02 reading. If I run a bigger turbo, or more boost, I will need to raise my pump speed on alky, or add a 2nd nozzle, or use 7th inj. to add more fuel. :eek: