What Is this 2004R Pump Mod?

bnewsom

Found this while looking for cause of low pressure. Can't make pressure sucking air... This was found in a trans that someone had been into but not ran. Its just a 1/4" hole that has been drilled and threaded that goes into the pump pickup passage just above where the pump neck extends into it. Guesses welcome
pump2.jpg

Someone was testing for cavitation during operation, locating the test port above filter inlet would verify restriction caused by different filters using same inlet source. The builder probably saw outlet pressure flucuations during acceleration and was testing different pump pick-up/filter configurations.
I've thought the same thing myself, why filter oil before the actual pump? a debris screen is all that is really needed.
A true "filter" would be best utilized between pump outlet and mainline valvebody feed, but does not exist at this point,...yet.

Kevin.

[Someone was testing for cavitation during operation, locating the test port above filter inlet would verify restriction caused by different filters using same inlet source. The builder probably saw outlet pressure flucuations during acceleration and was testing different pump pick-up/filter configurations.
I've thought the same thing myself, why filter oil before the actual pump? a debris screen is all that is really needed.
A true "filter" would be best utilized between pump outlet and mainline valvebody feed, but does not exist at this point,...yet.

Nice guess Kevin , But I don't think that was it. If you remember, the old school Vigilante 6 disc lockup converter used to come with a crazy tube that used suction from this area to help unlock the converter. It was a brass, welded up, backyard piece of plumbing. Drill, tap and plug the passage with a 1/8" NPT plug and forget it was every there.

Hi Dave, I never personally used a lock-up before, but I would have questioned it for sure.
The picture looked like some mad scientist work in pursuit of an answer, been guilty of some of that once or twice.

Kevin.

Drill, tap and plug the passage with a 1/8" NPT plug and forget it was every there.
That's exactly what I did - just hope there are no more surprises. The work was clean and well done that it did not catch my eye until I compared the pump section by section to another one. But I rarely go into an trans and then not too deep so not surprised that I missed it on the first time or two I looked it over.

the old school Vigilante 6 disc lockup converter used to come with a crazy tube that used suction from this area to help unlock the converter. It was a brass, welded up, backyard piece of plumbing.

This crazy backyard tube is used to help lock the convertor clutch. Red Armstrong still uses it and the old school Vigilante. I do as well. There's no substitute for locking the convertor.

This crazy backyard tube is used to help lock the convertor clutch. Red Armstrong still uses it and the old school Vigilante. I do as well. There's no substitute for locking the convertor.
Thanks fo the info. Where does the line connect to. Just trying to see what else I need to look for to go back to stock.
Thanks again. Bob

I never said the Vigilante wasn't a good converter. Lots of people still using them with success.

I never said the Vigilante wasn't a good converter. Lots of people still using them with success.

You referred to the lock up assist tube as a crazy backyard piece of pluming and you called the Vigilante old school. These aren't generally considered terms of high praise.

Just a quick follow up - screwed a plug into the hole and staked it. Went through the valve body using a transgo shift kit. Found several holes in the plate enlarged way more that the shift kit recommended so I replaced it and drilled per instructions. Got it all back together and pressures look good. Up on jack stands it shifts through the gears fine. Truck is not ready to get on the road yet but moved around the shop and yard OK so think all is well.