What Mic and dial bore gauge?

Wahoo

I want to buy some tools to measure the main and rod bearings for doing my bottom end. I figure I'd like to check my machinist, and I'll also double check with plastic-gauge.

I don't think I need an entire Mic set, just probably 2-3" outside diameter micrometer, any recommendations?

Thx

How much you want to spend??? You can get decent Chinese stuff that will tell you what you need to know. It's sad that I have to recommend Chinese tools for checking inches....

How much you want to spend??? You can get decent Chinese stuff that will tell you what you need to know. It's sad that I have to recommend Chinese tools for checking inches....
I have $150 I need to spend from work before the new year. So I don't mind around $300 or a little more to get both tools

I have bought some very good Mitutoyo calipers, ID and OD mics, Starrett levels, fluke meters and other high end tools at the pawn shops. Some have been brand spanking new in the package and they always give time for refunds upon a calibration check or I talk the price down really really really low.

You need to be able to measure down to 0.0001" I don't think $150 is going to get you there. I'm still looking for a good bore gauge myself. I bought a set of USA made 0-6" micrometers used off a board member. They are made by Scherr-Tumico

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You arent gonna find a dial bore gauge in that price range but you can buy a decent mic and use it to measure off an affordable chinese bore gauge. I would trust the measurement a lot more since you would be measuring the crank and gauge with the same mic. I worked in machine shops for a while and didnt realize how good i had it with tens of thousands of dollars worth of measuring tools at my disposal (gauge blocks, pins, straight edges, thread gauges etc etc)!

You arent gonna find a dial bore gauge in that price range but you can buy a decent mic and use it to measure off an affordable chinese bore gauge. I would trust the measurement a lot more since you would be measuring the crank and gauge with the same mic. I worked in machine shops for a while and didnt realize how good i had it with tens of thousands of dollars worth of measuring tools at my disposal (gauge blocks, pins, straight edges, thread gauges etc etc)!
What brand can you recommend me?

If I have to buy only 1 good brand tool and one cheap Chinese tool to get me by I will.

I'm guessing the Mic is most important. A cheap dial bore gauge I can measure with the good mic.

Gonna double check with plastic gauge as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_gauge

The "telescopic" bore gauge set is what i was referring to (couldnt remember the exact nomenclature in my previous reply). Theyre spring loaded with a lock screw. You insert it as you would a dial bore gauge, lock it down and remove it to measure with your mic. Theyre pretty affordable and you can use the saved money on a better quality mic (or mic set). These are good for checking clearance since the actual measurement isnt really important, youre just checking the difference between 2 measurements (which would be extremely accurate since youd be measuring both with the same mic as mentioned above. This would eliminate "feel" and calibration from the equation). You can check your feel and calibration of said mics by going to a friendly machine shop and checking them against their set of "standards". If i hand a micrometer or dial caliper to 5 different people i could conceivably get 5 different measurements due to feel, practice makes perfect.

I would trust the reading off a telescopic gauge more than a janky used dial bore gauge that could have been dropped, abused, shpped through ups etc. For the money and what youre looking to do with it i think this is the way to go

I would probably get a kit, depends on how many mics you are gonna buy to measure them with. You can measure them with a dial caliper too, just not for anything super accurate. When you go to buy mics i would lean toward quality used ones of a good name brand (the ones mentioned above, brown &sharpe, starret, mitutoyo, fowler etc.) And if you can find them in your price range get ones with carbide faces on the anvils. Also, a word of caution: if youre gonna measure soft bearings with telescoping gauges, practice first on something iron (like a rod with no bearings, a cam bore without a bearing etc.) Till you get the feel of them. Try and measure one a bunch of times resetting the gauge each time and aim for the same feel/reading each time. A worst case scenario would be scarring up a soft bearing face thats "already been measured by a machinist".

I wouldnt buy a digital mic (or caliper for that matter) but that's just my opinion. If you can find a pawn shop or used tool dealer or craigslist and score a good set of quality mics from an old school machinist that would be ideal.

I wouldnt buy a digital mic (or caliper for that matter) but that's just my opinion. If you can find a pawn shop or used tool dealer or craigslist and score a good set of quality mics from an old school machinist that would be ideal.
You just don't like digital or are there pros and cons?

I figure digital would be the easiest to read. Not sure I want to get used in case they're inaccurate due to being thrown around or dropped.

I have a friend with other tools, but I just want to buy good tools for measuring the main and rod bearings. So whatever I minimally need for that.

Just personal preference, plus the batteries have a habit of dying at the worst time. No shop i ever worked at used digital mics or calipers for anything precise. Theyre good for going to the stock rack and getting a quick measurement but i wouldnt make missile parts with them... again, this is my opinion, your results may vary and others may disagree. if given the choice between used high quality ones and new chinese ones for the same money i would go used every time, just like i would buy a used snap on ratchet before i'd buy one from harbor freight.

Just personal preference, plus the batteries have a habit of dying at the worst time. No shop i ever worked at used digital mics or calipers for anything precise. Theyre good for going to the stock rack and getting a quick measurement but i wouldnt make missile parts with them... again, this is my opinion, your results may vary and others may disagree. if given the choice between used high quality ones and new chinese ones for the same money i would go used every time, just like i would buy a used snap on ratchet before i'd buy one from harbor freight.
OK, I'll go mechanical, it's cheaper anyways.

So how's this one? http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...2-3-x-0001-od-micrometer-enamel-ratchet-w-std

And then the telescopic bore gauge

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...re-gauge-sets/2-1-4-to-3-1-2-telescoping-gage

Well this be a good combo for what I want to do?

Thx

That combo looks perfect, and the mic comes with a standard to check against which will help you dial in your feel. Let me know how it works out

That combo looks perfect, and the mic comes with a standard to check against which will help you dial in your feel. Let me know how it works out
Judging by the picture, are the ends of the telescoping bore gauge pointy/fine enough to get an accurate enough measurement?