what oil to use in the supercharger on an 01 GTP?

novaderrik

is there a different oil that can be used in the supercharger than the GM/AC Delco stuff from a dealer?
i've been trying to find a cheaper equivalent alternative online for a couple of days, but haven't come up with anything certain... some say that you have to use the GM stuff, some say to just use motor oil, some say to use gear oil.. i got blank stares from 8 different people at 3 different parts stores today when i asked them for supercharger oil...

just finding out what the oil is- viscosity, additives, etc- would be helpful..

Buy the GM oil from ZZP most dealers will sell it at full list price, so even with shipping it is much cheaper, and it is the ONLY oil to run in your SC. change it every 30k miles,

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/62-GM-Supercharger-Oil.aspx

and check the condition of your SC coupler it is a common wear part, take the belt off and move the pulley back and fourth there should not be much slop, if there is the plastic coupler has wear and should be replaced, I cant even begin to tell you how many people have replaced entire SC assemblies because they did not know about that part

all of my searches led me to an oil made by Lucas and sold thru Kenne Belle for their blowers, and a GM service bulletin from a while back that said to use Mobil 1 5W-30 in it... apparently you are supposed to change it every 30,000 miles if you go with the Mobil 1 option and the "correct" oil is supposed to be good for the life of the blower but goes to crap when the plastic coupler gets chewed up and contaminates it..
i'll find out more tomorrow when i talk to the lady at the local NAPA/Cenex and find out what her oil supplier told her.

There is no definitive answer. The owners manual of cars with the series 1 3800 (m62 blower) did state that 5W-30 synthetic oil was acceptable.

From a conversation a rivperformance member had with Eaton:
According to Eaton" The oil used in our superchargers is classified."
rivperformance member: "My 1995 GM service manual,on the M62, offers 5w30 oil as a substitute for GM oil"
Eaton: "We cannot answer why GM allows 5w30 as a substitute.Our oil is a NYE 605.It is a gear oil"
rivperformance member: "Why doesn't GM offer 5w30 as a substitute oil in the M90 S/C"
Eaton: "We cannot answer why GM does not allow 5W30 oil as a substitute"

Ill continue using my PRO recommended blend of 5W30 syn oil with Lucas oil stabilizer.
Eaton can shove their stinky NYE 605 oil right back up their arses.

Another product recommended by Supercharger USA .com for their rebuilds.
43_s.png

The Redline stuff is used for high HP Blowers.
PSEsuperchargers.com,out of oklahoma,A S/C rebuilding company, only uses Mobil 15w50 oil.period.
Not one company i called use the GM oil.They go so far as to recommend it,but when asked if they use GM oil,the answer is no.Lotsa cooks in the kitchen but everybody is using different ingredients. Not following the recipe at all!
Update: According to a source,One of the ingredients in the GM oil is a Synthetic Castor bean oil. It just sounds more and more like Gm Wants to scare the consumer into buying Gm oil exclusively by engineering an Exotic S/C oil.
The performance S/C repair and rebuild industry would go out of business overnight if their superchargers burned up for failing to use the Eaton/GM recommended oil

Personally I just use GM supercharger oil part #12345982 because it's easy to find and about $5 a bottle. You need 2 bottles. I change it every 30k mi and check the level every 2nd oil change.