What is my 1987 Grand National w/ 2,942 miles worth? putting it up for sale

Joseph Mccamish

1987 Buick Grand National with 2,942 miles. Car is 99.9% original, only item I have changed is the battery. Not one scratch or dent. Car has T Tops that have never been removed. I am putting this car up for sale and wanted you guys to tell me what you think it would bring.

Attachments

• IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4343.JPG
    IMG_4343.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 269
You can have a look at a recent thread for a similar car...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/5k-mile-86-worth.424059/

Depends on a few things as mentioned:
  1. Are you the original owner?
  2. Do you have complete service records dating back to the car's delivery?
  3. Have those 3,000 miles been put on in a manner appropriate for the maintenance of the car?
  4. Has it been stored properly?
  5. What other options does it have?
  6. Location of the car.
There are other considerations as well. T-top cars don't generally bring as much as hard top or astro roof cars, for instance. Still, the car is probably worth somewhere in the low to mid-$30,000's, if everything is in order. I would ask for more. You never know. Low mileage GN's are not hard to come by. I think one would be hard pressed to meet my expectations for anything north of $25,000. But then I'm not in the market anyways. Good luck with the sale of your car. :)

I'm assuming that T top cars don't bring as much due to body flex, rattles, leaks. Have I missed anything?

I'm assuming that T top cars don't bring as much due to body flex, rattles, leaks. Have I missed anything?
I'm no expert but beings that it only has 3k on it....would it be safe to say that it should NOThave any rattles and leaks therefore bring more than the average? Just sayin

I would imagine that would depend on the needs of the future buyer. If the new owner plans to race it, probably worth less than the buyer who wants pure enjoyment. I'm never taking my GN to the track so T tops are a plus.

For what it's worth I paid 30,000 for 10,000 mile all original Molly signed car 3 yrs ago and couldn't be happier. Even if it was too much no issues for full enjoyment. Ask what you want and hang on to it it if you can't get it.

From what ive seen lately id say 35K maybe a little more. id ask for 38 and wait till you get it. value is only gonna go up ttops or not

Also check out hemmings.com, to see what people are asking for similar cars. Theres a few low mileage gns on there

I would think a car with this low mileage that had been stored correctly will probably end up in someone's high end collection. No worry about someone buying it to go racing. Probably not much chance of becoming regular weekend driver or cruise in show car either. Many more excellent examples around at reasonable prices to fit people's needs for cars in that niche to ruin such a low mileage vehicle. I think in this case T-tops would be a plus over a solid roof car because I see a future of a lot more sitting around for this car. It's sort of a shame though, with this low mileage I bet this car never had that much fun, and guessing at it's future, it never will have. :(

I agree with post#2, covers everything I was gonna say..;)

I would think a car with this low mileage that had been stored correctly will probably end up in someone's high end collection. No worry about someone buying it to go racing. Probably not much chance of becoming regular weekend driver or cruise in show car either. Many more excellent examples around at reasonable prices to fit people's needs for cars in that niche to ruin such a low mileage vehicle. I think in this case T-tops would be a plus over a solid roof car because I see a future of a lot more sitting around for this car. It's sort of a shame though, with this low mileage I bet this car never had that much fun, and guessing at it's future, it never will have. :(

I totally agree with this. If this car was properly stored, it is museum quality and being a T Top car would be a plus to someone who wants to look at it vs. someone who wants to actually drive it.

Don't let the low ballers try to sway you any other way, that car is worth in the neighborhood of $40k. I know personally of a 87 with around 1400 miles on it that sold for $40k no hesitation.

On a side note, would you mind posting some engine bay pics?

The way I see it is that the market will dictate worth and right now the market is really soft. so Id hold onto it unless you can find that right buyer.

The market is not soft for low mile, all original cars IMO. That being said, if you hold onto that thing for another 10 years it will be worth some serious cash.

Don't let the low ballers try to sway you any other way, that car is worth in the neighborhood of $40k. I know personally of a 87 with around 1400 miles on it that sold for $40k no hesitation.

On a side note, would you mind posting some engine bay pics?

Listen to THIS^^^^^^^. That car is rare. Super low mile GN's are coming out of the woodwork but I would still say that they are rare. 99.99% of the people that will buy that car are going to do the same that you did with it-NOTHING. T-Tops are NOT going to hurt that sale. I actually think it will increase it. The reason T-Top cars bring less is because they flex (you didn't race it) and they leak (you never drove it). So having a low mile T-Top GN is very valuable. Good luck with it.

Also check this out. Ebay isn't the best place to sell a car either:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/gn-with-358-miles.421148/