what is this sound?

white88montess

'08 is when she will come
ok......i havent been on this forum in a longggggggggggggggggggggggg time...my current car im owning is a 99 pontiac gtp(supercharged) n e way..... i start college this fall....next month actually..and n e way......i should be finnacially set to get my first grand national next year around this time(lord willing of course)ok....the thing is.... i've been told many things... i would like you guys to tell me what this sound is...i've heard it was the external wastegate making the fluttering giggling noise on this gn after he does his burnout and it came to me ...well i just thought it was his blow off valve doing its job and preventing comp. surge and venting the pressure into the atmosphere...... also there is another vid of a sy(clone) making same noise....could someone please tell me what these sounds are??? and what they are coming from...thanks in advance...

Video - 1986 TE-44 Buick Grand National on Drag Radials vs. Stage 3 Roush Mustang

and the syclone:
Video - GMC Syclone 10,08sec Sweden

and if these are bov's ...could someone tell me what brands they could possible be.....thanks for your time

ok......i havent been on this forum in a longggggggggggggggggggggggg time...my current car im owning is a 99 pontiac gtp(supercharged) n e way..... i start college this fall....next month actually..and n e way......i should be finnacially set to get my first grand national next year around this time(lord willing of course)ok....the thing is.... i've been told many things... i would like you guys to tell me what this sound is...i've heard it was the external wastegate making the fluttering giggling noise on this gn after he does his burnout and it came to me ...well i just thought it was his blow off valve doing its job and preventing comp. surge and venting the pressure into the atmosphere...... also there is another vid of a sy(clone) making same noise....could someone please tell me what these sounds are??? and what they are coming from...thanks in advance...

Video - 1986 TE-44 Buick Grand National on Drag Radials vs. Stage 3 Roush Mustang

and the syclone:
Video - GMC Syclone 10,08sec Sweden

and if these are bov's ...could someone tell me what brands they could possible be.....thanks for your time

That's turbo sneeze you're hearing, and it's really nothing to worry about. It's caused when the throttle is closed rapidly and the air in the pre-turbo plumbing is backing up, having no place to go. Totally common on these cars (very few of which actually have blow off valves because they're not required).

Some will tell you it's damaging the turbo. I always raise the BS flag on that notion. Those that doubt it should come listen to my original 130,000 mile turbo, still going strong on another of our families Turbo Regals. I've got a TA49 on my 87 and a PTE44 on my 86, both of which have in excess of 100,000 miles and neither has suffered for it. Especially the 86, which has been raced all it's life.

so its not a blow off valve or the waste gate???? cause some people swear its bov or waste gate....

All GN/Ts do- if the stock airbox is still in use, it muffles the 'sneeze' sound pretty effectively.

If you have other questions on the GTP, go to the SW section and look for Victor aka "my1stgn"- He's got a 12 sec one...

I posted this in another forum once....

zeus87gn said:
The sound you are referring to can affectionately be know as "turbo snort".

It's the sound your TR makes after sucking in potential victims and spitting them back out after beating them in a race.

:biggrin: