what is it???

Yeah...really sad. Looked to be originally a Rosewood Turbo T Limited. Highly optioned car. Cornering lamps, Twilight Sentinel, Opera lamps, Concert sound II. Too bad some a**hole had to steal it and the original owner had to lose it. Unfortunately, now it is forever branded.:mad: :frown:

What was the indicator that this has had a vin swap? Did it have the wrong rivets or something?

Also, I've heard some cars, when built, had the vin stamped into the fire wall or the frame.....did you check to see if this is so?

Perhaps if you can find the original vin, if indeed stolen/vin tag swapped, you can blow the whistle on the dealer so the authorities can find out who's car was stolen and just maybe...who the thieves are.....

hey which car lot is this at? I knew it was over there for quite some time but could never find it.

What was the indicator that this has had a vin swap? Did it have the wrong rivets or something?

Also, I've heard some cars, when built, had the vin stamped into the fire wall or the frame.....did you check to see if this is so?

Perhaps if you can find the original vin, if indeed stolen/vin tag swapped, you can blow the whistle on the dealer so the authorities can find out who's car was stolen and just maybe...who the thieves are.....

their would of been WAAAAAY to much work put in to making an "81" look like an 87. the VIN stamped on the frame idea did get talked about..but not much room to crawl under thier TURBONUT85 isn't exactly at the age to be doing that any ways;) :D :D JK.

Hey 406 ttype, I heard there may be an 87 regal parted out up in spencer. Can you keep an eye out for a good 84-87 header panel? Lookin for a 85-87 grey guage surround, a cluster lens, and a dome light housing. Let me know what you find up there. thanks

their would of been WAAAAAY to much work put in to making an "81" look like an 87. the VIN stamped on the frame idea did get talked about..but not much room to crawl under thier TURBONUT85 isn't exactly at the age to be doing that any ways;) :D :D JK.

So true. I could barely get my walker out of the truck!!:eek:

Maybe you should contact the Po-po about the car...see if they have any interest in gettin it back to the rightful owner.

...the other obvious indicator was the three thugs that came over to watch over us after a while...with that "I wonder if they know what we know about this car" look on their faces.

What was the indicator that this has had a vin swap?

Where do I begin....
--original vinyl top was still on the car...that being said, the back window was heated and the heating lines in the window were open in the center for the third brake light....which did not appear on the Regals until 1986. The original vinyl top would've been destroyed in order to get the back glass out.

--Date code stamped on the rear bumper reinforcement was 8/87
--as for the front end...the original paint was visible on BOTH fenders under the hood, as well as the header panel...MATCHING the paint on the firewall.
--had the 84-87 instrument cluster as well as the matching bezels.
--the trunk jacking instructions lable was still on the decklid...the RPO lable was gone. Also the under side of the trunklid was Rosewood as well, matching the firewall.
--The emissions sticker that is on the A/C housing was peeled off...it would've said what year the car would've met the emissions regulations.
--the serpentine belt routing sticker was still on the core support...no serpentine belt until 1986.
--the factory seam sealer was still intact around the throttle cable...that was hooked up to the throttle body--of the LC2 engine.
--the windshield had a crack convieniently where the VIN tag is.
I'm sure there other things I am forgetting. That would be ALOT of things to change if they were doing a clone.

Hey Eric---I guess the memory isn't the first thing to go when you get to be my age, huh?:p ;) :D

LOL!! nope "sharp as a tack". i have thought about talking with the "locals" and even driving by to see if its still there. they did get concerned with us looking over the car.Looked at that email... your car looks GREAT!!

well the car is "sold"! FYI IF the car was stolen the car would NOT of gone back to the rightful owner. I've spoke with a detective over a similar matter were the VIN had been tampered with and he inform me that vehicles of this nature get crushed

where's my email:confused: ? I want to see picks of the car too:biggrin:
Check your email. Have you been workin on yours with all the nice weather this week?? ...Except for today, of course.:frown:

well the car is "sold"! FYI IF the car was stolen the car would NOT of gone back to the rightful owner. I've spoke with a detective over a similar matter were the VIN had been tampered with and he inform me that vehicles of this nature get crushed

Sold huh?? I'll bet they got nervous and got rid of it. Prolly turn up somewhere else...hopefully some poor sucker won't get taken for his/her savings by buying it.:eek:

BTW thanks for the compliment. Took alot of patience, time, and a s#!tload of $$$!!!:biggrin:

actually, if no one claims the car, and nothing comes up on it, you can have a state issued vin. Still doesn't make the car worth a bucket of p!ss, but it sure would've made a great daily driver. Like said before, it would have made a good donor car.

I didn't get any pics with the email.

actually, if no one claims the car, and nothing comes up on it, you can have a state issued vin. Still doesn't make the car worth a bucket of p!ss, but it sure would've made a great daily driver. Like said before, it would have made a good donor car.

I didn't get any pics with the email.

guess the detective didn't learn that about that option in his training. :D

Wow after reading your response it does sound hot. As for the three thugs bird dogging you, do you know if they work on the lot or have any type of affiliation?

Too bad it's gone....the cops should have been called and an investigation launched.

Seems to me they still could be. Can't you guys call the local authorities and give them the info you have on the car?

They must have known the car wasn't legit. I stopped there saturday and the guy that was there said someone came and bought the car on monday. Yeah right;) If it was me I just woulda bought the damn thing and not said anything. (don't worry I didn't, I'm gonna be broke for a few more years) I'm sure it's not the first TR that's been messed with:eek:

Wow after reading your response it does sound hot. As for the three thugs bird dogging you, do you know if they work on the lot or have any type of affiliation?

Too bad it's gone....the cops should have been called and an investigation launched.

They were the same guys that gave us the keys to start it. My guess is the car is still near this lot...just in hiding. Prolly waiting til they find another crooked lot to take it off their hands.
Without crawling under the car or pulling the back seat to see if the build sheet was still there, we couldn't get the original VIN. Not sure if the cops would've been able to do anything without "probable cause" to run the VIN. If they run the one on the VIN tag they would prolly come up with: 1981 Regal Limited--original motor being a 231 2 barrel V-6 N/A...that's what I got from my books.
Here is the one that was on the VIN tag if someone wants to run a Carfax on it just for s#!ts and giggles. 1G4AM47A5BH119810

yeah they work there. the one of the three i think owned the place. the others always relayed questions asked back to him. Plus after i asked where the car was he came out to look to see who was asking. so i think they knew that WE knew.yes i wish i would've acted sooner on getting the cops involved.

oh well. It will turn up somewhere again I'm sure. Too bad though. THe car will probably end up in the junkyard or crusher eventually. God forbid anyone get to salvage the parts off of it.