what are the best spark plug wires?

Yah's 87

been finding 10mm sets for $100 and wonder if they are worth purchasing in a mostly stock daily drver 87 BGN?

been finding 10mm sets for $100 and wonder if they are worth purchasing in a mostly stock daily drver 87 BGN?

The Autozone Bosch premium wire set part # 09718 cost less than $30.00 with a lifetime warranty and would be a good choice for your needs.

They are 8mm gray wires with black boots.

The next would be the MSD super conductor custom wire set with 8.5mm wires with gray boots. MSD only offers them with red wires now but you can find them custom made by some sellers with black wires and boots but will cost you a lot more for them.

Last edited:
Tried the cheap ones, didnt like them. Now I have Taylor 10.4mm. Seem big, but they are nice, and I will never say I should have bought the bigger ones.

How about them nology hot wire?
I see you joined today , WELCOME to the site . Read what the guys here are running but the " Russ Merritt " is , in my book , the best out there and I think you can get those at RJC or one of our vendors , again Welcome and happy boosting . Keith

Taylor 10.4 MM. You'll never say I should have bought bigger wires, that's for sure.

Nope.

Only if you're bench racing a Civic.

Nology ... 42 rwhp on a 900 + rwhp 4.6DOHC Twin Turbo Modular Ford ... was enough to put him over 1000 ftlbs trq .. they are pricey and they need to be used with certain plugs to get the most out of them .. what I cant recall was the wire that was on there prior to the Nology .. have to go look at some old pics I have ..

They also didn't last long in this application ... If they had heat shields on them maybe that could have been extended .. Don't know ..

Tried these on a "HOT IGNITION" system .. and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that .. its not a spark .. its a mini explosion .

Never tried them on a GN .. maybe this spring :)

Still think the MSD 8.5 in black is all anyone on a GN needs :)

I ran the $25 Advance wires for years and no issues. Swapped them out ever 6 months or so. Got 8mm spiral core Accels now. Guy at local swap meet has hundreds of good wires in seal bags but damaged boxes $25. I put Extreme 9000 on sons firebird $25

Nology ... 42 rwhp on a 900 + rwhp 4.6DOHC Twin Turbo Modular Ford ... was enough to put him over 1000 ftlbs trq .. they are pricey and they need to be used with certain plugs to get the most out of them .. what I cant recall was the wire that was on there prior to the Nology .. have to go look at some old pics I have ..

I think there was other problems with the existing wires. We put new Moroso Ultra 40s on a BBC Super stock engine that made 730 HP and put it on the engine dyno. We made 2 pulls and put the Nology wires on and made a couple pulls and lost 5-7 HP. We put the Moroso back on and HP came back. We sent the Nology wires to the flea market :)

Anyone have any experience with the old ATR spark plug wires that I believe I had heard said "turbo" on the wires? I picked up a box of misc parts about a month ago for $40 for the entire box of odds and ends locally and it had a brand new set of plug wires in it. I didn't see any manf markings, but they do have TURBO on each wire. Through a little digging I thought I had found a thread that stated these were ATR wires. I didn't take them all out and really inspect them as I don't need them right now. Just curious...like a cat.

They also didn't last long in this application ... If they had heat shields on them maybe that could have been extended .. Don't know ..

That alone would eliminate me. I'm not going to put a part on my car that eats itself when there's less expensive wires out there that will last for years. There's enough screwy things going on with a hotrod to voluntarily pay extra for an additional quick.

That alone would eliminate me. I'm not going to put a part on my car that eats itself when there's less expensive wires out there that will last for years. There's enough screwy things going on with a hotrod to voluntarily pay extra for an additional quick.

True .. but some actually PUSH their cars :)

You want a nice fit?
You want a wire that will last?
You want a wire that will deliver under
High HP loads consistantly ?

All comes at a price

I push everything I own. I just like to have solved problems not pay extra for things that die early.

I have that entire list covered... I make my own wires out of MSD (and sometimes Taylor) parts. :) The set of my car is over a decade old and still can set fire to gasoline no problem. :)

I ran low 10s on cheap stock replacement wires from oreillys. $18 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Half a dozen wire coat hangers.

If you go "coil on plug" you might get by with just three. :D