weird oil pressure?

typetmkp

ok i was out with the car, stoped to pick up alky from a local store all was fine when i returned 20 psi oil pressure at idle hot. as i made my way to the freeway all operation was normal. when i entered the freeway i noticed the oil pressure was dropping. I pulled over and still had 20 oil pressure idle??? no engine knock or abnorm sounds. i decided to continue to the next exit and regroup. I pulled out the relief spring and lost prime. I towed it home. I removed the cam sensor the next day to prime and 70 psi with a drill cold????? put all back together and started it, 70 psi idle and it sunk to 22 hot. When i rev the motor in park oil pressure will start climing and then sink back down never sinking below 20psi hot. any thoughts on possible oil pressure issue? list of stuff to check? oil pick up? oil filter? bearing issue? help please.

Weird to be that high at idle then that low with rpm. What oil are you running, mileage on engine, any blown headgaskets without cleaning out the oil pan/ pick up? 20psi idle is normal. 25psi at 3500 is low.

Yes it is weird that is why I am fishing for answers. 10w 30 oil, 8,000 miles ish on the motor, no blown gaskets, I was hoping that I could have some ideas to start so im not just ripping thing apart.

Why 10w30? Mechanical gauge or electric? Did you use Locktite on the pick up bolts, could be loose. Good luck.

Bryan

sender ok mech guage. i cut open the filter no sign of bearing material or metal. guess i drop the pan and check that the pick up is tight. at cold idle pressure 60 plus psi, drops to 20 warm. If i bring the rpm up in park no load the oil pressure will come up 10psi per 1000 and then slowly fade down to 20. ???? help please.

y not 10w 30? pick up bolt not sure my engine builder did that, they could not have though.

ok i was out with the car, stoped to pick up alky from a local store all was fine when i returned 20 psi oil pressure at idle hot. as i made my way to the freeway all operation was normal. when i entered the freeway i noticed the oil pressure was dropping. I pulled over and still had 20 oil pressure idle??? no engine knock or abnorm sounds. i decided to continue to the next exit and regroup. I pulled out the relief spring and lost prime. I towed it home. I removed the cam sensor the next day to prime and 70 psi with a drill cold????? put all back together and started it, 70 psi idle and it sunk to 22 hot. When i rev the motor in park oil pressure will start climing and then sink back down never sinking below 20psi hot. any thoughts on possible oil pressure issue? list of stuff to check? oil pick up? oil filter? bearing issue? help please.

20 PSI hot idle is fine but if it is not coming up with rpms, it sounds like a an internal leak like an oil galley plug.

i run 20/50 with some zddp 10/30 is too thin imo
also when was the last time you changed the oil? oil does loose viscosity over a certain period of time and use..become almost watery like

It does come up with rpm however, however it does not maintain pressure it slowly fades down even though the rpm remains steady. I have a host of stuff to check now just need some time. You all will be the second to know when i find or dont find something! Thank for the help any other ideas keep em coming.

It does come up with rpm however, however it does not maintain pressure it slowly fades down even though the rpm remains steady. I have a host of stuff to check now just need some time. You all will be the second to know when i find or dont find something! Thank for the help any other ideas keep em coming.
it aint coming up right
i think the pan should come off for an inspection - that will let ya see a galley plug or a loose pick-up.

i run 20/50 with some zddp 10/30 is too thin imo
also when was the last time you changed the oil? oil does loose viscosity over a certain period of time and use..become almost watery like

You only need enough oil pressure, regardless of viscosity. If you need 20w/50 for good pressure, there's probably a clearance issue that's being covered up. If you only need 10w/30, then the extra pressure from running a thicker oil heats the oil as it bypasses and horsepower is lost in turning the oil pump harder. Flow at cold start isn't as good either with heavier oils unless you use the wide viscosity's like 0w/40 or something, but the viscosity range narrows over time as the polymers don't straighten out and coil back up from multiple heat cycles.

ok fellas here is the deal, i dropped the pan and found stuff on the screen and a ton more in the pan. the debris was plastic/ rubber and after some thinking and serching found that my engine builder installed the timing chain tensioner on a double roller chain which i believe is a no no? i now have the front cover off to inspect everything and am wondering how much slack or deflection in the chain is ok? i just want to make sure that the chain has not streched. a stupid mistake is not worth killig this motor it is so close and was going like crazy before this. please chim in with any info asap. thanks.

is it a no no to install chain tensioner with double roller chain?? cus i know my engine builder did install one with mine!

From what i am told, and the searching i have done. Maybe somebody can chime in here how many miles on the motor? It is easy enough to drop the pan and check for chunks! Better than a new motor.