Weiand carb intake to EFI conversion

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I'm converting this intake to efi and figured I would show some pics for everyong. It's a weiand 7542 single plane intake for a buick v6. I didn't really think much about taking pics until after I welded the injector bungs in. Usually used intakes don't weld very well because they normally have oil and fuel soaked into them. This one turned out decent compared to most, but I fought a lot of porosity.

Raw intake and fuel rails. These fuel rails were made to fit an 86-87 intake, but the injector bung spacing on the carb intake works out better with different spacing.
CIMG0687.jpg

Injector bungs welded in and corresponding fuel rails. The rails are threaded for -8 o-ring fittings on the ends. The Injector bungs are centered on the intake openings. I will go back and remachine the bung ID's and heights now after welding.
CIMG0702.jpg

CIMG0703.jpg

After machining the bungs, all that left are some fuel rail mounts.

The next step is equalizing the injector bung height and then sizing the ID. Followed by a small chamfer to help get the o-ring into the bore without cutting it.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

With dummy injectors in place to locate the fuel rails I measured for mounts.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Now I just have to weld the fuel rail mounts in and grind the rest of the injector bung that hangs down into the intake runner.

is that for stock style heads on a production block? killer work either way, i wonder what the airflow distribution would be on a setup like that with a 90 degree elbow

Super nice work, I have the same manifold, Can't believe you did that too it, lol Nah it looks great! I'll be looking forward to see how it performs.

WarWagon - I'm not sure why I didn't see your reply until now. This intake isn't mine, I'm fixing it up for another member here. He is converting a carb turbo car to efi.

This intake is getting a mustang 75mm throttle body and sheetmetal plenum. I cut out the parts for the plenum today. I have to modfiy the throttle linkage for a new cable and make a throttle cable braket and then weld it all up.

Throttlebody and plenum parts.
IMG_0256.jpg

Plenum mockup.
IMG_0257.jpg

Air temp sensor and vacuum distribution block. This will be welded onto the side and the holes drilled through.
IMG_0258.jpg

WarWagon - I'm not sure why I didn't see your reply until now. This intake isn't mine, I'm fixing it up for another member here. He is converting a carb turbo car to efi.

Thanks, Yeah I know the guy (BeanSS) He's been talking about wanting to do it for some time.

I see KendallF Has one made up too.
Nice stuff Guys.

Thanks, Yeah I know the guy (BeanSS) He's been talking about wanting to do it for some time.

I see KendallF Has one made up too.
Nice stuff Guys.

I thought it was funny that MeanMike's doing one of these; I don't know how many are kicking around. I picked up mine in some sort of parts swap years ago, and converted it sometime in 2004-5, I think. It has a straighter runner than a stock intake, and I think it should do fairly well with a bit of plenum volume (thus the 1" spacer on my welded doghouse).

I like the start of your sheet metal plenum, Mike. The Mustang based TBs are cheap and flow nicely. You going to machine an adapter to use a GM stepper IAC on it? (Don't know if it'll clear the hood, anyway..)

I'm just making a block off plate for the IAC for now. If it needs an IAC down the road, accufab and a few others already make adapters to put the GM iac on a Ford throttle body. I think it would take decent sized spacer to fit the IAC and thermostat housing. The throttle body will be positioned so that the IAC is on the bottom of the throttle body, throttle linkage on the passenger side.
As for hood clearance, this setup is much lower than my 86 87 intake with spacer and precision plenum.

im still intersted in the airflow dist.

anythoughts?

Without a flow bench, all I can do is guess. But if I had to guess, I would think that it's better than a stock intake for two reasons. The plenum volume is greater and the runner entrances in the plenum are more pronounced.

This elbow and throttle body arangement is typical for a lot of the 2000hp boosted sbc,sbf combinations that I've seen on the dyno and they didn't have any major egt variations that waranted individual cylinder corrections. I will say that when the elbow comes from the side, there seems to be issues with lean cylinders on the outside of the curve. But usually you can put a divider in the elbow on that arangement and cure most of the problem.

Without a flow bench, all I can do is guess. But if I had to guess, I would think that it's better than a stock intake for two reasons. The plenum volume is greater and the runner entrances in the plenum are more pronounced.

This elbow and throttle body arangement is typical for a lot of the 2000hp boosted sbc,sbf combinations that I've seen on the dyno and they didn't have any major egt variations that waranted individual cylinder corrections. I will say that when the elbow comes from the side, there seems to be issues with lean cylinders on the outside of the curve. But usually you can put a divider in the elbow on that arangement and cure most of the problem.

yea would guess that it has to flow better than a stock 86-87 manifold with a powerplate, i was debating on doing this to my 87 regal just to see a difference in HP...if any

I finished welding the elbow. Turns out, that it's the same height as my stock intake and precision elbow. This elbow puts the throttle body straight out also, not angled up like the stocker, so it should allow some more room. And this throttle body doesn't have a vacuum block on top.

I wanted to do one of these for myself and now that I see this one, I really want to do it.

I just have to get the thottle cable setup and the vacuum block on and this one is done.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

All done.
The stock throttle cable can't be used because the throttle lever ends up on the other side of the motor. This is a universal cut to length cable from Lokar. I also had to modify the bracket on the throttlebody itself. This is the same setup (with a 90mm tb) I used to build for 2000hp turbo small block fords at my old job.
CIMG0715.jpg

CIMG0716.jpg

CIMG0717.jpg

CIMG0719.jpg

killer work! im really interested to see what itll do. ive been looking to get out of the "stock plenum/powerplate" mindset for a while just cause it looks restrictive and there could be power to be had. possibly do somthing like what youve made, only for a 86-87