Wax?

Jack Russo

Hey guys, quick opinion poll:
I've always used meguiar's carnuaba wax on my 1987 GN. It still hast has the original lacquer paint and it's real nice shape and still shines (no crows feet). I was thinking of trying the meguiar's black paste wax.

Has anyone found the wax he (or she) likes the best on the original Lacquer paint??
Thinking about trying something new!
Thanks
Jack

Zaino makes a sealant product specifically for single-stage paint if you really want to try something different. There are a lot of different factors to consider.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking for protection, durability and a bright shine you're better off switching to a sealant. I like Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Optimum Opti-Coat if you want to get really exotic. If going after the warm looks of a good wax, Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or Zymol is hard to beat but can be pricey compared to the over the counter stuff.

I doubt you will find much difference between Meguiars or Mothers. They're pretty much on the same level but between the two I prefer Meguiars. Zaino is nice but involves multiple application steps if you want to do it right. Generally speaking, advances in technology has lead to Sealants taking over the market in favor of wax.

Doesnt work for me either.
Has anyone used Turtle Wax Black box on the Lacquer? My car still shines like new with no swirl marks. So i really dont want to start using a clay bar and things like that. Just a something to keep it shining. I was thinking of trying Zymol.

pinnacle liquid souvern or dodo juice purple haze.. those two look killer on black

I am not a professional detailer by ANY means. I am just a car lover who actually enjoys cleaning and waxing my ride. What I keep learning is that most waxes/sealants vary with kinds of paints and colors. The majority of the newer products are all pretty good in general. I did use Zaino for about 4-5 years and was happy with the results. Because of the different layers (time consuming), the expiration date of the product and because I had this dingle berry crap fall on my hood and basically etch a nice blotchy mark in it, I was looking to try something new. I am not bashing Zaino, as it is really good stuff, just was looking for a change.
On to Blackfire Wet Diamond. I was kind of expecting a miracle after reading about it. I will say that I was very impressed. My paint is crap. I would not be surprised if it was a $99 Maaco job (I bought it like that many years ago). It came out really good. There are some sections, in the right light, that that it looks like a new paint job. Really wet. When I first sealed it I put the car cover on for a couple of days. I guess it takes about 8 hours to fully cure. I took the cover off to mess round with the car and then I put it back in the garage and put the cover on and it kept sliding off. Like I was putting it on in a hurricane or something, super slippery. Never had that happen before, hence my post. I also could not find my dingle berry splotch anymore on the car. Very impressed. The only little negative is that it leaves a little dust when you wipe it off.

I got sick of the Zaino "process" as well and tried a bunch of different products along the way. What I found is that you don't necessarily have to follow the "instructions" for using Zaino to a T to get great results. I stopped using their ZFX accelerator or whatever it was called, just mix up 50/50 Z5 and Z2 and apply that directly to my car. Done. In between coats, I apply some detail spray (whatever I have on hand). On my daily driver Jeep, I use a coat of Zaino All-In-One to start every year, and then Z5, Z2, or the mix of both following. It's very durable, so you don't have to apply very many coats.
The paint on my Corvette is 100x nicer than my GN, and so I just use Blackfire Wet Diamond exclusively on that. Their detail spray is a bit pricey, so again I just use whatever I have on hand in between coats of sealant.