What is the best way to hookup a winch to pull a GN onto a car trailer?

tpaul

What's the best place to hook up to a GN to winch it onto a flatbed car trailer? I have a full floor 18' dovetail car trailer with an 8,000 lb. winch. I need to know the best place to hook up to a GN to winch it on the trailer. I have a 10K lb. axle strap that can be wrapped around the center of the cross member... would this work? Suggestions please!

Thanks,
Tim

That's the way I used to winch my Chevelle up on my trailer. (back when I had a Chevelle, truck and trailer) :( Just watch out that you don't mess up your IC scoop or air dams when you do it.

Getting the cable to clear the front air dam is the trick. There is a hole in each of the front frame horns and I hook the cable there and use a piece of 4X4 wood block to go between the cable and frame to hold the cable off the front air dam.

I use a J-hook like the professional towing guys use. On the front part of the frame rails are oval slots. Get a J-hook with an eyelet and twist it into the frame and than the hook from the winch attaches to the eyelet. I've cut a piece of walling stud that fits up under the energy absorber so the cable doesn't chew up the lower deflectors.

Just did this last week. The oval holes in the frame are the way to go. You need to put something in between the chain and frame so that the air dams will clear. Good luck.