What can I expect?

Wld87GN

So I got a set of ported heads and I am getting ready to install them in the next week. I decided to have them cleaned and prepped before putting them on. But I am wondering if I am getting myself too excited about the difference the car is going to be just from the heads.

The heads are ported similar to Champion numbers, larger valves, hi compression springs for roller cam, and 1.65 roller rockers

They will be replacing a set of stock heads with upgraded springs.
Comp cams 206 I think (roller)
new ported intake
6262 turbo
60# injectors
Fuel pump
3" downtube
RJC boost controller
SLIC GN1 intercooler
Alky injection currently set at 24#
3000rpm Precision stall converter
TT chip

What are your thoughts?

The ported heads will give you a lot of low end power you did not have before. That you will feel in the seat of the car.

You can max out your turbo now but you will do so by turning up the boost to 30 plus psi. Iron heads work but they only flow so much on the exhaust side and that is why you need to run the boost numbers to get the power out of the motor. The aluminum heads flow much better on the exhaust side but that is another story.

As far as springs go, don't get crazy with a bunch of seat pressure on the valves you don't need it. I personally like the Comp bee hive springs with 170 pounds of seat pressure on them. I have gone to 3mm valves and it works. It's lighter weight which can only help. It's about stability in the valve train for the rpms we run on these cars.

You will also have an awesome third gear pull that was not there before. Your tune may want some more fuel in the lower rpm range now as well. Keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the reply Reggie. Since everything else is already done, I am guessing this will be a head swap and tune...

What are your thoughts?
interested in your thoughts after the swap.looking at your combo the stock heads would hold the combo back if your pushing it and doing ported heads will allow for a much faster car.if you run low boost with your combo and put on a set of heads and still run lower boost numbers I don't think you would be impressed at all at least I have never been.24psi on a 62 with an iron head is light inmo and you will need to make more boost to really wake the car up.

interested in your thoughts after the swap.looking at your combo the stock heads would hold the combo back if your pushing it and doing ported heads will allow for a much faster car.if you run low boost with your combo and put on a set of heads and still run lower boost numbers I don't think you would be impressed at all at least I have never been.24psi on a 62 with an iron head is light inmo and you will need to make more boost to really wake the car up.

Well if I run more boost and this wakes up even more and I get more low end power this will be a beast. IMO it pulls hard now, I don't think it would beat my Z06, but it's fast. I am hopeful that the results match what I am realistically hoping for.

Well if I run more boost and this wakes up even more and I get more low end power this will be a beast. IMO it pulls hard now, I don't think it would beat my Z06, but it's fast. I am hopeful that the results match what I am realistically hoping for.

It will be a handful on the street, especially trying to go WOT. Unlike your Z06 there's no traction control, no active stabilty control, abs brakes etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed once you get it tuned in.

Turn the boost down. You won't have any traction even at 17 psi. I went from bowl ported irons to cast GN1's, with 10 less psi boost, it ran the same 125+ mph trap speed, all else pretty much equal except a stroker setup.

Turn the boost down. You won't have any traction even at 17 psi. I went from bowl ported irons to cast GN1's, with 10 less psi boost, it ran the same 125+ mph trap speed, all else pretty much equal except a stroker setup. When I went from stock to bowl ported irons, it picked up a bunch or power, like 12.0 car to a 10.8 car easily.

Keep the timing low at 18/17 and keep the boost at 24#...25+ # of boost I'd use a different fuel. Not saying ya couldn't go higher with alky but it may be inconsistent with knock above 24#. Mid to low 11's or faster if you can get it to 60' really well.