What did i do to my car??

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
well this isnt about my buick but about my 95 dodge neon beater...

well i just took out the GN today and was used to getting some speed so i was beating on the neon a lil... when i switched gears from 1st to 2nd.... it is a stick... i kinda dumped the clutch and it responded by acting like it was in neutral and wouldnt speed up so i put it into 3rd and then it got stuck there...

shifter wont move side to side but only up and down and no matter where it goes it stays in 3rd!... no neutral... no 4th... so gay

so my question is... did i fry up the trans or somewhere in the shifter linkage somewhere?

the shifter connects to the trans via 2 metal cables/pipes and i disconnect one from the trans and tried to move the pivot on the trans and it is frozen... if you can unders tand what i mean... well did i kill my car for good now? it is really hard to start out in 3rd all the time

thanks

anyone have any possible idea on the damage done?

sucks not having a car to drive and not knowing what to do

Could be lots of stuff. If you've already checked the linkage and it seems connected, it sounds like something internal in the gearbox, especially if the clutch still feels normal when you depress it.. Probably have to pull the tranny out to fix.

There's other stuff you can check, but if you aren't comfortable pulling it apart, it's probably best to take it to the mechanic for an estimate, and chalk this up to another learning experience in your life. Stuff breaks. Stuff is more likely to break if you beat on it.

I've broken stuff too.. That's how I learned to fix things. I can fix a lot of stuff now.. :) It happens.

Good luck

Billy

yeah the clutch feels alright... it just wont shift out of 3rd... shifter handle will move from 3rd... to neutral... to 4th but wont go side to side at all...

ah well now i have no car... wont bother fixing this one since it was the winter 500$ beater but still sucks not having a car to drive around now!

Probably the linkage. I know it's not the same kind of car, but I had a Saab years ago that didn't take well to power shifting, if you tried to slam it into gear it had a plastic bushing that would break rendering it like your car. :eek:

hmm and this plastic piece was located in the linkage somewhere?

any way to check that out? i really need a car to drive and would like to know how to fix it... i will try to pull off the linkage again and double check everythinh... where was your problem located on the ca r? right at the shifter? near the trans? thanks

It was located at the base of the shifter, but I'm sure Saabs are different. Take the shifter boot off and see what's going on underneath.