What is it going to run?

turbo6man

Well I took the car to the track last Wednesday and I tried out the just installed TCI trans brake on the th350. WOW!! that is cool!! I have the boost controller set to 15PSI max (it did spike to 18 though using the "recall hi boost" on the controller"). Wide Band sensor showed rich in the mid to low 10's all the time, But at 3800RPM's and 5psi launch it spun like crazy and I had to back out and get back into it. I ran a 12.6@116mph wit a 2.33 60' time. Tried it again, this time I left at about 3200RPM's and 2PSI the car loaded for a split second and then unloaded and the tires spun allitle but quickly grabbed. I ran a 12.29@114.9 with a 1.9 60"
Please look at signiture and tell me what you think as this is a 63 chevyII hybrid? Am I close to where I should be at 15psi boost? What should I expect to see when I slowly tune/creep up to the 25 to 27psi. I would really appreciate any input and if anyone has run that precision "STEALTH 70" turbo please give more info on that as my forum searches have not turned up much. Thanks again, James :biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_6869.jpg
    100_6869.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 723
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 722
HEHE it is pretty big, but boy does it sound nice. It turns from 5" to 4" just at the fenderwall and goes into a S.S. magnaflow muffler. Sounds like a non lopey V8 at idle but has that distinct turbo6 sound under boost.:biggrin:

You will probably need to go to 3.2 or less rear gear with the light weight Chevy II. It will greatly improve your 330' time if you hook it. Numbers look like they should for the car assuming about 3300lbs with driver and shifting around 5300. There is nothing stealth about your car. Id go for the turbo that complements your driving and the rest of your combo.

OK, so you are saying to change the gear ratio. I have L60x15" which is just under 27"tall x 9.5 " tread width. I am going to buy Hoosier quick time pro tires size 11.50(10"tread width)x15 but the question would be should I buy them 28" tall or 29" tall to help the gear ratio? As far as the turbo I already have the "stealth " installed, I was wondering what the specs were on it like HP potential/what et's have been run with them. I would think at my current setting of 15psi max boost that turbo still has waaay more potential as I creep it up to 20+psi, but i do not know what to expect? Thanks again for the good info, and if anyone has more I would appreciate any and all opinions.

OK, so you are saying to change the gear ratio. I have L60x15" which is just under 27"tall x 9.5 " tread width. I am going to buy Hoosier quick time pro tires size 11.50(10"tread width)x15 but the question would be should I buy them 28" tall or 29" tall to help the gear ratio? As far as the turbo I already have the "stealth " installed, I was wondering what the specs were on it like HP potential/what et's have been run with them. I would think at my current setting of 15psi max boost that turbo still has waaay more potential as I creep it up to 20+psi, but i do not know what to expect? Thanks again for the good info, and if anyone has more I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Id go for the tallest tire i could get. Id still go with 3.23 if i had 29". 3.08 with 27" for sure. less gear you need to leave harder but when you do the car will et better. Is the stealth a GTQ/HPQ turbine? Id run it a lot harder to see where you are. You have a tremendous advantage with your car being that its light and already setup to run fast quarter times.

Id go for the tallest tire i could get. Id still go with 3.23 if i had 29". 3.08 with 27" for sure. less gear you need to leave harder but when you do the car will et better. Is the stealth a GTQ/HPQ turbine? Id run it a lot harder to see where you are. You have a tremendous advantage with your car being that its light and already setup to run fast quarter times.

Thanks again for info, I will get the 29" tires and tune and turn up the boost. I am bummed, I just rebuilt that third member and I tried to get the closest ratio I could to the 3.42 GN ratio. as far as the turbo, I bought this turbo used from a board member and it sat in my garage for about 6 years during the engine build. I know it has the 3 bolt .63 ar on the exhaust side and it was made by precision and they called it the stealth 70mm. I bought it from a nice guy, he had a few turbo's. His name was Brian(that's all I remember) and he said it would work for my combo. He did say it is was a little more turbo than a te45a and it needed at least a 3200stall. How do I ID out the trim of the wheel as I really would like to know the specs of this turbo. Thanks again, James:)

