What G-Body had 8.5 rear-end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My original 25K mile 86 Monte Carlo SS open rear had cast iron drums on it..

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
gee you guys are still debating it..:)

i can not verify this in every case but it seems to be that non posi rears had alum. brake drums and posi rears had steel ....why who knows but it seems to be that way??:confused:

My fathers 39k 88 Monte SS has an open rear with cast iron drums as well, so I think I would scratch the theory as well.

I got ripped

Well I have found out this past weekend someone change my original (shown on opt sheet) 8.5 3.42 rear end with a 7.5 3.08. Why I don't know but, now I know why the gasket cover was too big. I guess I'll be hunting the yards this summer for one I've gone too far not to build up the 7.5.

Hey, me again.

Hey guys

With a control arm change, an 8.5" from almost any chevelle will bolt in. Even a 12 bolt. My buddy just put a 12-bolt from a chevelle in his 80 Malibu, it needed a really offset rim, but it fits okay, looks awesome with the late model 'vette rims on it.

If you've got any g-body rear end swap questions, let me know...i've got a book on the subject.

If you're not against using ford parts, a 9" is the way to go. Lincoln versailles is right on the width, and has disc brakes to boot.

I've got a list of rears that would not need narrowing if anyone's interested.

Lee,

The Aluminum drums on non-posi cars is only a Buick thing, come to think of it, I have never seen an Original SS with aluminum drums,

Robert

lol omg, the guy that had my monte b4 me put in a 8.5 rear in her & the 350 motor too, but i was a 88 police interceptor :D ;)

Hate tpo break the news to you but there is no difference in the police 350's and the civilian 350's. In fact GM don't even have anything called a 'police intercepter". Thats a Ford thing.

Originally posted by MrNOSHappy01
lol omg, the guy that had my monte b4 me put in a 8.5 rear in her & the 350 motor too, but i was a 88 police interceptor :D ;)

I could be wrong but i think the differnce in a cop car engine and a regular production engine is that cop cars dont carry emmission controls(egr,cat,etc)

um yes there is a diff, go to any parts store & ask for motor parts for a 88 caprice & they have the police option on motor parts, they used hotter parts for the interptors. Even at my gm dealer they have it so... yeah

sorry absolutely wrong. Same emissions same engine, same everything. The only difference may be thr rear ratio, a different radiator, springs, shocks, and a few other things buts thats it.. Period. Look into it if you don't believe. Im in charge in ordering police vehicle so i know :)

dude, goto auto zone or where ever & see. I know there is a difference becuz they ask me if it the police motor the reg 350 4 every part of the motor i ask 4. & i dont think the stock 350 from a caprice had 300hp stock, my police motor did. I took the head #'s 2 the gm dealer & it came up with 285 to 300 or used on crate motor, & i know its on a crate motor cuz teh block date is 88, so HA!!!!!!!

whos feeding ya this stuff?? NO 1988 350 had 300 hp!!! LOL Good Lord..

dude, goto auto zone or where ever & see. I know there is a difference becuz they ask me if it the police motor the reg 350 4 every part of the motor i ask 4. & i dont think the stock 350 from a caprice had 300hp stock, my police motor did. I took the head #'s 2 the gm dealer & it came up with 285 to 300 or used on crate motor, & i know its on a crate motor cuz teh block date is 88, so HA!!!!!!!

looked at the info on the heads but all that means is that someone could have installed those heads on your block. Heads are interchangable. Whats the block #?

ANYWAY--- the point is mute cause it may very well be a crate motor or a changed motor that was installed in an 88 Caprice. All I *KNOW* (are you reading the word know?) that in an 88 Police Caprice its a standard civilian 5.7. PERIOD//

IN FACT...

88 was the last year for the LM1, which was a 4bbl 350. 180hp and
285lb-ft. The LM1 isn't even 300 GROSS HP....oh well.

Kevin
93 9C1

This is the story bud.. :)

its not a crate motor, & its the heads that it came with too. I think ur v6 (lol) got 2 ur head. the motor is all original, block number # 14093638. I dare ya goto an auto zone or what ever parts store u goto, & ask if they have a reg 350 from a 88 caprice & a police 350 88 carpice. this is gettin old, fast!

whos feeding ya this stuff?? NO 1988 350 had 300 hp!!! LOL Good Lord..
Bet ya feel dumb after lookin the heads up now dont ya, lol. It does have 300hp stock, so ur wrong!:p :p :p

ok u win. You have a 300 hp 350 from a 1988 Caprice.

Hold on to it Son.. Its a rare engine since Chevrolet never produced one.

Gen.I, also used on crate motors, 285 or 300 hp, 64cc
chambers, 72' center manifold bolt
angles

Read this carefully... These are standard 64cc gen 1 heads *ALSO* let me repeat cause you wern't listening.. *ALSO* used on 285 and 300 hp crate motors.. This does NOT mean you have a 300 hp engine!LOLOL
unless you have a crate engine.. oops. you said it is not. So its a 180 hp 350 out of a Caprice. Same hp that the 305 in your SS stock.
Stick around and learn something. This board has some smart people on it.. Don't listen the slug at Autozone listen to people who know..
Relax.. take a breath.. and calm down.. and learn something here..

Bet ya feel dumb after lookin the heads up now dont ya, lol. It does have 300hp stock, so ur wrong!:p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.