What is the best alky "kit"?

I have been reading the alky forum for some time and would like to purchase an alcohol injection kit. There seems to be quite a bit of recommendations for a "progressive" controller as well. Who make the best set up and sells it as a whole? I see a lot of DIY threads but I don't know if I trust myself enough for that. Also I imagine it will be time to buy a turbolink as Scanmaster is not sufficient to tune an alky kit I worry. Any help for a poor soul trying to get some more out of my car on pump gas???.....

Listen, an alcohol injection system is basically a pump, nozzle and tank. The simpler it is kept the easier it is. If you have the ability to install a car radio..you can do this.

No matter what route you take..they all lead to the same river..pump,nozzle, and tank. The debates are how to control the pumps. Both the prefab kits like the SMC, DIY, and stuff I do are all going in the same direction. They all require wiring, drilling, mounting stuff. The experience and technical assistance available on this board cannot be surpassed by any other web site.

If you do your reading and spend some time visiting sites and articles..you will get a grasp on line 1 :)

The complications happen when you break into the 11's for power.. Thats when the power is really being made and requirements are higher.

Decide what you would like the car to do..then make a game plan how your going to take care of that issue..thats what this forum is for. To give different views on the same thing. I too had your feelings initially when I did mine 2 years ago..so i understand.

There are pro's and cons to every way you decide to go about doing this..they usually revolve around $$$ and convenience :)

And just added..you can do this with your scanmaster..as your end result of 02's will vary with fueling. Your looking for zero knock and a happy motor. Direct scan/turbolink are needed for extended diagnostics. like making chips..

Originally posted by Razor
Listen, an alcohol injection system is basically a pump, nozzle and tank. The simpler it is kept the easier it is. If you have the ability to install a car radio..you can do this.

No matter what route you take..they all lead to the same river..pump,nozzle, and tank. The debates are how to control the pumps. Both the prefab kits like the SMC, DIY, and stuff I do are all going in the same direction. They all require wiring, drilling, mounting stuff. The experience and technical assistance available on this board cannot be surpassed by any other web site.

If you do your reading and spend some time visiting sites and articles..you will get a grasp on line 1 :)

The complications happen when you break into the 11's for power.. Thats when the power is really being made and requirements are higher.

Decide what you would like the car to do..then make a game plan how your going to take care of that issue..thats what this forum is for. To give different views on the same thing. I too had your feelings initially when I did mine 2 years ago..so i understand.

There are pro's and cons to every way you decide to go about doing this..they usually revolve around $$$ and convenience :)

And just added..you can do this with your scanmaster..as your end result of 02's will vary with fueling. Your looking for zero knock and a happy motor. Direct scan/turbolink are needed for extended diagnostics. like making chips..

This is an exellent explanation. Alcohol injection is very simple to install. There's only a few components. I like the low dollar, high quality of my DIY kit. I get a BANG for the buck and you can too. ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be a little more specific in my needs I suppose by suggesting that I want to run 11.8-12.0's in street trim on drag radials with my current combo and a new alky kit. Does this kind of power require a progressive controller? I see a lot of threads saying too much alky too soon will bog the car down. I want to do this right the first time as I have learned it is far cheaper in the long run. I will purchase a new chip for whatever is the recommended timing. I am looking for a complete kit to acheive this goal. Anyone got opinions?

If you check my signature, you'll see my car goes 12.50s on street tires. This is no super tuning for track only. I drive my car a lot of miles and it's capable of this anytime. If I could knock a couple tenths off with DRs, obviously I would go faster. If I paid attention to my tune, I could possibly go faster. I'm not using any progressive alky but I must say, Razor's progressive kit looks like a good way to go. It at least eliminates purchasing a pressure switch and more expensive nitrous nozzles.

Two Lane- Price is not my main consideration as I would rather spend a little more and not tear up my motor. I see an SMC kit is 400 dollars and I assume I could DIY for a little less maybe even with a progressive contoller. I am not exactly sure of the entire cost of a DIY system.

Red Regal T-Anyone running Razor's kit? or have some real world experiences?

Thanks again for all the input...

First of all, a diy kit will cost you from $150 to $175 installed. I know Razor's kit works. I know Julio personally and he's not the kind of person to put something out just to make money. You'll have to ask him or someone who has installed his kit. It is the newest kit on the scene. The kit supplies the power progressively to the pump as you throttle up and eliminates the use of a hobb's pressure switch which is either on or off.

Something that could tear up a motor is a failing pump. My Shurflo pump has been on the car for 80,000 miles. I'd say that says it's pretty much bulletproof. The pump is the heart of the system.

What makes the progressive route expensive is the electronics. The install is about the same. You have stuff to do and drill etc..it still is very competitive with the aftermarket systems..with the added control.

Tuning it in is simple..fine tuning can be a little work. Since the turnon/ramp/and gain are all adjustable. But this is the beauty..your not locked in to one dimension.

Email me for more info..and yes its available in kit form...if you rather not do the legwork.. guys with the turbo link boost sensing or 3 bar maps..are half way there.

I`ve been reading this section for quite some time now.I`m an owner of a single turbo Supra.I tried the SMC kit , new square bottle ,larger pump.I also run dual 10`s nozzles.I have very limited space so chose this route.I don`t think you can go wrong with any of the DIY kits talked about on here,just my choice and customer service of SMC seems VERY good.Steve has been very helpful.I made 617 rwhp on 93 pump and denatured alky on my recent dyno tune,after 14 pulls.Motor was hot.Still only ran 12.4 at 125 at track ,supras don`t hook like a GN,which by the way i use to own but never raced.
Good luck on your choice alky is the way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!