Thanks again for info, I will get the 29" tires and tune and turn up the boost. I am bummed, I just rebuilt that third member and I tried to get the closest ratio I could to the 3.42 GN ratio. as far as the turbo, I bought this turbo used from a board member and it sat in my garage for about 6 years during the engine build. I know it has the 3 bolt .63 ar on the exhaust side and it was made by precision and they called it the stealth 70mm. I bought it from a nice guy, he had a few turbo's. His name was Brian(that's all I remember) and he said it would work for my combo. He did say it is was a little more turbo than a te45a and it needed at least a 3200stall. How do I ID out the trim of the wheel as I really would like to know the specs of this turbo. Thanks again, James:)
Post pics of the turbine and measure the inducer of the compressor. You should run with what you got in the rear for now even with the 29" tire. It wont really matter till you crank it up and start to mph around 130.

i think that turbo would do much better if you turned up the boost.
by the way that is one badd ass car.i would trade you in a heart beat.:biggrin:

Thanks alot guys! I will listen to your advice. I will remove exhaust and snap a few pics so we can figure out exactly what this turbo is. Thanks again

new tires on rear

Thanks Bison for the advice on the tires, the biggest I could fit was a quicktimepro 28x11.50-15. I did NOTHING to the tune it is still at 15psi. I only changed the tires. Car went from a previous best of 12.20 to a new best of 11.7@117. Wow I was stoked, that is a half a second faster with just a tire change! 60 foot went from a best of 1.9 to a best of 1.645. I was leaving on the transbrake at 4K and 8psi. I do not think I heated the tires enough and I had them at 13PSI. Please view the video of the Launches and critique what I need to adjust to the suspension(it has coilovers all the way around). An also Bison I have not taken any pics of the turbo yet, But I will. Thanks, James

YouTube - 63 chevyII with turbo grand national v6 motor

looks like your were still in the water doing your burnout and because of it you were spinning at the line! also you should do a longer burnout. your 60ft sucks for your et i would think you should be in the 1.55 range

Thanks Bison for the advice on the tires, the biggest I could fit was a quicktimepro 28x11.50-15. I did NOTHING to the tune it is still at 15psi. I only changed the tires. Car went from a previous best of 12.20 to a new best of 11.7@117. Wow I was stoked, that is a half a second faster with just a tire change! 60 foot went from a best of 1.9 to a best of 1.645. I was leaving on the transbrake at 4K and 8psi. I do not think I heated the tires enough and I had them at 13PSI. Please view the video of the Launches and critique what I need to adjust to the suspension(it has coilovers all the way around). An also Bison I have not taken any pics of the turbo yet, But I will. Thanks, James

YouTube - 63 chevyII with turbo grand national v6 motor
Preload the right rear more. Looks like its going right on launch. When you turn it up you are going to go 130mph very easy. That car will be a handfull if you turn it up around 30psi :biggrin:

Bison you were right about the MPH here is an update. I am at 25psi boost and I went to grudge fest at Sacramento raceway last night and my best pass was 10.5 at 130MPH that was with a 1.47 60'. You were dead on about the gearing also because I am out on the big end and it is wanting to go through the traps at just under 6k rpms. The cool thing was I made 5 passes and the mph was 129 to 130 every pass. I tried a street easy launch and the 60" was 1.8 but it still went 129MPH at 11.03.

Update

Bison you were right about the MPH here is an update. I am at 25psi boost and I went to grudge fest at Sacramento raceway last night and my best pass was 10.5 at 130MPH that was with a 1.47 60'. You were dead on about the gearing also because I am out on the big end and it is wanting to go through the traps at just under 6k rpms. The cool thing was I made 5 passes and the mph was 129 to 130 every pass. I tried a street easy launch and the 60" was 1.8 but it still went 129MPH at 11.03.

Looks like your driving over the converter a little too. Without any tire growth your showing about 9-10% slip. What valve springs are you using? What converter? At this point another converter might net you more than anything. Pulling gear will just cause you to further drive over the converter. What was your eighth mph?

