What can Stock rods Handle!!!!!

In my opinion stock polished rods and good bolts will take you to your goal, but why risk it when the good forged rods are only $400.00? Especially if the motor isn't built yet.

Stock Rods have been proven to go that fast, but........

You are using rods that are now 20 years old and have seen some (or quite a bit) of stress

The cost of reconditioning, bushing, and ARP bolts is about the same as a new set of forged units at the currrent prices.

Mike

plus if you make the pistin pin full floating in the rod the rod will fail.

It can be done, and it has been done. The "Buick Power" book even provides instructions on how to do this, using the Chevy sized pins, with a bushing installed in the rod. Of course, that was with new rods, not rods with many hard miles. As Mike pointed out, new rods for the Buick V6 are not that easy to find. "Buick Power" also recommends polishing the rods, as well X-raying them. And by the time you do all THAT, you've got a lot of money in a set of cast rods.

Race Jace said:

yes it has been done, I should reword the statment to;

Making a stock rod full floating makes the stock rod more prone to failure than if you would have left it press fit.

Jace, I think your right if you open up the rod and bush it for the stock .940 pin but if you just bush it down to the .927 small chevy size that seems to work pretty good and be reliable. Of course then you are into custom pistons as well.
Mike

Many GN's have broken into the 9's with stock rods, detonation and age are a killer here.

At $450 you now have a better alternative in the K1 forged rods. It's not worth risking it anymore especially at that price. Call Mike up at FTS.

Unfortunately for me, I am testing the waters as they were not out 4 months ago when I did my rebuild. :frown:

DR.BOOSTER said:
Many GN's have broken into the 9's with stock rods, detonation and age are a killer here.

At $450 you now have a better alternative in the K1 forged rods. It's not worth risking it anymore especially at that price. Call Mike up at FTS.

Unfortunately for me, I am testing the waters as they were not out 4 months ago when I did my rebuild. :frown:

Just for the record, the K1 rods are a fully machined billet rod which is better than a forging.

DR.BOOSTER said:

Me too, and as much stuff as I got from Mike, the rods would have just been a dent - hopw my old rods don't dent my fresh engine :p

I run a stock rod full floating. Its a .927 pin with custom pistons in a 4.1l motor. Runs high tens on pump gas. At the time it's what i had to work with. But today i would buy an aftermarket rod. They are lighter and far stronger. Having the rods bushed for 300.00 saves you 150.00, til that rods fails and takes out the hole motor.