What new turbo performs like a 3255A or E?

Walt03

I'd like input on this as I always wanted a 3255A or E but couldn't find one at the right price. This turbo supposedly had a stronger midrange than the TA-49>

Can Patrick or the experts comment on some of the new school turbos that I should consider?
Thanks

E is NON stoc appearing and A IS stock appearing.

Stock App= The inlet bell bolts to the compressor like the stock turbo.

Its a good turbo either way

Nice post. I always wanted the GT3255 too. I figured the 5857 was it's replacement. Imagine this turbo with the air-cooled, ball bearing center housing rotating assembly. Prolly bada ss and would work with a stockish converter.

The 58-57 will make much more power than the 32. The GT32 is a very nice unit, but the billet wheel 58 is rated at 600 HP i believe.

I wonder what the boost pressure needs to be to make the 58-57 work well, say 18# and how would it work at #21. Does it get violent? What parts would need to be changed to control wheelspin:cam change, torque converter change, rear gears.
Are the people that use this newer turbo technology finding out that they need to rethink how to put the power to the ground? what old thinking needs to be changed? what is the most important change to consider going to the new turbos? Should the new journal bearing billet be considered over the air ceramic DBB's? Should one also lean toward the DBB's and faster spooling? There may be more to think about going to the new technology but once you put your money down, it may be impossible to fix the combination without throwing a lot of money at it. That's why I'm wondering about the things that need to be considered as I'm contemplating this 58-57 but don't know whether to go journal or dbb.

Realistically, this turbo on a Buick, likes to run between 16-25psi. Not to say that it can't be run higher, which it absolutely can. This turbo is not violent by any means, but it can be if abused on a traction challenged surface on regular radials. Just as any turbo would. Heck a stocker can put you in the ditch just a fast as anything if not careful. If you have a stock D5 converter and want neck snapping acceleration from a standing punch, definitely go with the air cooled ceramic dual ball bearing version. As the journal bearing version with a stock D5 converter will have some slight lag from a punch. It should spool faster than an older TE-44, but not by much. But it will significantly out perform the TE-44 once you start cranking up the boost.

As an example, this turbo is rated to support 605 flywheel hp at around 30psi. Knowing that, we can say it should roughly support 362 flywheel at 18psi and roughly 423 at 21psi. A difference of about 62hp. That being math on paper. 605 flywheel hp equates out to 60.5 lbs per minute of airflow. I can share with you that this turbo, on other applications, has made 508 whp at 21psi, and 573 whp at 27psi. Now, given, this was on a DOHC 4 cylinder 2.0L application, that has a more efficient design with regards to flow capabilities, but you get a general idea of what the turbo is capable of.
This turbo is a great choice for basic stock car with bolt ons. Wanting to run low 12's to high 11's without having to crank the boost and have quick spool up.
HTH

Patrick