I am running a 9.5" convertor. I just had it tightened up before I went to the track. A local company called D and P made it for me a few years ago. They are here in Sacramento, CA and they used to make the convertors for ATR when they were here in Roseville CA.
For the cam and springs, I have a complete ATR roller cam kit p#RP309G Duration @.050 was 212/206 and lift with my stock 1.55 rockers is .467/.453
the valve springs which came with the kit were set up at 125# closed and 325# open
I am not sure if you remember but I have a 3.50 gear ratio. My tires are hosier quick time pros 28X11.50-15. I weighed the car at the track and it weighs 3018 without me in it. (add 195 to that:eek:)
The best quarter mile of the night was 10.561 with a 1.475 sixty. At the eighth it was 6.705 and the mph was 103.642. Out of five passes my MPH were all 129 to 130 and my eighth MPH were all 102 to 103. I do not know exactly what my RPM was at the end of the track but It was just under 6k. I probably need to go again and really try and figure out what the exact rpm is at the end. What do you think this car is capable of once I get it dialed in and up the boost another five pounds to 30? Thanks again

Nice to hear the fueling issues are gone and it's running well.

I don't see much I'd change with the rear gear at 3.50 or tire height at 28" yet, but I'm with Bison in that the converter is too loose at your power level. Run 30psi through it at that shift rpm and it's going to get worse than 9-10%. I'd bet that converter is much tighter around 8k which is not practical for you. You might need to swap it with a PTC vs having them tinker with it since it's already on tweak #2 from them.

BTW, how'd you get it that light with a cage in it, damn.

I am running a 9.5" convertor. I just had it tightened up before I went to the track. A local company called D and P made it for me a few years ago. They are here in Sacramento, CA and they used to make the convertors for ATR when they were here in Roseville CA.
For the cam and springs, I have a complete ATR roller cam kit p#RP309G Duration @.050 was 212/206 and lift with my stock 1.55 rockers is .467/.453
the valve springs which came with the kit were set up at 125# closed and 325# open
I am not sure if you remember but I have a 3.50 gear ratio. My tires are hosier quick time pros 28X11.50-15. I weighed the car at the track and it weighs 3018 without me in it. (add 195 to that:eek:)
The best quarter mile of the night was 10.561 with a 1.475 sixty. At the eighth it was 6.705 and the mph was 103.642. Out of five passes my MPH were all 129 to 130 and my eighth MPH were all 102 to 103. I do not know exactly what my RPM was at the end of the track but It was just under 6k. I probably need to go again and really try and figure out what the exact rpm is at the end. What do you think this car is capable of once I get it dialed in and up the boost another five pounds to 30? Thanks again

You wont be able to pull much more mph in 3rd since you are driving over the converter and running out of valve spring. More boost will aggravate it. With a converter change, gear change and 30psi with 23-24* you should be able to run 9.40's@142-143mph. It will take a lot of fuel. Shimming the springs will help a little you should have some room up top with the low lift. The engine wants to be around 5200-5300 as long as possible with the parts you have. If you want to run low 9's id look at the 3.08 gears and PTC converter. For just easy high 9's id just use the 3.23 gears. 3.50's arent close to ideal when running over 23psi in your really light car.

Thanks GNVYUS 1 the fueling issues are good. The data log showed an injector DC in the 70's and the afr was hovering around 11.1 I only have a 4 point cage in it now. I raced at a grudge match They let me run but I was informed I need to add the additional points to the cage as well as a crossbar so the weight should go up allittle.

Bison I was shifting the car at 5800 to 5900. It seemed to be pulling all the way to there. Are you saying I should be shifting it at 5200 to 5300. Also what symptoms should I be noticing with the valve springs the way they are because I did not notice any, it pulled really smooth. If you were to change the valve springs which ones would you use. What benefit would there be to go to the roller rockers with the larger 1.66 ratio for alittle more lift to that cam? I have a really nice port job on the heads and better valves, could that be why it ran to that rpm?
Of coarse I want the 9.40's:biggrin: But what do you see as the downside to going with the 3.08's as opposed to the 3.23's Is there a down side to going with the 308.s If I was to guess I think you are going to say at lower boost levels the 3.08 are going to not work very well. Thanks guys I really appreciate the answers and I would love to see this thing crack off a 9 sec pass