What are the PSI limits of C16

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
I think its somwhere along the 36-44psi depending on compression (9.0-8.0:1). What is the most boost any ony has ran on C16? I will try to find this on VPs site also.

Thanks,

Jason

Just curious, or are you planning big things with your T72? :)

As with any fuel, it depends on the WOT timing *. Lower timing can take higher boost. I have never run C16, but I have run 29psi on 100 unleaded, so it is up there!

I don't know the answer to your question, but what I do know is Gene Fleury ran 9.9's with C16 with 30psi of boost and in the 28* timing range. If its good enough for him, its good enough for me. :)

If you run 25 psi on race gas you dont have to worry about headgaskets do you?

I'm kinda scared to go past 20

Plenty of head gaskets are lost at the track, where most folks run race gas.

In life, there are no guarantees...

:rolleyes:

I've heard of guys running 40+ psi on C16. I've personally run 27 psi on it.

I have ran up to 30+ psi(30 psi gage pegged!:eek: :D ) If the fuel is there and the tune is right, you could probably run 40 psi or more. However, depending on what turbo you are running, it is probably not efficient above 35 psi.

Boost doesn't have a lot to do with the octane of the fuel......my car may make 500 hp at 20 lbs boost and you may need 25 lbs boost to make the same power......so, the important thing is do you have enough octane, fuel volume, and the right timing to support the power you are trying to make.....

guess wrong, and you detonate, and that can happen at any boost level

jus because you have C16 doesn't mean you can run "X" amount of boost.....all depends on the combo & tune

I have ran 30lbs on C16 with a good tune. Smoked my bearings, without a girdle I would not go that high. Yes some have done it, some live, some explode. :p :p

If you are going to run C16 at 30 plus PSI, The Engine Girdle will help from having the lower end flex and smoking the bearings, the power plate IMO will help making sure at these levels that #6 does not lean out and pop a head-gasket. Turbotwister a friend of mine blew a head-gasket a 30PSI with a good tune on C16 and steel head-gaskets. :eek:

Therefore you will need a awesome tune and some goodies to hold it together. Otherwise bring a shovel to the track. :D :D

It is all in the tune. I had a poor tune, and detonated using C16 and 23 lbs of boost and lost a headgasket.:(

if its capable of running that high of boost don't you think people using c16 and only running 20# of boost are being robed, not only of their money but also power.

If you think about putting 100 octane in your lawnmower (i have tryed this) its not going to help a thing, infact it hurt. I never took chemistry to know exactly why that is, but i'm guessing it doesnt' burn as effeciently unless its put under extreme pressure.

I've noticed a difference running 110 compared to 91 at 10# of boost, the 110 slows it down a bit (butt dyno'd)

Higher octane usually means higher burn rate.

With too much octane the engine isn't getting as much power. It all depends on the engine though

Honestly?

It's a bogus question. Boost pressure is not really the issue here: cylinder pressure is the thing to be concerned about. I don't mean "compression tests" which is what most people think cylinder pressure is. I am referring to the pressure that exists in the cylinder throughout the combustion process. Things like cam selection, timing, octane, and a few other factors have direct effects on cylinder pressure. Peak cylinder pressure is very handy to know from a tuning perspective, as it will reveal the limitations of a particular combination.

I've run C-16 in my Buick exclusively for years (even for street driving) and usd it from 12 to 33 PSI.

9.86 E.T and 30 psi. 9441 head gaskets, iron heads and studs 26 degrees of advance.

As said above your tune has to be right on.

?????????

Originally posted by 77tech9
If you run 25 psi on race gas you dont have to worry about headgaskets do you?

I'm kinda scared to go past 20

Good thinking! If you are using that 92 Thrasher that's in your sig, you don't have the correct fueling for high boost, hi octane fuel. I'd suggest a race chip, or a FAST!!!:D :D

Headgaskets are a "worry" at any boost if the tuneup is fubar...:eek: