What can I do to fight a speeding ticket?

When I became radar certified, I was taken out in a patrol car with a radar unit and I had to know the speed of the car within 3mph without looking at the radar screen. Atleast that's how NJ works. After awhile of doing radar, you know how fast a car is traveling without looking at the radar screen.

How close are the vehicles before you got the 3 MPH error consistanly better than 50% and at what speed? Come on you are asking us to believe somehting I don't believe anyone can do. I have been building and racing vehicles for 30 years, drag racing, road racing and roundy-round racing and have over 2 million miles of professional driving experience. I judge distance very well also. I don't believe for one minute you can "guess" within 3 MPH the speed of a vehicle coming directly at you. Until that vehicle is within a 100 yards you have no idea if that vehicle is doing 45 or 65. From an angle yes I would believe someone with experience can pretty accurately judge the speed but from straight on, no way and the difference between 63 and 60, not.

Mikey

Man up and pay the ticket.. You WERE speeding right?

Or, just be like the rest of society today and try to take no responsibility for your actions..

Man up and pay the ticket.. You WERE speeding right?

Or, just be like the rest of society today and try to take no responsibility for your actions..

Just like the OD Cop that gets pulled over for speeding right:rolleyes:
They man up and show their Id and walk away. His/Her Ins. isn’t going up and their not getting points on their license. :mad:

But you want a civilian to just lie down.:confused:

Just like the OD Cop that gets pulled over for speeding right:rolleyes:
They man up and show their Id and walk away. His/Her Ins. isn’t going up and their not getting points on their license. :mad:

But you want a civilian to just lie down.:confused:

lol...

How close are the vehicles before you got the 3 MPH error consistanly better than 50% and at what speed? Come on you are asking us to believe somehting I don't believe anyone can do. I have been building and racing vehicles for 30 years, drag racing, road racing and roundy-round racing and have over 2 million miles of professional driving experience. I judge distance very well also. I don't believe for one minute you can "guess" within 3 MPH the speed of a vehicle coming directly at you. Until that vehicle is within a 100 yards you have no idea if that vehicle is doing 45 or 65. From an angle yes I would believe someone with experience can pretty accurately judge the speed but from straight on, no way and the difference between 63 and 60, not.

Mikey

I would have to disagree with on that. The sound of the dopplar radar in conjunction with visually observing the vehicle is really not that difficult to estimate a speed within a few MPH. If you ran radar for hundreds if not thousands of hours over many years you would beable to decifer the almost exact speed of an approaching vehicle as well. Like anything, it takes practice.

Just like when watch a car race down the 1/4 mile. After years of watching drag racing you can tell almost exactly how fast a car is within .10's of a second. No difference really.

I would have to disagree with on that. The sound of the dopplar radar in conjunction with visually observing the vehicle is really not that difficult to estimate a speed within a few MPH. If you ran radar for hundreds if not thousands of hours over many years you would beable to decifer the almost exact speed of an approaching vehicle as well. Like anything, it takes practice.

Just like when watch a car race down the 1/4 mile. After years of watching drag racing you can tell almost exactly how fast a car is within .10's of a second. No difference really.

At the drags you know the exact distance before you make the judgement and there I agree, I would be able to judge "time" based on my experience (even my 14 year old son is getting pretty good to within 1/2 second). But a vehicle coming directly at you, it is not possible to judge its "speed" based on observation until that vehicle is really close (under 100-125 yards).

You made a statement that the officer also has the sound of the radar beeping/pinging and that would be the givaway once you work with it long enough. But to guess on your own, I won't believe anyone is capable of consistantly and accurately judging speed. But them we all have our opinions.

I have a customer who is a Florida State Trooper and has been begging to drive my T. I'll discuss this with him. I'm not sure I want him driving my T though.

Mikey

At the drags you know the exact distance before you make the judgement and there I agree, I would be able to judge "time" based on my experience (even my 14 year old son is getting pretty good to within 1/2 second). But a vehicle coming directly at you, it is not possible to judge its "speed" based on observation until that vehicle is really close (under 100-125 yards).

You made a statement that the officer also has the sound of the radar beeping/pinging and that would be the givaway once you work with it long enough. But to guess on your own, I won't believe anyone is capable of consistantly and accurately judging speed. But them we all have our opinions.

I have a customer who is a Florida State Trooper and has been begging to drive my T. I'll discuss this with him. I'm not sure I want him driving my T though.

Mikey

I hear what your saying as far as judgement of the exact speed at the race track is as it is a predetermined distance.

But the 1/4 car speed is still something your mind recognizes thru your eyes and ears after watching cars race time after time. The doppler sound that a radar makes increases its pitch as the radar bounces off the vehicle at a given distance measured by the internal processors of the radar unit. The slower the car is traveling the lower pitched the sound will be as the radar is bounching off the car back to the antenna at a slower rate vs. a higher pitch when the signal reaches the antenna at a faster rate. This also depending on whether or not the radar is in moving or stationary mode. So your mind will work with your ears and recognize a speed based on the level of pitch the radar is making. The pitch is quite accurate time after time.

Trust me, after a while you would beable to guess someones speed by the doppler pitch alone without even looking at the car. Of course you would look at it and the speed in the window speed on the unit and a visual of the car to confirm what your ear is hearing. I guess it's just one of those things you would have to try to understand what I mean. In theory it is a little hard to swollow I guess. This of course when using same lane technology with a fastest target accusition speed option. Which is not available on all radar units.

The band of the radar is also a factor. My unit is KA band and have picked up targets 5 miles away before I could even see them. You know the vehicle is comming because the radar is bounching off the car but you cant actually see it till it gets within a couple of miles.

Tell him you will clock him with his own radar while he drives your T...:biggrin: