What cam should i use

reddog3.8

I am having my motor built now, and it is time to pick a cam, I went with the stroker bottom end and I have ported iron heads with intake. I did not buy a turbo yet and my goals are to have a nice street car not a monster. Is the roller set up worth the extra money or will I still make plenty of power with the flat tapped?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Roller is the way to go. Get something in the 212 range

You'll definitely make more power with an engine that stays in one piece than one that's full of ground up flat tappet cam lobes.

I'd go smaller than than with a roller. Unless you're raising your static compression a point or two, a big ass cam won't do anything but bleed off cylinder pressure and lower your VE.

Thanks sounds like I am saving up for a roller set up

The iron heads are going to be your limiting factor for possible hp. Since your looking for more of a street motor you may want to stay on "smaller" size. Bison can design specs for that combo that will keep the rpms down and make a ton of power early. Make sure you measure for correct push rod length and not just use a standard size.

Roller! Flat tappet's for women and children..... IMO!

Plenty of people use a flat tappet cam. Is it the best choice? Depends on your tolerance for clicky lifters and power goals. Not knowing how to break in a flat tappet cam or make it live is for women and children.

I've run a flat tappet for years with noo issues. I would do it again if I was on a budget

I wonder if the tie bars on aftermarket roller lifters wear out in 20k miles or so? It seems like a lot of people have noisy roller lifters and I've seen at least a few mention the tie bars being loose after some amount of use. Perhaps the OEM style roller lifter conversion is better for cars that will be driven a fair amount? That is, if the OEM style lifters can survive against the cam profile. This is a bit of early speculation without a whole lot of information so please don't draw conclusions just yet.

Paul Lohr

Flat tappet's fine. Gone as fast as 9.3's @ 145 with it. Don't see nothing wrong with it! "IJS"