Weird overheating problem

Quick89

TTA with fan on high (heater) suddenly blows cold air and engine temp rises sharply to around 230 then heat comes back on and the temp drops to 160, this happened about 20 times on the way back from the track today. High temp fan was activated with the high temp, so this was real. If the thermostat was sticking intermittently would you lose heater core flow?

I don't think you would. I've noticed lately on my car that the thermostat won't open at first until 195 degrees and I have the 160 in it. When this happens I still have heat.

Then after it opens the first time after its cold it will fluctuate between 160-180??

Sounds like the water stops circulating for some reason :confused: If the thermostat is sticking, you should still have hot water at the heater I would think. Maybe the impeller is coming loose on the water pump?

have u checked the water?? im not making fun of u one of our customers came in and his did the same thing. t needed water. lol. but if u have a bare spot in the gauge wire or sending unit line (manual gauge) it will do that as well.

Hi,
You are correct, this is unusual.The first thing that comes to mind is one you are not gonna want to hear, but due to the erratic nature of this beast, I must mention it, anyway. Are you CERTAIN you have a full load of coolant? Low coolant does nutty things to a motor. If that is ok,then I would again look at the waterpump or thermostat.When filling these cars, put the heater on, so the control valve is open.Also, make sure you have the correct waterpump, as I think these impellers are backwards in their rotating direction. Last, but by no means least, a top quality thermostat is vitally important,installed correctly. Given your symptoms, there should be other problems evident, besides just no heat once in a while, etc. Let us know.