What kind of timing you run ? 25 psi

mrsyclone

Hello

I wonder what kind of timing you run on 25-30 psi boost? I´m running 26 degrees total timing (compression is 8.8 ).I have som issues with the plugs, and the fuel is E85. I have spoken to Pete at PTE and he says that 26 degrees is to much timing, what do you think?
Thanks Robert

Where are you at? Altitude wise.

When I first got a T-Type, I met a guy with lots of race experience w/ these cars (RIP Jackman). He was certain that high timing was needed in these cars, but we are at 5300 ft., so we can get away w/ it.

Enter Joe Lubrant, he had always burned my chips and was hesitant to burn a chip w/ 28-30 deg. timing for me, but did as I asked. The car always ran great w/ it (if I kept knock in check). As I started getting bigger and bigger turbos, Joe convinced me that I could make more power w/ boost and not timing. High timing will limit your boost range.

Now, many years later, I run a TT chip (21-22 deg. timing) and lots of boost.

Joe knows his stuff, as many people on this board do. Good luck.

Lee

Hello

I wonder what kind of timing you run on 25-30 psi boost? I´m running 26 degrees total timing (compression is 8.8 ).I have som issues with the plugs, and the fuel is E85. I have spoken to Pete at PTE and he says that 26 degrees is to much timing, what do you think?
Thanks Robert

Im running 24 with 110 octane and 25psi. I wont go any higher on timing

at a certain point your egts will go down with higher timing since the fire will be more into the cylinder but where it reverses is the stopping point. my car ran higher at 23/21 than 27/24

You guys really need to read the whole post. He is running E-85. I would think closer to 30 would be safe, E-85 likes more timing.
I did read his entire post. If he takes your advise he will be playing with fire. Fwiw c16 has a higher knock limit than E85;) and he couldnt run it that hard reliably with it. 30 psi on top of 8.8:1, 30 degrees advance, and a small hydraulic cam spells potential disaster. The mid range bmep will be too high. Theres is no reason for him to go over 25 degrees at those boost levels.

You guys really need to read the whole post. He is running E-85. I would think closer to 30 would be safe, E-85 likes more timing.

Besides we dont want people "thinking" about this. You better know it if you post it and rec it.